Sinatra's I've Got the World on a String - Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt: Thank you for rescuing me from anonymity by "splicing" in my name.

—Your friend, "Guest" :D

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

You're welcome, Bob! :)

It's "clean" (no splice/dropout/whatever) on my circa 1968 mono "This is Sinatra" LP.

Matt

EDIT: IT's an "F21," indicating a Hollywood Scully tube cut made 1967 or later.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

For those who care.

Here are my old notes on I'VE GOT THE WORLD ON A STRING".

Master 11,504-10. (Take 10)., 15 ips full track.

Recorded April 30, 1953, engineer J. P.

Original "A" take on Capitol T-768-A ("This Is Sinatra", side one).

Dub on Fono Reel.

Nelson Riddle conducting.

Tape damage at beginning, oxide missing from crumple. Damage at unknown time.

----------------
    What this means to me is that the tape was damaged at the start at some point in history. The dub on the phono reel (for storing safety songs and singles that aren't on LP's) could possibly not have the damage if it was dubbed early in the history.

No splice at the intro.

If the 78 has no "crumple" it was either cut with the dub tape or it was cut with the master before damage occurred.

That is as good as I can do, I don't have the original 78 (thought I did, sorry). I'll pull my "This Is Sinatra" LP out and give a listen, assuming it was cut from "A Take" master LP reel.

You can do the same if you have the LP of THIS IS SINATRA. If yours was cut in Hollywood it was done from the master "A TAKES" reel and you can hear if it has the crumple or not. If not, we know that the damage happened later on in life and that the "phono dub copy" wouldn't have it.

All of the songs on THIS IS SINATRA (volume one only!) are from the original session tapes, in other words, the LP reel has all the originals (with edits, etc.) spliced in LP order right on the reel. My old LP sounds like crap though, go figure.

joshm2286 and Bob F like this.
  4. MLutthans

Okay, goofy question, Steve: Since this song was a single long before it was on THIS IS SINATRA, was the A master originally on a Fono Reel, then physically cut out of that Fono Reel, placed into the THIS IS SINATRA master reel, and replaced on the fonoreel by a dub? I'm guessing "yes."

5. Steve Hoffman

Yes, same for the other 11 songs on THIS IS SINATRA. The phono reel cards direct you to T-768 for the masters for all 12 songs.

THIS IS SINATRA VOLUME TWO is the exact opposite, the LP is all dubs and the originals are on phono reels.

joshm2286 likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Cool! Thanks!

7. MLutthans

See my EDIT in post #27 above.

Matt

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There's a lot of us who care, Steve. Love to see ALL your old notes!

joshm2286 likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

So the damage happened later on in life.

One could use the "clean" intro from the dub copy and the remainder of the song from the master to make a perfect version of take 10. Groovy. Too bad it will never happen..:shake:

I made those notes in 1992 when it seemed like DCC was going to get the Sinatra catalog. Glad I could put this one to some good use after all these years.

Tommyboy, CBackley, Ere and 2 others like this.
  10. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Glad I asked :)
    Now playing the version on This is Sinatra - 9 o'clock rainbow.
    thanks!

11. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Who has the 78?
    Frank on Capitol 78 are rare as hen's teeth around here... Columbia's by the crateful, however...

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. MLutthans

I think the last USA Capitol 78s for Frank were in 1958, "Nothing in Common"/"How Are Ya Fixed for Love." After that, all the singles were 45 only, at least in the USA. (Corrections welcome!)

Matt

13. Ere

Ere Senior Member

His Capitol 78s are also rare on ebay... did marketing for him favor LPs from 1953 on?

14. MLutthans

Here are the opening few seconds from two pressings, in case anybody wishes to hear what the discussion is about:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7qgH1HDldamTTg1cURUeEVkQ3M

It starts with my 1960s "Star Line" Hollywood-cut pressing (no defect), and alternates with the 1984 digitally remastered cut (w/defect). The glitch comes right after that initial, big, fat note on the second sample. You'll hear it.

Attached Files:

15. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

:(

How sad is it that THAT never happened?

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  16. niceneasy

niceneasy Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Nobody in the business deserves a proper comprehensive reissue treatment in audiophile format like Capitol Sinatra does.

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Hi Steve:
    Are you saying that the 78 was cut from a different take (B) than the version (A) that appeared on the This is Sinatra! lp?

18. Steve Hoffman

No, only one take with an insert. Different tape copies. A & B are just different tape machines or the A was dubbed onto B.

Ere likes this.
  19. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

I was hoping that the U.K. compilation This Is Sinatra 1953-1957 didn't have this glitch but unfortunately it does.

20. niceneasy

niceneasy Well-Known Member

Looks like the tape damage occurs at least as early as 1984.

Any folks with 70s pressings that may have this fault, so we can try to figure out around about when it happened?

joshm2286 likes this.
  21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Which goes to disprove the misconception that the 1994 2-CD MFP set used the same tapes as the 1998 21-CD UK box set, SINATRA: THE CAPITOL YEARS. The THIS IS SINATRA! disc in the big box set does not have the glitch. The earlier MFP product stems from inferior sources, in comparison to the box set, IMO.

22. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

23. Steve Hoffman

Reopened

stereoguy, Bob F and GuildX700 like this.
  24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

>>>>>>You must have had promo and "Radio Service" copies which were vinyl. The hundreds of thousands of disks that went into the record stores were overwhemingly shellac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.