Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #39)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I answered your Cziffra question in the other thread. :righton:

2. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Nothing to be embarrassed about, if anything you should be proud to be in the position to be able to continually buy all that music in the first place and have the space to keep it (and by the sounds of things, like with many other posters here, your collection seems larger than I'll ever be able to amass in my lifetime), unheard or not. Not many avid music fans have that kind of privilege, assuming they're interested in more than just downloads.

3. George P

Thanks for the positive spin! :wave:

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Those super cheap boxes from Sony are really bare-boned sets that do not even have liner notes.

5. coopmv

I will have to stop buying CD's for at least 6 months or perhaps 9 months before I can fully catch up with my listening ...

6. coopmv

This is the first time I see this CD ... :righton:

7. George P

The CD is OOP, I think, but the performances are included in the Hungary CD set.

8. coopmv

I may yet pull the trigger on Richter in Hungary ...

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Actually some of them do (at least the Schumann Anniversary box I bought about a year ago, as well as the recently acquired Nina Simone The Complete Columbia Albums set). But you're right - there are too many "bare bones" sets too, occasionally to the point of "tactile, visual and intellectual unpleasantness" (I mean - cutting the price is OK, but why to sell a product which looks and feels inferior to some CD-R promos?). For any physical product there must be some kind of liner notes at the very least. Labels became too lazy in their generosity.

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Your trigger is truly restless and unstoppable. :winkgrin:

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks George, I think I'll go with the red-book set for the sake of music and nothing more. As I'm aging and my hearing is deteriorating, I can relax and exclude the hi-rez factor from every purchase I make. I'm still really loving the best of SACD's and DVD-A's and am able to distinguish their virtues, but as for the rest of them - even change of weather/pressure these days can cause my will to spend some extra on a supposedly higher resolution product to disappear, especially when there are absolutely competent red-book alternatives which cost next to nothing and don't sound inferior six days a week.

BTW, I'll ask it here, did you hear the Richter SACD set from the Signature series? I already have his Grieg/Schumann combo on Melodiya LP but may consider selling it if the SACD set, which adds the Dvorak, is essential. Or should I simply buy his Dvorak on EMI or DG as a separate red-book disc and call it a day?

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am listening to a lot of piano recordings recently.
    Among them is this performance of the two Schubert's sonatas (d894 and d784) on an original 1800s pianoforte by Howard Shelley.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346411812.948253.jpg

As soon as you get used to the sound of the period pianoforte (less sustain etc.) you realize that these are very nice performances, exceptionally well played and interpreted.
    After I listened to Shelley, it made me to realize how painfully long and slow is Richter's version of the first movement of the sonata in G. I like both in a way, but for now I prefer Shelley's more down to earth approach.
    Anyway, this disc has also a great sound. Very highly recommended.

13. George P

No, I haven't heard it. I had a copy in my basket in a store recently and it didn't make my cull before getting to the register. I already have all the music in the EMI box, so I figured I wouldn't bother, at least for now. (plus, I don't own a SACD player) The Dvorak is lovely, though, worth grabbing for sure.

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Now spinning this cd for the first time:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346414656.240230.jpg

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep, I hear you - I extremely rarely, if ever, re-purchase anything only to switch to a "better" format too. :wave:

OTOH, I'm somewhat surprised that this whole Signature SACD series didn't cause more excitement among us, esp. considering that these "bargains" were sourced from a Japanese bunch which was initially priced almost like the Esoteric discs. Or is it rather a matter of the odd repertoire choices?

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I think a lot of us were excited about these releases and we (I) hope that they will continue with more. Great price, great sound, interesting package what is not to like?

17. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing for a first listen

CD 2 from this nicely done Hugo Wolf bargain set, one of my relatively recent acquisitions. Anne Sofie von Otter and Olaf Bar accompanied by Geoffrey Parsons perform songs from the Spanish Songbook. The best current price can probably be found here.

Attached Files:

18. George P

EMI has issued and reissued some of that stuff so many times that a yawn from collectors is inevitable. Plus, this is EMI we are talking about, a label that has never been known for their sound quality.

19. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

The price is certainly OK. :agree: What is your take (if there's one) on comparing the Cziffra and Richter sets with the earlier red-book editions?

20. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yes, the redundancy is definitely too obvious, only the Bruckner set is somewhat obscure choice among these. And, considering the press release hoopla, I was unpleasantly surprised that they still felt the need to use CEDAR in the final product, even sparingly. While we had been spoiled by huge bunches of red-books priced like blanks, it wasn't that frustrating, but in this case?

Interestingly, the Audite label has ultimately different approach to its archival SACD's. They put both processed (moderately no-noised, edited and EQ-ed) and straight transfers on the same hi-rez layer (but only the processed one on the red-book layer). In the case of the SACD I have, I prefer the straight transfer, although the processed one isn't that different from the better releases from, say, DG Originals series, i.e. it's tolerable.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. The Cziffra is in my to-buy-soon list and the Richter in my to-listen-soon list!
    But judging from the other releases that I have listened to extensively, namely the Bruckner with Schuricht, Elgar and Delius with Du Pre, and Mozart with Klemperer, I expect them to sound very good.
    I have compared the sacds to the original first pressing LPs and I would definitely say that they sound equally good, if not better as in the case of Klemperer.

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Nice to know. I'm looking forward to your "real life evaluation" of the Richter set, as well as the Cziffra's one. :wave:

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Is that a new recording? I have a two disc set including D958-960 plus several shorter works.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That. Designed to insure scratched discs.

Interestingly HDTracks has HiRes titles from EMI not available on SACD. But for the most part, their prices are higher than the prices for the physical media.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No this was made back in 1985/1987. Is this the one you have?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346418895.612600.jpg

Then it should be the same as it seems that they re-released it in a remastered form and they added d958 and d959.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.