Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

LOL! ME too. Remember I was just goofy over the mono version first time I heard "Brazil"? You were the one who explained all the extra-microphones to me. "Tis a gorgeous mono mix.

2. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I only just picked up a nice gray label mono pressing of this and I agree, it is great.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I like the mono mix and actually play it fairly frequently, BUT (there had to be a but, right?) the heavy reverb rubs me the wrong way more than the distortion those few stereo tracks have. Both versions have their own sets of pros and cons.

Matt

4. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

Playing my gray label LP (N10) right now... the beauty of well recorded mono is amazing!

5. MLutthans

Unboxing Video!

Fellow member "beachboydw" recently sold to me a sealed original mono pressing of COME FLY WITH ME over on Ebay (thank you), and he sent along a note asking me to let him know what was actually in that sealed sleeve, so please enjoy this incredibly well produced unboxing video that the cat and I just finished recording. You'll notice that the cat has way more personality than I do, and she's a better public speaker.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIMuiRXbO4I

Matt

McLover likes this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

HOW DOES IT SOUND????? I was as excited as your cat watching you open that!!!

McLover likes this.
  7. MLutthans

I haven't played it yet! I just opened it! ;-)

Seriously, I'll plop it on ye olde phonograph later tonight and report back.

Matt

8. MLutthans

OK -- I opened, I plopped, I listened. (See above.)

Here are some interesting tidbits, and the 30-second samples line up with what's offered for free on iTunes.

1. https://www.box.com/s/tbqhdtqvq8siba7922cd -- This clip starts with the Capitol 180g reissue of a few years back, and at the word "just," it transitions into the "new" N19 pressing.

2. https://www.box.com/s/f35120vkzpjbrfu4qxq4 - This clip start with the 180g reissue and transitions into the "new" D24 pressing at the phrase "this time."

Here's what's odd to my ears:

•On clip one, I literally cannot tell the difference between the 180g and N19, which was pressed in Los Angeles using a NYC cut from the dupe tapes. (Huh??? Correct me if I'm wrong: That little star symbol indicates an LA pressing, right? ...but it's an N19 cut.)

•On clip two, the 180g pressing has better tone and much-improved dynamics compared to the D24 side, which was cut an pressed in Los Angeles from the session tape.

Weird....

Matt

9. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Its nice to finally hear your voice, Matt!

(and kinda almost even see you in the lacquer....)

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The cat had better "stage precense" though.:D

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I completely agree. Is it "odd" to have two different pressings on one LP? I know you've said that once the label got to "12 o'clock" anything was possible.

Either way, excellent sounding mono!

12. MLutthans

I think that this is the first Capitol pressing -- and I'm sure it's the first Capitol/Los Angeles pressing -- I have that has an N cut on one side and a D on the other, but that may just be faulty memory on my part, and as far as the cat goes: She's 16 and I love her to death, but she is an absolute chatterbox, and if she's in the room and I pick up the phone, I'm not kidding, she'll jump right up on the desk and meow incessantly right into the phone, to the point that if I see on called I.D. that it's a "professional" call, I literally have to go out to the garage to avoid the cat chatter, and she'll still belly-ache like crazy through the garage door. It's never boring with her around, I'll tell ya, and anybody I've ever Skyped with has gotten to know the cat PDQ!

Here's Milady, just because....
    Pic 1: Just a LITTLE piece of blanket was on the floor of the rec room.
    Pic 2: Had to get a drink during the bathroom remodel
    Pic 3: With my wife, Jessica. (She worships my wife more than I do, if that's possible.)

Sorry! Back to Frank!

Attached Files:

McLover likes this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I thought that was odd to have 2 different pressings. She is one beautiful cat. 16, huh? Enjoy every minute.

P.S. Looks like I will be playing a mono "CFWM" today for sure!

McLover likes this.
  14. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

me too!

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Isn't the 9 o'clock label with "Long Playing High Fidelity" at the bottom of the label the first pressing?

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Or did Capitol not press those 9 o'clocks in '58?

17. MLutthans

Um, Jack? You only read half of the sentence. Here's the gist of what I was saying:
    In other words, of all the pressings I have, I think this is the first one that has an N on one side and a D on the other, but I know for 100% sure that I don't have any other Los Angeles pressings that have an N on one side and a D on the other. (The fact that it's a LA pressing using NYC tapes on one side really caught my eye.) I'm not saying it's a "first pressing," just that it's the first one I've seen that has that particular characteristic. I should have worded that more clearly in my earlier post. Sorry!

Yes, the earliest pressings were gray label, then 9:00 rainbow, then 12:00 rainbow, which is what this pressing is.

Matt

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Earlier in this thread (post #58) I wrote that my yellow label promo (with 9 o'clock style print) has N2/D4#3 stampers. I also have a gray label copy that is N2/D3. Matt does the sealed copy you opened have the stamped script matrix numbers? Makes me wonder if there are Los Angeles "D" cut side ones?

19. MLutthans

The sealed copy had hand-written script on both sides, sorry, but boy....how odd that there is apparently an assortment of N/D pressings out there.

Now, I know that not everybody will agree with this, but to my ears (on the samples posted in post #183 above), the side one clip (that features a segue from the new 180g to the N19 pressing), the 180g copy and N19 copy sound incredibly similar. Makes me wonder.

Anybody out there have a mono US pressing with a D stamper on side one?

Matt

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Sorry about that. I was trying to do two or three things in a hurry at one time when I wrote that post and should have been concentrating on one.

I've never seen different pressing indications on each side, either.

I was also wrong about,

The very first pressing is a grey label with "Long Playing High Fidelity" at the bottom of the label.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I only have two mono copies - one gray label my father bought new in 1958 that has "N" lacquers on both sides, and another gray label that is an N side one, and a D side two (I don't remember the lacquer #'s for either off hand).

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Beautiful feline. Must have some Siamese in her, they are talkers. Very nice getting to hear your voice for the first time, Matt. Nice video. I'd say this is a 1963 pressing as the inner sleeve is from around that period. Beautiful find.

23. MLutthans

It appears as though there are "D" copies out there. Here's a shot I grabbed off of Ebay tonight, and I've over-exposed it in Photoshop to get the detail in the deadwax area, and it looks like thats a "D6" in the upper left.

Attached Files:

24. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The best sounding version for me is a mono gray label LP pressing with N2 #4 Side 1 and D7 #3 Side 2 lacquers with "anvil" stamp (and "Long Playing High Fidelity" at the bottom of the label). Found a NM one after years of searching (and passing one up for $40). The original stereo release, MFSL, and Capitol 180 gm are all very good, but not nearly as compelling IMO.

25. MLutthans

Bob F and mikrt17 like this.