A first: Counterfeit West German orange-faced CD

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by KeithH, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Attached Files:

2. KeithH

The seller responded as follows:

The listing is now blank. Perhaps he is going to use it for another disc.

3. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

The Polydor logo looks "off", too.

That wasn't even a good fake.

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Man that's awful. Why would you counterfeit that?

I like the 1994 date on a West German CD too :laugh:

5. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Ha ha. Didn't even notice that. Why do a forgery without taking the whole thing a bit more seriously? What a hack!

6. KeithH

It is bad.

I don't see too many counterfeit early pressings on eBay these days, but I have been amazed by the titles that have been chosen. A counterfeit of Herb Alpert Magic Man surfaced a few years ago. The real disc is rare and is sought after by collectors, but we aren't talking Wish You Were Here.

7. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

That is a wretched looking fake. With some of the prices these early pressing CDs are fetching, I wonder if we will see more of these kind of counterfeits?

8. bw

bw Forum Resident

I have a Dire Straits Love Over Gold that is stamped Made in W. Germany along with 1994 Phonogram Ltd on the disc. Inserts are flimsy, appear to be made off a bad color copier.

9. LordThanos1969

Is it a blue spiral CD?

10. bw

bw Forum Resident

Orange.

11. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

It's an obvious fake, too obvious. I don't believe it was designed to "squeeze money" to collectors: the date 1994 is eloquent. I think that it is a cheap copy to be sold in the Eastern Europe market. There are many of these fakes (or pirated copies), regardless of title. And they are made ​​so bad that they can't deceive a collector.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

a bit off topic, but two or three years ago I bought (from Amazon, not the marketplace) a Decca CD (Orff- "Carmina Burana" dir. Chailly) with "Made in West Germany" on inserts, and the CD label states "Made in West Germany by PolyGram". Only the matrix (Universal logo) shows you that it's not a WG pressing the way we mean it...so those mistakes can happen (disclaimer: not affiliated to the seller) and there are probably several examples of CDs that never had their info updated

13. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

14. KeithH

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I also suspect this wasn't made to necessarily dupe collectors. This disc is fairly common, isn't it?

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The non-fake version is relatively rare, although can be picked up occasionally in the used bins.

Heres the real one

View attachment 235343

17. KeithH

The link does not work.

I was lucky enough to find the orange-faced disc in the bins on a trip to Nashville back in 2003. In fact, the store (The Great Escape) also had the later West German pressing with no paint coating. Not wanting two copies but also not knowing the chronology of the two discs at the time, I bought the orange-faced disc because it looked cool. I chose wisely. :D

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Sorry! here it is. I picked this up a few years ago in GameStop before they stopped selling used CDs. They stopped earlier this year.

vangelis.jpg

19. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I have a hard time believing you didn't want both copies. ;)

20. LordThanos1969

I have not found this CD or any red-faced Polydor to be "fairly common." They do appear online for sale, but I have never found one in the local used bins.

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I suppose they would be slightly more common in the countries that they were actually originally distributed in, i.e, most of Europe.
    Having said that, they are not "fairly common". You are much more likely to get the silverstock version of this title in the used bins here in Ireland. But red faces of some Polydor titles appear from time to time in the used bins although not a common occurance these days.

22. That was a bad knock-off.

What's next? The counterfeiting of the rare Warner target and Vertigo swirl CDs? :eek:

Thanks for showing us that Keith. I had no idea outside of the Beatles - Abbey Road EMI Japan black triangle CD that there any other knock-offs selling on eBay.

I have said Beatles CD, and it's an original. :)

23. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

The counterfeit of a rare Warner target already exists,
    Prince 1999 is one of them.

24. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Plus they did fake APP I Robot MFSL discs. That one I can understand (Like the Abbey Road BT). Why did they not do the 35DP-4 disc? They would have had a field day for a short period of time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.