Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Announced by Nancy Sinatra, Aug. 16, 2012: News From Mobile Fidelity

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! I thought this was a dead issue. Good to hear. :righton:

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm In!!! This is absolutely wonderful news :righton:

Lets hope the entire Sinatra Capitol catalogue gets this treatment.

4. Bob F

I'm hoping that WHERE ARE YOU? gets the monaural treatment by MoFi, as did FRANK SINATRA SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY.

The mono take of "Autumn Leaves" has never appeared on a USA CD (just an obscure French issue).

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I agree Bob, I'd love to see all those Early FS albums that were recorded in true mono be available in that form, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on our part.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

When my jaw hit the floor it woke up the wife. I did not see this announcement coming!

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Too bad they couldn't find another way to reissue "Only the Lonely" for you.:D

9. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Could someone please post what the news from MFSL actually is? I'm not a member of the SFF, and cannot access the announcement.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Bob included it in his post:

From Mobile Fidelity:

LP and SACD versions of

Swingin' Session
    No One Cares
    Where Are You

slated for October release. Earlier, if we get lucky.

11. Bob F

That's the entire post by Nancy S. (It's in the "What's New" section of SFF, which is not visible to non-members because it typically deals with internal forum matters.) Nancy usually gets the jump over "official" publicity channels. I expect we'll have more news direct from MFSL and/or FSE soon.

12. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Amen to that!!!

13. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I hope not October of next year :confused:
    I'm still waiting for the Miles Davis SACDs.

14. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great news and I hope they continue with more after these.

15. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I am very interested to hear all of these. The fact that they are avaible as a SACD and not just a gold CD is awesome.

I have a purple label reissue of Swingin' Session that really shows the potential of this tape and just plain beats the pants off the orignal MFSL in my opinion.

Of course it is impossible for anything to beat the 2 track reel tape of Where Are You. Hopefully this reissue will be like Nice N Easy and have the midrange correct compared to the previous MFSL versions.

No One Cares is also one of my favorites. There is some really subtle cymbal work in A Cottage For Sale that I never really noticed until I listened to the 1984 digital LP reissue.

16. These are all definite purchases if they are truly on SACD.

17. MLutthans

Yep, that MFSL LP of SWINGIN' SESSION is insanely bright to my ears.

Agreed, and agreed, although I wish that NO ONE CARES was a simple 3-mic stereo set-up like WHERE ARE YOU was, but it's still a pleasant listen on its own terms.

I'm pretty excited about these, I have to admit. Any word on the formatting for SACD? Stereo and mono mixes, maybe?

Matt

18. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I'll be damned! I figured we had seen the end of the line with MoFi and Sinatra. VERY excited!

I have a friend who for the past few years has made it a tradition to purchase one of the Sinatra vinyl titles for my birthday, and one for Christmas. We ran out of titles last year, so I told her I'd have to come up with a new idea this year. Looks like I may not have to. :)

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This is terrific news. I'm in.

20. This is great news, but when does MOFI issue Judy at Carnegie Hall on SACD? Now there is a prime candidate for MOFI remastering if ever there were one!

LAWRENCE SCHULMAN

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Love seeing more Mobile Fidelity Frank Sinatra titles being issued. The Capitol era is still a favorite.

22. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Here's a preliminary press release:

"This remastering project will be performed under the supervision of famous remastering engineer Bob Norberg. The sound on this MSFL release will be vastly enhanced by Norberg's patented technique of raising the level of the quiet passages (so you can actually hear them) and lowering the level of the loud passages (so you don't get blasted out of your seat by them). Norberg will further enhance these primitive mono recordings by "spreading out" the compressed mono sound into a more pleasing stereo effect....."

Just kidding folks. Thought I'd give MLutthans a scare!

mvmaltese likes this.
  23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The Sinatra family and others involved with Frank Sinatra Enterprises should be pushing the entire CAPITOL and REPRISE catalog into the "right caring hands", (read that Steve Hoffman or MFSL), just because of the way that "most" of these catalogs have been treated in the past. Between the horrible sounding Norberg mastered Capitol CD's and the remixing of the newer Walsh mastered Concord CD's, this MUST be addressed and soon. When I try to turn someone onto Sinatra and they pick up one of those remixed Sinatra "Hits" CD's on Concord, I just want to jump out of my skin, because they aren't any good, soundwise!

24. MLutthans

;) There's an informational brochure you need to read:

Attached Files:

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I damn near crapped my pants reading that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.