Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 40 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, Do you have the set by Krips?

[​IMG]

For non-HIP performance, I actually have this set by Mackerras, which was the first set of Complete Mozart Symphonies that came into my classical collection ...

[​IMG]

3. George P

[​IMG]

Now listening to the Tchaikovsky 3rd symphony from this set and not enjoying Karajan's interpretations here on in the two symphonies that precede it. He's nice when the music is mellower, but the louder stuff has been grating on me.

How do you guys like Rostropovich in Tchaikovsky's first through third Symphonies? Or maybe these works just aren't that great?

4. George P

Yes I do. It is awesome!! Only Bruno Walter is in the same class, IMO. I've heard Ward, Karajan, Boehm, Szell, Walter, Klemperer, Fricsay Mackerras and Krips in the Mozart symphonies and the Krips is the best I have heard! It clicked right away for me. It's pretty cheap right now, too.

5. coopmv

HvK recorded Tchaikovsky Symphonies 5 & 6 probably 3 times with DG and at least once with EMI IIRC. He never recorded all the Sibelius Symphonies with DG, but if the EMI catalog is merged with DG, there may be a complete Sibelius Symphonies by him ...

6. George P

I understand that Karajan recorded the Pathetique symphony no less that seven times! I have heard that the 1976 one is the best. I have it.

7. coopmv

I thought I read some GMG members joking about Krips recordings and made some unsavory comments?

8. George P

That reviewer guy Jens loved it and I had a chance to sample some of the set and LOVED IT! It's one of my best purchases of the year.

9. coopmv

Are you referring to this CD? I have it, with its ultra dark mood, I think it is the best of all his Tchaikovsky 6th ...

[​IMG]

10. George P

No, I am referring to the one in the DG twofer, which is also in the Mega-Box that we have. Haven't heard that EMI one. I hear that the 1958 EMI with the Philharmonia is great, though.

11. coopmv

I have not gotten that far yet with that mega-box. Was it recorded in the 60's or in the 70's? Karajan recorded the 6th again in the 80's, but with the VPO. I am actually quite fond of the 6th on EMI, recorded in the mid 70's ...

12. George P

13. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Thanx for the info on the Jewel cases Stewart! :righton:
    I'm sure I'll be ordering some. Can't find em locally much anymore.
    Sometimes I buy Used CD's and the Case is toast but everything else is like new.
    Lil swap and I have a new CD for my collection! :D

For anyone else interested I carried over the link from the old thread

http://www.sleevetown.com/jewel-case-parts.shtml

14. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Ahhh time to relax with a glass of Lakewood Vineyards Abbey Rose Wine.
    Also one of my favorite Piano CD's that's definitely in my top 5...very top!

[​IMG]

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Spit and Polish

Maybe these works are not that great. MTT/Boston in the Symphony #1 ['Winter Dreams'] is pretty 'On' and the engineering's great. But there's only so much bombastic repetition one can take before asking 'is this thing ever going to develop?' Tchaikovsky was much better at spinning out tunes than developing them. And the Symphony is all about the development and working out of the materials. That's why 'The Nutcracker' will always be more popular than the 'Polish Symphony'.

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Josef Krips' has the right affect and weight in Mozart's symphonies and was lucky enough to have the Concertgebouw's orchestra to play with, along with the great acoustics of the Concertgebouw itself. The Bruno Walter recordings are my 'imprint' for the late Mozart Symphonies, but strictly speaking are still on the ponderous side. The Krips Mozart Symphonies are lighter in weight, slightly quicker in tempo. Still, it's the Walter that stayed on the shelf. I used to have the late Mozart Symphonies on a 'Record Club' edition, Philips LPs pressed in Italy. They were, like many of these budget 'mail order' versions, pressed on noisier vinyl than the originals.

17. Thomas Roth

Thomas Roth New Member

There is no Sibelius 3 from Karajan, so a complete cycle is impossible.

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

George, I think that Tchaikovsky's early symphonies are good-to-uneven but indeed hardly great (or they have only occasional sparks of greatness). Still, they really depend on the interpreters. I probably have about 3 or 4 recordings of them, can't currently speak about the old Melodiya vinyl under Rozhdestvensky (the last time I played those was probably about 20 years ago or so), but I really love the first two symphonies under Temirkanov (from a complete set shown below - it also has very fine renditions of the 4th and 5th and an extremely slow version of the 6th which is pretty unique in its own way).

The Third (Polish) is a tough one for me: it reminds me a somewhat unfinished or under-realized puzzle and its pretentious "non-Russian" feel makes matters even worse. Quite strangely, the only recording I dig is the one with Bernstein conducting NY Philharmonic - and I strongly dislike Lenny's Thaikovsky in general, but in this particular case their "schmaltzes" co-operated in a quite lovely manner.

Attached Files:

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Chiming in (late) of ripping to hard drives, I keep two copies at home, and another offsite (which may not be updated as often as it should be, but still contains 95%+ of my music library.

I have not disposed of my CDs, as my brother did this year (3,000). So I can check liner notes etc. Also my main CD player is simply better than any other digital playback system in my apartment.

The convenience of accessing your entire music library from a remote control should not be underestimated.

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Classical music, huh? Not a bad idea for a thread.

:D

21. George P

22. George P

[​IMG]

Now listening to the lovely Schumann symphonies from the above set.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Is this what that is? Cool!

24. George P

Yeah, you know, that stuff Schroeder plays?

[​IMG]

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Schroeder's got a point there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.