Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

As usual, Amazon is slow to update their listing information.

Yes, it is very possible and apparently true (besides the radio ad, if you count that) that there is nothing left over from the recording sessions and the TAAB tour. I can't remember the interview but Ian said something along the lines of "he was too cheap to record any of the shows back then."

2. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Well unless amazon.com's release date changes to the 6th and the price decreases significantly, Burning Shed is the way to go for me! :)

3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

DVD-A's that were released by Sony, so anything really is possible!

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Ian has said they only spent a few days recording the album (and that putting together the cover was more complicated!) so perhaps no time for outtakes.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Amazon.co.uk cancelled my preorder and won't let U.S. residents order the new THICK AS A BRICK remastered set due to territorial rights issues.

6. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. Took the plunge on the vinyl version. Haven't heard TAAB2 as yet so it will be an interesting evening when this package arrives. If TAAB takes just half the step Aqualung took, I'll be more than satisfied.

7. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

I am expecting that maybe it will be just the half step, as (in my opinion) the original Aqualung was in need of a lot more improvement than Thick As A Brick. Hymn 43 always sounded particularly bad to me. However, I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised with the new Thick As A Brick (already pre-ordered).

8. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

This has been my thought, too. "Aqualung" was always murky and dull - it needed help, and the remix is a huge improvement to me. "TaaB" on the other hand is already a beautiful recording - warm and detailed. I have no complaint about it - it doesn't obviously need improving or fixing. Still, the music is so good that I'm sure it can easily withstand any tinkering. I'm curious, but it's not something I've been waiting years for.

9. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

That's kinda why I mentioned I'd be happy with only a "half" step. I don't recall ever complaining about TAAB however Aqualung was another story. In addition, looks like a few people are enjoying TAAB2 so I'm psyched.

10. I agree. I have the MFSL gold CD of Thick As A Brick, and it sounds glorius. But I'm looking forward to the 5.1 disc, in whatever form it takes, that should be a treat.

11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

This is my take on this as well. :agree:

12. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Agreed. Benefit is probably my favorite album by Tull, and really deserves the royal treatment, especially given how it seems to have been disregarded for so many years.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I know this has been discussed many times here, but I THINK there's a problem with the masters for Benefit - missing? damaged? Not sure, but I swear I read something here on the forum concerning this....

14. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

As with most discussion of missing masters here, it's pretty much all speculation.

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The tapes aren't missing, but Ian may not have them. He owns all the tapes from Aqualung onward (plus This Was), and they're said to have been moved out of his barn into a vault, but the session tapes for Stand Up and Benefit may be in the hands of Chris Ellis, Ian's former manager, and they're not known to be talking with each other.

16. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Source?

17. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

That's really odd. I import from Amazon UK all the time and never had an issue; just tried to process an order and sure enough "no go". Must be unique to this release as it's still letting me process other titles??

18. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Terry Ellis? He was the student interviewing Dylan in Don't Look Back, wasn't he?

19. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

That's right. He comes off as a bit of a pratt....

20. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Mostly from Ian's own postings on his web site.

21. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

Here are some tidbits from new interviews with Steven Wilson and Ian Anderson on the topic of other JT albums being remixed for surround sound.

S+V: I talked to Ian recently, and he was quite pleased with your work. We bandied about the idea of you doing other Tull albums in surround. Have you guys discussed further mixes at this point?

Wilson: Well, he knows I would love to do A Passion Play. It’s one of those albums that’s been unfairly neglected, from my perspective. In a way, it’s like when I did Lizard for King Crimson; the commonality here is that Robert [Fripp] had neglected Lizard, and I think Ian has neglected A Passion Play. They both neglected those items in their back catalog. And I think Lizard has been redeemed in Robert’s eyes, and I would love to do the same with A Passion Play. I’d love to convince Ian, because he doesn’t believe that it’s a great piece of work. [chuckles]

It’ll be harder going than Thick as a Brick, but the ones that turn out to be harder going are the ones that turn out to be my favorites.

I would also love to do Benefit, another Tull album that could do with a remix. But it’s really not up to me and Ian at the end of the day; it’s up to EMI.

Editor’s note: This is when I submit 1975’s Minstrel in the Gallery as the next Jethro Tull album I’d like to see Steven Wilson mix in 5.1, with such made-for-expansion songs like the title track, “Cold Wind in Valhalla,” and “Baker St. Muse.”]

IA: Wow.... Even scarier than that, the last time I saw Steven Wilson, I was spending my time trying to talk him out of his desire to remix A Passion Play in 5.1. But I think Minstrel would probably amuse him. Well, Songs from the Wood would be the one I would probably throw at him and say, “Oh, why don’t you have a go at this one?”

The bad news is that if the relatively young Steven Wilson has to wait for the 40th anniversary of Songs from the Wood, there’s a relative bit of a downside in that it’s another 5 years from now. Steven Wilson’s ears will probably not be reliable enough to do the job then, because his new drummer [Marco Minnemann] is one of the loudest drummers I’ve heard. I told Steven, “You’ve got to get this guy to turn down onstage.” [chuckles]

22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think Songs From The Wood is vastly superior to Passion Play...while the later has its moments, Songs has a wealth of wonderful tracks that are very busy and would make for wonderful surround.

23. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Passion Play! So oddly delightful!

24. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Thank you, I'm going to faint...not fade away...
    OMG
    Editor’s note: This is when I submit 1975’s Minstrel in the Gallery as the next Jethro Tull album I’d like to see Steven Wilson mix in 5.1, with such made-for-expansion songs like the title track, “Cold Wind in Valhalla,” and “Baker St. Muse.”

Cheers to Pockets17red

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.