Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #39)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Agreed, I was trying to be polite!

2. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Enjoying this repeat Proms broadcast on BBC Radio 3 of all of Vaughan William's middle three symphonies (4-6), commonly regarded as his symphonic masterpieces, a programme unique in Proms if not in the whole of concert history. Still another two glorious hours of music to come with the rambunctious scherzo of the 4th playing, a real treat!

More detail and mostly glowing reviews on this here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m5lb2
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/17/prom-46-bbcsso-manze-review

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's what I have, although my copy predates the "Originals" logo.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Frustrating, because Alan Yoshida is mastering Blue Note (owned by EMI) titles for HDTracks (and XRCD). I'd love to see what he could do with some of EMI's better recordings from the late 70's (IMHO their peak from an SQ perspective).

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The xrcd Blue Note(s) by Yoshida are THE best, sound quality-wise, releases of these classic albums. They sound incredible and you don't need to have sacd capability to enjoy them!

6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Been spending a little bit of time with this when work and life is not getting in the way of music. My introduction to Shubert and a good one at that.

[​IMG]

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

just playing the Emperor from this TAHRA CD (1952) and sounds wonderful:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's amazing music, I still love Murray Perahia's version of Schubert's Impromptus for their grace and gentle manner. Brendel's version is also exceptional, it's clear he loves this music.

[​IMG]

9. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

If you currently look down the lists of EMI releases and the greatest part of them is regurgitated Callas Janet Baker, Schwartzkopf, Fischer -Dieskau, Barbarolli, Barenboim, Rattle etc - ad infintium. The latest version releases are probably the 20th or 30th re-release, for some.

How many times can EMI remaster Callas' 1953 Tosca and improve it? The last time I brought it, it was in 24 bit - like the rest of a 71 complete box of her entire studio output...(with every studio opera and recital, plus some live operas) she ever did. Cost : 71 discs for $99. About $1.35 a disc. May I politely put it in big letters to EMI ...what they are continuing to do :is BORING!:eek:
    From the era many of their discs are, EMI's sound is not exactly in the slightest : modern 'top drawer' anyway. I nearly choked seeing what EMI decided to release allegedly "in SACD sound" ! You cannot get gold out of lead sounding performances.

No matter how cheap...how cares? If we did not purchase these performances decades ago., I do not see why we should essentially need them now. All most of them are are -re-packaged, and reassorted into some other new crazy over-lapping configuration. I have shut the door down on these EMI silly series of 'releases'.

10. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

If you currently look down the lists of EMI releases and the greatest part of them is regurgitated Callas Janet Baker, Schwartzkopf, Fischer -Dieskau, Barbarolli, Barenboim, Rattle etc - ad infintium. The latest version releases are probably the 20th or 30th re-release, for some. WE must also not forget these EMI releases of the same material in other guises from say EMI France or EMI German Electrola , in the past as well.

How many times can EMI remaster Callas' 1953 mono Tosca and improve it? It still has the same boxy overloaded sound at the end of Act 1 ,during the Te Deum scene - it always had. The last time I brought it, it was in 24 bit - like the rest of a 71 complete box of her entire studio output...(with every studio opera and recital, plus some live operas) she ever did. Cost : 71 discs for $99. About $1.35 a disc. May I politely put it in big letters to EMI ...what they are continuing to do :is BORING!:eek:
    From the era many of their discs are, EMI's sound is not exactly in the slightest : modern 'top drawer' anyway. I nearly choked seeing what EMI decided to release allegedly "in SACD sound" ! You cannot get gold out of lead sounding performances.

No matter how cheap...how cares? If we did not purchase these performances decades ago., I do not see why we should essentially need them now. All most of them are are -re-packaged, and reassorted into some other new crazy over-lapping configuration. I have shut the door down on these EMI silly series of 'releases'.

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now listening to this CD I picked up today.

12. George P

^
    Ever buy a CD, get home and listen to it and know right away that you'd never be listening to it again? Valentina sounds nervous, young Not in a good way either), chooses tempos poorly (invariably, they are too fast) and when she tries to put her own spin on a work, it invariably rubs me the wrong way. I do not recommend the above CD.

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Usually not on the first listen. I will try again.... after a few more listens if nothing, then they go to the used CD store.

I can maybe name one or two that I never listened to again but they will remain a mystery for fear of rubbing anyone the wrong way. :D

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

i was kind of surprised you bought this one

15. George P

I am too. :laugh:

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Note to Decca: When titling a CD "So and So Live," you would do best to avoid cover photos that make her look like a corpse.

I generally try to avoid the "lookie what I just bought" type postings, but I'll make an exception here, because the CDs are rather off the beaten path, and they took a peculiar path getting to me. They are Japanese issues, featuring a Japanese orchestra, sold to an American collector through a Swiss dealer. The Internet definitely has made the world a smaller place! Anyhow, while they feature distinguished soloists, the point of interest for me was/is conductor Kurt Woss, a name that will be familiar to those among us who collect early LPs, as in the very late '40s/early '50s he was a stalwart of Remington Records, the granddaddy of all budget LP labels. He was working in Austria at that time, but shortly thereafter he accepted the position of principal conductor of the NHK SO. Hence these releases. (After that he went on to Australia--Melbourne, I think. Any of our friends from that neck of the woods aware of local issues featuring his work?) So far I've played only the Gieseking account of Beethoven's Emperor, but unfortunately with numerous interruptions and in an environment (at work) where I couldn't give it more than sporadic attention. I can say that the audio quality is not outstanding but quite decent for its period, aside from a pronounced tape glitch in the 3d mvt. :sigh:

Loibner, by the by, was also a good Remington man. As far as I know, Martinon never appeared on Remington, but he did show up on the contemporary Urania label. I'll confess that I have little Martinon in my collection, but oddly enough of that little a significant item, the Dvorak Slavonic Dances with the LSO, is also on a Japanese issue, albeit LP.

Attached Files:

17. George P

That Gieseking CD looks tasty.

18. George P

:laugh:

19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Sony is late to the big box game. This company has been very poorly run for a number of years ...

20. coopmv

Looks like you will have a CD for sale soon ... :D

21. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I ' ve said it before, I am going to say it again. As years go by, I 've become more and more an admirer of Karajan. This is a beautiful recording and for sure among the top ten La Mers.
    The sonorities that Karajan manages to create out of the Berlin Philharmonic are out of this world IMO.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Goin' Home

Rose River Bear sent me the 2-CD set of Karajan's 1977 recordings of Beethoven's 5, 6 and 9. I owned these recordings when they came out and was underwhelmed at the time. My stereo is better than it was when these records first appeared and these are good transfers. I detect some judicious use of Lexicon to glue the various elements of the close-miked, multi miked recording. The bass is better, though most likely that's the Maggies and the subs. I've only heard the Ninth so far. It's the most Brucknerian recording I've heard of the first two movements, with powerful, on-point work from the brass. Everybody is on point in a way that resembles Toscanini. Karajan's fermata over "Stedt vor Gott," is as grand and as intense as Furtwängler's at Bayreuth. I'm impressed, particularly by the singing of the chorus in the finale.

Thanks Frank. I'm now inspired to offer up, on the same terms as RBB, this CD of Christoph von Dohnányi leading the Cleveland Orchestra in Dvorak's "New World" Symphony. I finally have the 2-CD set with symphonies 7 and 8 in my favorite performance, this is now duplicate.First PMed, first served, continental USA only.

[​IMG]

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

I need to sit down with it when I can actually pay concentrated attention. Gieseking plays only the Emperor; Gilels does the honors in the others (with Loibner at the helm; Woss appears only with Gieseking). Haven't even tried those as "background music."

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Play dat funkee muse-ic , what boy . . .

We have a winner!

DRH, the dude with the funky looking record player, will receive one of the best performed and recorded versions of the "New World." Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.