Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

SW wants to do BENEFIT!!!

:goodie::cool::agree:

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I would rather have Stand Up instead of Passion, Benefit or Minstrel, but that is just me.

3. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

5. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Hopefully the Thick as a Brick remix will sell well and EMI will approve all of the other Tull remixes mentioned above.
    I would swiftly buy Benefit, Passion Play, Minstrel, and Songs From the Wood.:candy:

6. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Stand Up is probably the least likely to get a remix at this point given the deluxe edition released just a couple years ago....

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Not a Steve Wilson remix, I don't think, though I understand your point.

9. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

I have the Aqualung boxset and I've only heard the DVD surround disc from the set. No vinyl, Bluray, or CD listens yet. From that alone it is worth the $150 I think. Even though this was a birthday gift.:angel:

I would gladly pay for any pre-"A" Tull set done by Steve Wilson. The man is a surround genius! As many times as I have listened to Aqualung 5.1 already- definitely worth it.

I would love Passion Play, Songs From The Wood, Minstrel, Stand-Up, Too Old To Rock and Roll...but Benefit would be the shiznitch!

10. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

I can only guess that the DVDs will be "all region" as were his previous dvd issues eg. King Crimson, ELP, Aqualung. With amazon.uk being the cheapest, anyone ordering from there should keep an eye open for their product description for this item which should appear as its release date approaches. If it is PAL those of us in North America will have to cancel & reorder from amazon.ca (next cheapest) or .com (US).

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

One of the best things in the YouTube videos that have been released from Wilson's new album sessions has been seeing Marco in action. I'm by no means a drum-er-head, but he's great to watch and just so precise.

I actually don't mind if the Jethro Tull remasters are spread over a long time: it's good for listeners because they can digest and reflect upon the work; also it stops Wilson getting burnt out. Given the massive influence tha remastering Crimson has had on his work, I think he has to be careful not to steep himself too much in any individual back catalogue for too long.

12. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I have a fairly early UK vinyl of Benefit and I'm a long way off from hearing every issue, but one would think an early UK pressing would be an ideal start. Out of the options listed, I can't help feeling Benefit would gain the most from an SW redo. Maybe on par with Aqualung.

My TAAB hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already slobbering about Benefit being a big wish music list item for me in 2013/14. :D

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well all you Benefit heads, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high just because of Wilson's comments here. Ultimately, it's up to Ian and the label and they make a lot of their decisions based on the financial potential. I know that Benefit is a big fan favorite for many, but I imagine the sales on such a set would be rather modest compared to Aqualung and TaaB. Ah well, hope springs eternal.

I'm not really a big Passion Play fan--to be honest, I haven't heard it in years--but SW's rationale makes sense to me. Maybe that one is ripe for re-evaluation. I know that he helped make a believer out of me with his 5.1 mix of Lizard.

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Passion Play is a fairly dense album--as is Lizard. It's a perfect choice for the surround treatment.

Songs From The Wood would also work well in surround.

15. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Not that I'm Mr. Big Money Bags, but I'll purchase 2 in order to help their cause. :cool: :D

16. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

Prices on Amazon have dropped for both the CD/DVD and Double Vinyl packages.

TAAB CD/DVD/104 page book - $34.49

TAAB/TAAB 2 2LP/74 page book - $83.67

Still a little more expensive than BurningShed and very close to the prices of Amazon.de, and Amazon.co.uk after currency conversion but you can't import these titles from those websites if you live in the US so I suppose it doesn't really matter. :laugh:

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I was able to place an order with amazon.co.uk and I'm in the US. Total for both the CD/DVD and LP sets, after current currency conversion comes to (with shipping) $102.00.

How would I know they won't ship my order? It has been placed for days now and they haven't cancelled it.

18. Pockets17red

Sorry :cry: I misremembered, I meant Amazon.de. They cancelled my pre-order and won't let the item be shipped to the US. sorry :cry:

19. Pockets17red

Even though I will have to pay a bit more to get it from BurningShed, at least I know that more money will go to Ian Anderson, and I will get it early enough to digest this album in 5.1 before the concert in Akron on November 4th.!

20. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

No longer the case. You are now able to order from either website to the US.

21. Pockets17red

I wonder why they stopped them in the first place then changed their mind after? Oh well. :confused:

22. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I thought Benefit already got a deluxe treatment as well tho. I would also prefer a 5.1 of Stand Up to any of the others, but if someone else has the master tapes I guess that is a no go.

I'd be interested to give Passion Play another chance if I heard it in 5.1 because I never "got it", unlike Lizard which I loved the first time I heard it twenty odd years ago.

23. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Nope, they skipped over Benefit, though they included the Carnegie Hall concert with the Stand Up deluxe when it more rightly should have been on a theoretical Benefit deluxe given it's date.

I'd love to get A Passion Play deluxe, but I hope they use it to include the complete Chateau D'Isaster tapes as a bonus (though I have a feeling they won't, as it would require another full disc of tracks).

24. ausamerika

ausamerika Forum Resident

I'm a huge TaaB fan. I have to admit, though, at ~$90 for both, I think they might have priced this out of my comfort range, especially since I already have a TaaB promo, original A&M, and MFSL on vinyl already.

I'm interested in the new mix, but that's a lot of scrap for two LPs.

25. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

too bad about Benefit. its my fave.

i also LOVE the D'Isaster tapes. have those only been released officialy on the 20th Anniversary box set? god i love that set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.