Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #40)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think I have only completed listening to the Beethoven and Brahms Symphonies in that box, which is now available at $518.25 on Amazon US. We both bought the set at a super bargain price from Amazon UK ... :D

My sole objective for getting that box was to get the Complete Bruckner and those Haydn Symphonies I did not have as singles. Those Haydn singles had gotten too pricey for me. But this box has turned out to be a great investment for both of us.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Indeed!

3. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

The ones that get me PO'd is the double and quad jewel cases when they get broke or I get em used and they are badly scratched.
    Those are a much harder find.

4. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Symphony 4 from this great set for a first spin.

5. coopmv

Not really, I have those. Check out the link I included with my previous post and bookmark that outfit. It sells all kinds of jewel cases ...

6. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I'm being off topic here, but I just want to quickly point out that bronzed CDs are a result of a flaw in the manufacturing process which was limited to only two pressing plants, and only over a relatively small period of time. This degradation is in no way inherent to the format. :)

Carry on, everybody...

7. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. George P

I see that Hantai guy's name pop up all over, usually with Bach alongside it.

9. coopmv

Removed due to double-posting ...

10. coopmv

Pierre Hantai is supposed to be a top harpsichordist of his generation, not sure if he was ever a student of Gustav Leonhardt. It appears every accomplished harpsichordist over the age of 50 was a student of Leonhardt ... LOL

11. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer, another recent arrival for a first listen. CD1 was quite a virtuosic performance ...

[​IMG]

12. George P

That explains why I haven't heard him. :laugh:

13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Tchaikovsky's Symphonies 1-3 from the above set.

14. coopmv

The only keyboard music that I do not like is accordion music. I enjoy organ, harpsichord and piano (fortepiano) and therefore pay attention to who are the important performers for each of these keyboard instrument. :laugh:

15. coopmv

BTW, I thought I recently read about EMI classical division is going to UniversalMusic (EU has signed off). This means one company will soon control all of Karajan recordings. They used to be split between DG and EMI (plus a few Decca titles) ...

16. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I must be a lucky fella. I have a friend who I used to work with, before we both retired. He owns a shop with every conceivable case need for CD DVD and Bluray.... every form of identical spare case imaginable, you want. All the single , double, and 4 CD jewel cases,we are familar with available - either in singular , packs of 10, 50, or 100. The bigger packs get cheaper and cheaper. A 50 box 2- CD cases , you are looking at a cost of about 25 to 30 cents a unit. They are of the highest quality and strength. Some CD cases you see for sale elsewhere - are made of poor flimsy plastic, which fractures easily.
    Hint : If you are near to a computer 'swap meet' where traditional shop traders also go to get business -and have a stand - you will likely find someone that sells similar spare CD cases/
    As a result , If I bust the hinges on one of my cases, replacement is sim,ple and care free. every CD I own is in a perfect pristine un-scatched case.

P,S If people want to replace a case, the printed information on the back of the case-under the CD tray - is the hardest thing to remove without busting part of the case. To get the tray to release easily, slide a box cutter blade just between the attachment points of the tray and the back casing. The tray itself, should then pop out.

17. George P

Correct. :righton:

18. George P

Yes, look soon for the complete HvK on Universal. Every order comes with an 18 wheeler to transport it in. :laugh:

19. George P

I am still trying, but the piano is the instrument I keep returning to. Second fave is the cello.

20. George P

Luckily, a place near me sells all the hard to find cases I need. I generally buy more of the slim 2CD cases and the ultra slim single jewel cases, though. Staples is my place for those two kinds.

21. George P

[​IMG]

Krips (recently re-released in a Decca budget box) is not complete (only has the second half, but to me, that is plenty of Mozart symphonies) but is absolutely superb in performance and sound!

22. George P

:wave:

Ok, guys, we are out of space, let's move this party over here.

23. coopmv

Now playing CD8 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Love your comment. And think how many Von Karajan versions of a Tchaikovsky and Beethoven symphony on the (new) one label people will be talking about. Will it get to "Are we talking about....the one he did in 1976 or perhaps, the one maybe done later in 1977?":D

25. George P

Ok, guys, we are out of space, let's move this party over here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.