My new Line Magnetic 216IA Integrated Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here is my initial observations (or listenings?) of my new Line Magnetic 216IA KT88 based integrated tube amp.

The resolution of this amp is what really sealed the deal for me. I can hear Miles' breath through his trumpet, follow the bass line through a freak out Soft Machine jam and hear the more intricate sound effects added to Wilco's most recent album. I hate to use the cliched "I'm hearing things I've never heard before" bit, but it's really ringing true. Transients and decay are top notch, as you can hear symbols fade into the black abyss of sound.

The highs have a very airy sparkle to them. It's very delicate and never harsh. The low end is extremely tight and weighty, which makes my whole system sound quicker and more dynamic. And on top of all this is the added warmth that tubes provide. Never overly romantic, but just enough to really draw you into the sound. It's an extremely non-fatiguing amp.

Well, I can go on and on, but I know what you're all after. So, yada yada yada, here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Looks delicious. I really dig that bias meter. Congrats!

3. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

That is a beautiful amp i love there lm 218. An 845 set amp is a wondrous thing.

Echoes Myron and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Can you give us more info on your system that this amp goes with?

5. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

A beautiful and fine sounding amp. Congrats!

Look at his profile. :)

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

High quality at a budget price. Impossible to beat for the outlay...I've not heard a better sounding KT88 amp.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Congrats! I've had a tube amp at the heart of my system for over 25 years and I think I always will. That's a great looking amp.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Erocka2000

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying it. It's fun switching between triode and ultralinear modes on the fly. As Art mentioned, it truly is a fantastic value, also considering it has point to point wiring. That's not something you normally see on a sub $2k amp. If anyone is searching for a new tube integrated, you owe it to yourself to go have a listen to this beauty.

9. el34eh

el34eh Member

Hi Erocka 2000,

OMG!, so you broke down and went after one. Conguatulations. As Art and I've been talking about these amps for months now, I knew that there had to be something to them. As a few friends and I have listened to the Shindo Labs and Leben gear at Don Better Audio, we came away impressed enough so that the other two guys are thinking seriously about pursuing a Leben CS-600 for themselves. Whereas I've mentioned to one of them, that he should really be setting his sites on the LM Audio range, as it's more akin to the sound as heard through Shindo to my mind at least. Dale Shepard at Eugene Audio has told me he views it as the " Poorman's Shindo " and I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

But I've to ask you about your experience in tube rolling your amp, as your tubes appear stock!, and you should know that I picked up on that stock power cord as well. Please share with us ( me ) which direction you're considering going in replacing these?, inquiring minds - want to know.

I for one am quite happy for you, as always your taste/ears are excellent to say the least. You go boy!. Enjoy it for years to come, you've chosen wisely.

Regards,
    o_O scar

10. Erocka2000

Hey Oscar! So I've already put Psvane 12ax7s in. I have some Gold Lion KT88s arriving today and some NOS Sylvania 12bh7s coming as well. I'm pretty set with the rolling for now. As for the power cord, I haven't really thought about it yet. Perhaps in a few weeks I'll start researching. But I'm in no rush, as it's sounding fantastic right out of the box.

11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Good for you!

I got this exact amp about 6 months ago. I love it. I am using some old RCA 12ax7's and 12bh7's. I can't afford any NOS KT88's but I plan to get some J&J blue glass 88's. I listened to them at a friends house in a different amp and they were the best sounding KT88's we heard that day.

I love the hammer tone paint and the meter. This amp really gets hot. That center transformer can get too hot to touch.

12. el34eh

el34eh Member

Hey Bro,

It appears that once again you're doing well. However as listed below the RCA 12BH7's are nicer versions. In regards to the Psvane 12AX7's ( write me offline at ei6ca7 @ yahoo.com ) I've something to share with you.

I also have plenty of 12A*7 types if you're interested in borrowing some?, just a thought.

Once again, enjoy her.
    o_O scar

13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Looks great!

14. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Nice looking amp! Good price too.

I would be concerned with how little space you've given the amp. Tubes run very not and not having space around them to get some cooling will certainly shorten their lifespan.

15. inperson

inperson Senior Member

This is especially true for this amp. It's the hottest running amp I have, after my Almarro 6C33C.

16. Erocka2000

It looks like a much tighter space in the picture. It's pretty opened up and the whole rack is not far from my window. It gets hot, but nothing too crazy. That's having it on for 4 hours. Haven't had it on longer than that at one time yet.

17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Love the way it looks. If it sounds as sweet as it looks you have a winner.

18. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

The advertised power output would suggest the amp is running in class A.

jeff

19. Nice looking amp. I must admit that my C-J CAV-50 is a little jealous! :laugh: :cheers:

20. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Believe me, it sounds as good as it looks!

21. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Hey Erocka,

Fellow Brooklynite here, on a mission to own a setup similar to yours. Heading to In Living Stereo tonight to audition some Line Magnetics with Devores and Dynaudios. Just wondering if you bought yours locally and if so, what they sold for. Though, I understand if you don't want to share that information.

Did you compare this one with any other Line Magnetics? If so, what are your thoughts on the other models?

Also what size is your listening room?

As a sidenote, I'd love to see a pic of your DIY rack mentioned in your profile. Thinking of buying a new one myself sooner or later.

22. Erocka2000

Hey Naru,

I did buy my entire system at In Living Stereo, sans the Emotiva cd player. I was given a little bit of a discount, as I've purchased many items from them. It was nothing extraordinary, but still nice to have. Even at the MSRP of my amp, which I believe is $1,850, it is a screaming deal. I did also audition it against the Line Magnetic 211IA and the Leben CS300XS. The 211IA was nice, but I just had an EL-34 based amp and really liked the resolution of the KT-88 tubes in the 216IA. The Leben sounded wonderful on less demanding music, but I felt it ran out of steam, when tasked with some more aggressive music, being that it only outputs 12 watts. I liked the 216IA the best because of the resolution, bass control and clarity, so that's the one I bought. My listening room is about 20 x 12, but my system is set up in a 12 x 12 section. Here are some pics of my system, just scroll down the page: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ooms-here-part-10.293408/page-21#post-8373267

Cheers,
    Eric

cordobaman likes this.
  23. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

A thing of beauty, would only look better in my front room!

24. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info Eric.
    Do you use a sub with the Devores? My listening room is 14x13, so a similar size as yours. Just wondering how full the 3XLs sound in a room that size.

Did you try out any Dynaudios at ILS with this amp?

25. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Have you rolled tubes since you purchased it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.