Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #40)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No, I haven't heard from him either . He's a fun and interesting guy, but I think he's also a bit unpredictable. :D

I'd say we will either hear from him out of the blue at some point or never again. Wouldn't be too surprised either way. I'm sure he's fine, though. His life sounded pretty great in his PM.

But I still wouldn't have minded to get one of these CDs. :shh:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Isn't he from Italy?

3. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I haven't seen Long Play Fan on here either for quite a while (last login date was 09/11/2012, having not posted since late July) - I think we might have scared him off!

4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Sì.

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I guess I'm old school.
    Hard for me to get excited about digital downloads and digi-pac's.
    Digi-Pac's get bad there is no replacing em.
    Jewel cases and the art work and be swapped out if they get messed up.

It's real hard for me to get excited about keeping Music solely on my computer.
    It's nice to have a actual copy and the art work in hand. Can have it autographed if the chance arises.
    Then there is the notes that make good reading.
    Also if proper care is taken a CD will outlast almost any other recording media out there.
    I still have CD's from day one when I started collecting.....about 1987.

6. coopmv

I definitely have a good number of CD's, mainly by Trevor Pinnock and his English Concert (do you like the group?) going back to the mid 80's ...

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have started using CATraxx for archiving my LPs and it's a very slow process but it can also be fun since in a way I am rediscovering my colection.

8. coopmv

He may be too busy with those street protests these days ... :shake:

9. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Jim, This is your type of music ... :D:righton:

10. coopmv

Jim, You are not the only one. I rarely listen to MP3, never owned an iPod and will never buy one either. I am an iNothing guy ...:winkgrin:

11. Graphyfotoz

WELL I won't go that far! :eek:
    I :love: technology so Dolby.....3D sound and DSP I'm all for it!
    iNet Radio thru my network receiver I love to do now and then.
    Thousands of choices from around the world at any time of day FREE!
    I have some stuff on my iPhone.....it's only 8GB tho.
    I have MP3's on my HD....I got here and there. :shh:
    FLAC's have somehow found a place onto a few CDr's here as well.
    Having something purely on my HD I don't think will ever happen.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm with you about .mp3s; very nearly all my files are in lossless .ape format, with a smattering of FLACs. The only .mp3s are one group that I got as a freebie from Naxos, and those sound rather "washed out," leading me to have no interest in exploring such further. As to downloads proper, not excited about them, but if they're at CD quality (i.e., .wav or lossless compressed), I can live with them; I think we'll have no choice but to do so in the future. Program notes can be wonderful, but all too often they're some sketchy rehash of a stock composer bio and "first we hear a gentle trilling in the kazoo" analysis presented in a bunch of different languages. I well remember my disappointment when LPs went to that approach, just one sad example of the decay in LP presentation that left the market open for CDs to sweep the field. (Not a CD basher, mind, just saying that all was not well in LP Land when the CD arrived on these shores.)

Longevity: I have cylinders that are still playable more than 100 years after they were made; the oldest dates, as best I can tell, to sometime in the mid-1890s. I have CDs that have bronzed and become useless just sitting on a shelf for a couple of decades. So, given proper storage, at this point I'd say Edison's product is the champ! ;)

13. coopmv

I have already ripped a few hundred CD's to my desktop in the WMA format at 192 b/s. They sound decent but I obviously do not listen to music at my desktop only. You are much further along since you listen to internet radio while I do not.

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, by the way, here's one more consideration, one that got me on the "server" bandwagon in a big way: over the past few years, I watched my dad as he wrestled with the mobility issues of age, which eventually left him on a walker. should I be fortunate to live so long, leaving aside questions of whether I could continue to live in a place big enough to house tens of thousands of "sound carrier units," I can see that bending down to a low shelf, or reaching to a high one; pulling out a heavy album of 78s; and carrying it to turntable in another room, getting out the records, putting them on and off; and then carrying them back to put them away--well, that's just out of the question under such circumstances. CDs might be less of an issue to carry, but there's still all that to-ing and fro-ing. I want my music in a form that will let me access it for all my life, even if I end up in some little assisted living apartment somewhere.

Not to hang crepe, folks, but we all need to keep in mind that we're none of us getting any younger. :sigh:

15. Graphyfotoz

Oh yes but not enough!
    I'm very slowly getting His stuff.

Here are 4 that I have in my collection so far and like a LOT!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. coopmv

:righton:

There are very few Trevor Pinnock/English Concert recordings I do not already own (have some on LP as well). The golden years of the English Concert were when Pinnock was directing the ensemble and I was fortunate to attend one of their concerts at the NY Metropolitan Museum Concert Hall in the mid 80's. BTW, Lenny Bernstein had some nice words for Pinnock as a conductor and Pinnock almost always conducted from the harpsichord ...

17. Graphyfotoz

IF it goes on my HD it's gotta be High Quality MP3 (192KB or higher) or FLAC Lossless.
    FLAC Lossless is the way to go really EXACT copy of the original recording.

Oh you don't know what your missing!
    I listen to England or Italy mostly on Net Radio.
    Right from the native country is pretty kewl......really!

Hey I'm 47 and just got into this real high tech past coupla years.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks! :D

18. coopmv

While it is nice to listen to Net Radio, I still like the notion that I can play whatever CD at (almost) whatever time (I do have to get up early to go to work in NYC daily) I want. I think WMA file ripped at 192 kb/s is pretty good and a lot better than MP3, which always sound kind of hollow to me ...

19. coopmv

Jim, BTW, if you ever want to get into Complete Mozart Symphonies, the following two sets are the best out there. I bought both sets almost 2 years ago ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Symphony 3 for a first spin.

21. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. Graphyfotoz

Yeah I haven't got to Mozart just yet.
    Complete symphonies are on several CD's and lil costly.
    But then I haven't looked for Mozart Complete in a coupla years.

I do have the following complete Symphonies I have found over the years.
    If the price is right.....I'll grab em.....I'm patient! ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. coopmv

George, The Mendelssohn Symphonies are already in the following mega box, which you have, as do I. So this is a new set? :confused:

[​IMG]

24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

No, I am listening to them via that mega box, it's just easier to post the other image to show what works I am listening to.

BTW, these symphony recordings of Mendelsohhn (a CMC certified neglected composer) are wonderful! The best (new to me) HvK recordings I have heard in a long time. I look forward to hearing the Schumann and Tchaikovsky from this set, which have receive a nice review from a reliable source. OTOH, the Bruckner from this set didn't grab me, the Mozart and Haydn seemed like a bad matchup and the Beethoven and Brahms bettered in his '60 DG recordings.

25. coopmv

I bought the Gade Symphonies in a BIS box set. As much as I still prefer the physical media, i.e. CD, it is a bummer that too many CD's arrive with busted jewel cases, courtesy of the USPS. I have to place an order of Clear Jewel Case Without Tray from the following outfit this month ...

http://www.sleevetown.com/jewel-case-parts.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.