Led Zeppelin - 2007 Show (DVD/CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

posted over at Blabbermouth: finally??

According to a posting (since removed) on the web site of Belgian classic rock radio station RTBF, LED ZEPPELIN's reunion for the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert at London's O2 Arena in December 2007 will finally be released on DVD and CD in November. Citing sources at Warner Music, the site reported that the set will consist of a double DVD accompanied by two CDs.

An estimated nine million people applied for the 18,000 tickets to the O2 Arena show, which featured Jason Bonham taking his late father's place behind the drum kit.

In its review of the concert, NME.com wrote that LED ZEPPELIN singer Robert Plant spoke little during the show, but when he did, it was mostly to pay tribute to Ertegun, who he said after first encore "Whole Lotta Love", "ran the best label in the world" in Atlantic Records.

Speaking to the Los Angeles radio station KLOS in December 2010, Jason stated about the prospect of the concert being released on DVD, "Nothing is official, as yet. I only know that because Robert had said that he'd watched it. I really do hope that it eventually will see the light of day. It's just nice to know that Robert had seen it, so I knew something, but it was nice that he rang up and said, 'Wow, it sounded great.' Fingers crossed, everybody… fingers crossed."

In an interview with U.K.'s Telegraph.co.uk, Plant was asked about ZEPPELIN's 2007 reunion concert. "I really had a wonderful time," said Plant. "It was the best LED ZEPPELIN gig since 1975."

When asked if he would do it again, Plant replied, "I don't think so. You've got to have a lot in common with the people you're working with at this time in your life. Everything has to move on and forward, in all relationships.

"I know that bands that haven't put out a record for 10 years are playing to 20,000 people a night. But that's not the achievement. The achievement is to knock yourself out. It's a very selfish thing. The tail must never wag the dog."

A few months back, radio personality and "That Metal Show" co-host Eddie Trunk tweeted, "Heard from a very reliable source backstage at AEROSMITH show that there will be some sort of LED ZEPPELIN activity around Christmas."

2. Raf

Raf Senior Member

3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Hope so. I've resisted watching the bootlegs and YouTube clips waiting for an official release.

4. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Not trying to shoot you the messenger, but as far as the blabbermouth report goes,

[​IMG]

5. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

That being said, I hope it does get released this year, especially on Blu-Ray Disc! :)

6. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Here we go again..... :rolleyes:

I would love for it to get an official release, but I'll believe it when I have it in my hands.

The other rumor I heard was that it wasn't going to be released since the soundboard rehearsal leaked. Jimmy got pissed and decided not to release it.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It will be cool when and if it finally happens, but I would prefer some vintage archival Zeppelin in its place.

8. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

If this is true, I hope they've done a lot of post-production repair; what I've heard from "bootleg" sources was...not so good (hoarse-sounding Plant, Page through amp setup not designed for Les Pauls dropped to D.)

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'd rather have Japan 1971 3CD + Blu Ray 5.1/high res :shh:

10. I can't see them not releasing it on Blu-ray. I'm sure that concert was shot in HD.

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I wonder if it will be bundled with Neil Young's Archives Vol 2. on amazon.com for a discount?

12. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

13. PacificOceanBlue

Now you're talkin'!

14. 905

905 Senior Member

This happens every year. I doubt it's coming out, though I want it to.

15. Does anyone know how this concert was shot? Was it film (and if so what millimeter film) or HD (720 or 1080) to hard drive/videotape?

16. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I'd be almost 100% certain that it was shot digitally. Modern concert shoots, especially one on the scale of a Led Zeppelin reunion show, can have upwards of 20-30 different video angles...and that'd be an egregious amount of film stock to burn through.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I have heard several strong rumours as well as getting some info from some very very good sources, however like you I will believe it when I see it.

As for the Page rumour, it's wrong IMO. I think what scuppered the release last year was a change of mind by a band member. There was a thread about it here last year.

Page dropped to a D to accommodate Plant. It had nothing to do with an amp not designed for a Led Paul.

Yeah it was shot in HD not film. Film would be crazy these days for that show.

I hope it does come out this year and I guess the 5th anniversary is better than the 4th in terms of marketing. lol.

18. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

you need to set an amp us differently to play in drop D?

19. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

According to the source I heard, Santa will bring it to your door if you order it for Xmas.

20. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Sorry, but this is a severely lame release at this late date. Five years later? The show wasn't even that spectacular.

They need to dig into the proper-era Zep vaults and dig some of those pieces out for us, not this tripe filled with lower keys to accommodate Robert and less one original member.

Rhett likes this.
  21. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Oh, come on. It was still a fun show. I'd definitely watch it a few times.

I do agree with your other point, though. How about some decent album remasters? More classic shows? Something new?

22. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. 5 years later, I don't really care. It wasn't that great of a concert in hindsight. It was appropriate for the ocassion. I doubt I'd watch it more than once.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

About a minute of full HD and multi angle edit of Black Dog was given to a news station and aired that night. It's "out there" in perfect quality.

24. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

2008 called, they want their release back.

hasn't the moment passed for this? was there some sort of statute of limitations on it??

25. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

No.

It will be released and it will be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.