Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2012-2013 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

'Saturday Night Live' Season 38 Premiere Date Announced

The new season kicks off without Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg and Abby Elliott on Sept. 15.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/saturday-night-live-season-38-premiere-364510

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Why, Abby, why??

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Those three musical acts mean absolutely nothing to me.
    Does that mean I'm old?
    Give it to me straight.
    Thank you.

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I ain't heard of any of them neither.

6. Perhaps you are, seeing as Muse at least are old news. And speaking of straightness (or not), Frank Ocean is the first R&B/hip hop vocalist to come out of the closet. An interesting pairing with Seth Macfarlane, who in a less PC age might've thrown a zinger or two at Ocean in the monologue. Anyway, should be a good ep if the writers are on form.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

For old folks: Frank Ocean is a pretty good 'get' for SNL's opener.

I say the 'old folk' thing with a grin as I find myself approaching the 'old folks' tag much too fast.

8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I"m looking forward to both Muse and Mumford. Enjoy them both! All three of those hosts could be good as well.

Curious who will be the new cast members. I don't think Elliott was on the show long enough.

9. and if Seth leaves his writers at home. I was just reading a bit of "Live From New York" where they talk about the hosts and they universally disliked the stars that showed up with their own writers - Jerry Seinfeld and Tom Green were two that were named. OTOH, they were very happy with people like Conan O'Brien, whose writing staff was right downstairs but who showed up writer-free and placed himself in the the staff's hands. Hopefully Seth will do that, too.

10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

um, I hate to say it, but these three musical acts are not really that out there. Good choices, but hardly obscure or edgy...I guess they can't have Paul Simon every year...

11. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

How about Paul McCartney as the musical guest with Steve Martin hosting? Now THAT would be a show!

;)

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

None of those three acts get me super-excited, but they're pretty much the kind of up-and-coming, contemporary (well, I guess Muse are pretty established by now) artists who have always featured on SNL. In recent years, they've artists as "edgy" as Sleigh Bells and as established as Mick Jagger, so I don't think there's any one criterion that they follow in picking the musical guests.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I suspect that Taran Killam and Vanessa Bayer will get bumped from featured cast members to full cast members, and they'll get some new featured cast members.

14. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! for sharing. I am always ready for the next season of SNL!

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

According to Wikipedia, she's joining the cast of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

I had no idea how young she was (25), but she may have been frustrated playing the straight girl to everyone else's characters. I would think SNL would be a pretty good launching pad to supporting roles in movies and then to larger roles.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Muse is great. Never heard of Frank Ocean before now. I have heard of Mumford, but have no opinion and don't even know what kind of music they are. Guess I'll find out when they're on.

Maybe, though with Kristin now gone, she probably would have had much more opportunity to do characters of her own. Other than just Zooey Deschanel, anyway. Guess we'll never know. I'm really ticked she's gone though. Her and Vanessa were my favorites.

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I agree. It seems like she left just as she was about to star.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Vanity Fair: Seth Meyers on Who Will Play Paul Ryan on Saturday Night Live: “We’ve Got a Real Horse Race”

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2012/08/saturday-night-live-paul-ryan-cast-member

19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

And folks going "who are they? Who is the grey dude dad?"

"Oh he used to be funny years ago son!"

20. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Yeah, she definitely left too early, IMO. And for How I Met Your Mother? I'm sure it'll pay good, and get her face time on a big ratings show, but it's also a show on its way out. Makes sense though....I think she'll get more recognition for being on that show. Not sure if it will help build a reputation, though.

21. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I've actually never heard of Frank Ocean, which surprises me. Definitely heard of the other two. Not a huge Muse fan, but I like Mumford & Sons.

I can't see myself watching the premiere because Seth MacFarlane annoys me to no end. But the second episode is a must-watch. A good musical guest, and I really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

22. John Egan

John Egan Active Member

Not surprised about Abby. Her handful of impersonations were less than indispensable and she never created a character. The 3 women left are versatile and full of energy so we'll see plenty from them.

The music hasn't meant to me for 30 years but I don't think their responsibility goes much beyond having a reasonable mix of people who can deliver a song. It certainly is not to be "edgy" any more than it is to appeal to geezers.

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

So Fred can play Barack but Keenan and Jay can't play Paul Ryan? ;)

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good point. Fred also does Prince and George Lopez. He does all of them fine, imo, although the Barack impersonations aren't funny. I think it would be pretty funny if Jay did Paul Ryan, though most people know so little about Ryan that I don't know what jokes you can do that will go over with a mass audience.

25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I hope they show more of writer John Mulaney this season. I love his stand-up work and his Girl Guide cookies editorial on Weekend Update way back was smart and funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.