Beatles Remasters on Vinyl, part 3, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Johnson, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

EMI has instructed all sites not to advertise or take pre-orders for the set until after their "official" announcement of the release, which is expected to take place in early October...

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Could be, they aren't on the Acoustic Sounds site anymore either.

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Should have ordered yesterday, in stead of waiting today. I emailed ED yesterday and asked what the extras would be if I ordered the boxset, since the individual albums totaled $50+ less. They answered they weren't sure and haven't received all the details, but mentioned the custom container and thought that a book might be included.

4. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I wish EMI or whomever is in charge would just get out of the way and throw you and Kevin the vault keys so the world can properly hear Beatles' music.

5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Maybe it is a really, really, really limited edition(like, say, 14 for the world) and they pulled the listings because it sold out. Wouldn't that be something?

6. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

^that would melt down the board! :laugh:

Universal just paid $2 billion for EMI, I think there will be a couple more pressed...

7. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

What does it sound like? Is it more natural, "sounds like you're in the studio" sounding (like with the recent AF/MFSL Dylan releases)? I've always assumed that all the studio trickery and effect stacking made Beatles recordings sound more like studio products rather then "band playing into microphones". Is that due to mastering?

8. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Yeah, no kidding.

9. jruser

jruser Forum Resident

I had pre-ordered the new MMT blu-ray + vinyl set. This announcement has caused me to cancel that pre-order. I'll probably get this vinyl set. If not, the stand alone MMT vinyl + the blu-ray would be cheaper than the set. I know the vinyl is different EP vs LP, but I'd rather have the LP anyways for the extra songs.

10. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

I wonder how much a Mono vinyl set would go for. I know the Mono box set was more expensive than the stereo on CD.

11. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Steve, when you say "never happen, ever" is it because of the licensing and agreements would have to start all over like for the 2009 remasters CD box sets, between the remaining Beatles and heirs? A big time consuming mess and hassle? So what's the longevity of the original analog mixes the way there are stored now at EMI/Apple? With all this entangling of their music hung in greed and lawyers, i'm afraid these historical, original tapes will be lost forever! What a shame! I'm have been looking for a while for a "blue box", that sounds the best choice!

12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Steve, can you tell us board noobs the story of how you came into possession of copies of Beatles master tapes? I'm curious. I've always dreamed of spending a couple of days in the Beatles Vault.

13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Well...off course one of the most important comments so far, I think.
    It's remarkeble Apple/EMI's goal is to approach the original 'vinyl' sound as close as possible. Which may be something else than get the best sound possible from the excisting masters!
    And are they comparing the new vinyl to the avarage pressing of, lets say, Rubber Soul or is there a comparison with the first tube-cut pressing (if that's in any way possible?)?
    My dutch BC (and nice collection of some first/second pressings) still seems the way to go....mayby I'll buy the White Album for fun's sake....

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As I previously stated, that is incorrect. The mastering (cutting) is done at Abbey Road. Metal parts are created and then sent to pressing plants for duplication. The cutting of the original lacquers (from analog tape or digital files) would not be done at individual pressing plants.

From that perspective, cutting from analog or digital is a non-issue.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Why?

16. efil2159

efil2159 Forum Resident

So the 24/192 is un-mastered file.
    Then how would the mastering for the LPs be done?
    Would they use analogue compressors this time around?

I assume if digital limiting were supposed to be employed, it'd be easier just to use the already existing 24/44.1 mastered file. Just wondering...

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They will either use the existing 24/44.1 mastering and put it on the LP (with some adjustments) or do a new one from the 24/192 files.

I'm hoping for the 2nd option.

18. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Yep, and we won't know until there is an official press release - and then maybe after that there might be an interview with the remastering team where they give us their insights into what they did (and why they did it).

I would expect that this is in some sense a new mastering - I don't think it is impossible that Paul/Ringo/Olivia/Yoko could sign off on a new mastering for the vinyl. I mean, they managed to sign off on the new Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour releases this year...

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Any guesses on what the album cover will look like for the Let It Be LP? That is, it probably won't be the original UK version that came in a box with the booklet. So will it match the USA gatefold version? OR will it match the later, regular UK release (no gatefold)? Any thoughts? Arnie

20. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

I will be buying the box set on release day.
    Don't care if the price goes down after I purchase my copy
    My prediction is you will not easily find this release in many shops etc..
    Thanks

21. I think I'll stick with my mono cd box. I can't see the advantage of spending $$$ on something that's not revelatory. I bet that rack of vinyl will look pretty though ....

22. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Yes, Capitol did this, but it was the mid-90s.* "Abbey Road" from this series is still plentiful as a new disc. I have three of these and I wish I had bought them all. They sound great to my (somewhat compromised by congenital tinnitis coupled with years of playing bass in rock and roll bands) ears.

I'll buy a few of my favorites in this new series.

*I believe there was a mid/late 80s release as well, sourced from analog, but they are quite rare and it was a very small release.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is The Beatles we are talking about, one of the biggest bands of all time. How can fiscal issues get in the way. There is plenty of money to be made here. The vinyl would easily sell at $35. if it were done AAA, the way Steve described. The extra $13 per record would make up any extra costs in doing this the right way. Really, no excuse and no defence can be made here.

This is simply, arrogance, laziness and apathy. EMI figures this is good enough. Most people will never no the difference. Why should we care, we will still make our money.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the 45 releases that have come out so far. They sound like the cds which leaves a lot to be desired.

Most of what you say is a sad commentary to how EMI is willing to produce half-a$$ed product of a band that deserves much better. None of your excuses are acceptable.

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

agreed!

I also think (it was suggested in a previous post?) that the biggest obstacle is that Paul, Ringo, Yoko, Olivia (& Dhani) should sit and listen to all the test pressings and approve an all AAA reissue project. The Beatles' catalogue is small really, it would take just some hours of their time (legal questions aside) but at this point I don't think they're feeling like doing it...hopefully in the future Dhani, Sean and the heirs of Paul and Ringo will do that...:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.