Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #39)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The thread is the place to be on SH forums. What a great Ninth and what a great offer. A fabulous second movement on this recording IMO. Worth it for that alone.

Someone grab it. :cheers:

2. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Aw, you got me really excited there for a second. :(

Still drh would've beaten me to it anyway, so I don't feel too bad. Although I know at least one person in Seattle I could ask one of you CMCers to send it to next time one of those freebie offers comes up...

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This recording was actually made in 1986 ...

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

How that works? I might have a few duplicates to give away.

5. Rose River Bear

First PM gets the CD for free! Robin is also doing the same as I did out of appreciation for all that contribute here. A great way to share in the music we love.

I will be putting a few more out for the taking within a few days. :cheers:

6. Rose River Bear

IMO there is no better La Mer than this. I have around a dozen or so and this one always gets me. :cheers:

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thank you! I'll be looking forward to hearing it. The same forces' account of the 8th has been a favorite ever since I got it as one of my "join now and get X CDs free" offerings from the late, lamented BMG club not long after acquiring my very first CD player (not, I hasten to add, the same piece of gear depicted to the left!).

This generous offer is a nice way to recover from an unaccountable power outage that robbed me of nearly all the "do what you like" time my wife kindly had given me by taking my daughter skating tonight. I might actually have spun up said funky record player had I not gotten a case of the responsibles and instead set to work on some furniture rearrangement needed in my daughter's room. By oil lamp light, yet.

8. Rose River Bear

If you want one of my freebies, you got it the next time they come up. Keep on the lookout.....I have a few this week that I will offer. :cheers:

9. Rose River Bear

I missed the post before me. DRH got lucky and got a great disc. Enjoy!

10. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Correct!

The Paul Crossley Complete Debussy Piano box from Sony, -4 CDs in envelopes in a box. No booklet. Items only separately specified on the back of the envelopes and the box itself _ Yes Sony is lousy in such respects.:realmad:

But if we go to the recent Debussy boxes of Piano with Fergus -Thompson or the one with Martinon conducting Debussy Orchestral Works.( a re-issue from EMI ) they have nice booklets in each box! Both of these, are from Brilliant Classics. A label I am warming to, very much indeed.:)

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Cool, thanks, I 'll take a look, I know that I have a few duplicates around.

12. Tangledupinblue

Cheers, would you be prepared to mail it to the UK or would you rather you sent it to this guy in Seattle I mentioned above?

Alternatively, I know quite a few people in Canada, including this great couple in Vancouver who would be only too happy to receive/send it.

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Sony released the 80CD Glenn Gould Complete Original Jacket Collection in September 2007, the first big box of a franchise artist since RCA's Rubinstein collection in 1999 (and a lot cheaper).

14. Rose River Bear

Yes...I will be willing to send it way way overseas next time I put one up.:D
    We all are here for the music. But......ya gotta be quick the next time I offer one up. :D

I have a few great ones that I will offer over the next few days. :cheers:

15. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The big 42

Cool, my birthday is tomorrow. :wave:

16. George P

I have and enjoy his 1965 recording of that work.

I am a big fan of La Mer, it's a gorgeous work. I think the only other recording I have of it is Munch, which I love.

I never, ever get rid of a CD. Among the few dozen or so I have gotten rid of, I have either bought a few all over again or wanted to, but wasn't able due to unavailability.

:laugh: (please PM me, as I am curious)

Gilels? Even better! Were they early Gilels recordings? As i am sure you know, he was a much more explosive, unrestrained pianist early on in his career.

17. Tangledupinblue

A bit curious what you mean by "put her own spin" - isn't that what you expect most pianists to do? The best pianists rarely follow exactly what's on the printed page as written by the composer (she doesn't sound like one of the "best pianists" from your description, of course, but you get my drift).

18. George P

Yes, I do expect pianists to put their own spin on things. (and to be clear, when I say their own spin, I mean their own individual interpretation) I expect and I prefer it, actually. And though I welcome this approach wholeheartedly, there are times (like here) where my taste doesn't match that of the pianist. Sometimes I enjoy an intepretation immediately, other times it makes me sit up and re-evaluate prior recordings I have heard. Still other times (as with the Valentina CD), I listen and say (no, no, No, NO!) throughout.

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Andre Kostelanetz Conducts the Music of Alan Hovhaness [Columbia Masterworks M 34537 LP ℗ 1976, 1977 © 1977, white label promo w/ gold-foil stamp on back, Produced by Teo Macero, Engineering: Frank Laico, Russ Payne, Recorded at Columbia's 30th Street Studios, New York City —*no ensemble listed, ad-hoc ensemble of NY session players —*the draw of this LP is the excellent Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám (with some very cool, unique-sounding accordion solos), which was another in a line of Kostelanetz introductions or commissions: Copland's Lincoln Portrait and Schuman's New England Triptych, among others]

Side A
      -The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám (world première recording), narrated by Douglas Fairbanks Jr., accordion solo: Carmen Carrozza
      -Sunrise
      -Meditation On Orpheus, Op. 155*

Side B
      -And God Created Great Whales, for orchestra and taped whale sounds, Op. 229, No. 1*
      -Fantasy On Japanese Woodprints, Op. 211*, xylophone solo: Yoichi Hiraoka
      -Floating World, Op. 209*

* previously released

Attached Files:

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I can't see any valid points in your criticism. They have released some SACDs when we thought we would never see EMI do this format again. So they pick some big titles, makes sense. Most are classic performances, in lovely packages at a fraction of the price you would pay for SACDs from other sources.

I think they are brilliant releases and hopefully they will continue with the series. Blimey, you see people moaning about companies not releasing things or not releasing them in hi def and then when a company does release something good all people do is moan. If they are not for you fair enough, save your money, but no need to moan so.

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I was listening to Perahia playing Bach Partitas via MOG earlier this week. I was thinking a box set of Perahia playing Bach would be nice. . .

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, his two discs with the Partitas are great. Beautiful performances with great sound quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

• I never thought that Kostelanetz would have made a record conducting Hovhanness, in my mind I have always associated him with light, easy listening type of music.
      Interesting!

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Indeed, these are great!

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm spending the morning with Mendelssohn. After listening to the piano concertos 1&2 (Katsaris, Masur, Gewandhausorchester), it's the symphonies from the Lenny box now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.