Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

In what way does he get a bad rap?

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I am also cautious when it comes to this idea. No doubt some artists did have the right to sign off on the final cut. But this really doesn't assure us it was what they wanted or would have wanted had they been given more options. Who knows how many times artists grudgingly signed off on test pressings under the pressure of a release date. Who knows what system they used to audition such test pressings? Who knows what taste they had when it came to sound quality. With the Mercuries the conductors did get to sign off on performances but the sound was the domain of the producers. The results speak for themselves. OTOH we had Stokowsky exercising control over the sound of his recordings. Can't say I like those results.

I can think of numerous examples of releases that certainly were signed off on by the artists only to find subsequent other versions that simply were better. I know that many Yes fans assume that that the original UK versions of their albums are the superior versions but IMO with at least half of those titles different versions reign supreme. But there is no doubt that the band members were signing off on the original UKs.

It would be interesting to learn more about who mastered the EMIs and who was signing off on the various versions. Some of those 70s EMIs offer amazing sound quality.

3. Scott Wheeler

In much the same way as my pal Yuja. Technical excellence with no soul. I disagree in both cases

4. Tangledupinblue

It would be interesting to hear how he approaches the Haydn sonatas. Although tricky in places, it's not exactly showy music with not many places to hide - you certainly need soul as well as subtlety and intelligent musicianship in that type of repertoire.

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks for the guidance. The only reason I can think of why I have not owned this music in my life is the fact that classical music is a small part of my collection/interest. Being primarily a jazz fan I have in recent years picked up some classical recordings by two of my favorite jazz pianists, John Lewis (MJQ) and Keith Jarrett which I like very much. I'm also very fond of Chopin's preludes and nocturnes as well as Debussy's preludes and similar things.

One of the things that has caused me to seek out the Gould album is Jessica Williams a jazz pianist I've known and followed for many decades now. She rediscovered Gould in recent years and it has had a profound affect on her solo piano playing and it's something I've really liked about her newer albums so that has really piqued my interest and my desire to get closer to the source as it were.

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm listening to those Andre' Hamelin recordings posted from you-tube and really liking it a lot. It sounds like something I will need to pick up in the near future.

7. Scott Wheeler

IMO Hamlin excels in subtlety and intelligence.

8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

You shouldn't have a problem then. Gould is kind of like the gnat buzzing your ear where Jarrett is a huge mosquito. I love Jarrett also so not a problem, at this point my wife and I mimic his "whoa..., oohh.. ahhh's" on the live recordings. I figure the more moaning the more he is into it the better the performance.

Anybody who studied music and Jazz your taught to sing your solo's so they have shape and since Gould takes some liberties with the music it makes sense at least to me. I can understand why it would turn many people off however.

There are also both interesting personalities to say the least.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I agree WorldB3. I didn't like Jarrett's "singing" much on his recorded work until I saw him perform and yes, he's really into the music when he gets to that point of a performance so it no longer bothers me when I listen at home.

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I think Hamelin (and Pollini) are very good at what they do, in fact they are superb at it.

My problem isn't really with them, it's with the (modern) style that they adopted, especially for the romantic repertoire. I simply don't enjoy it in that context. So I'd never say they are poor pianists, just pianists who play in a style that I don't enjoy.

11. Scott Wheeler

I do appreciate your fairness in addressing such things. It's good when folks don't confuse personal tastes with objective truths in art. :cheers:

12. Tangledupinblue

Thanks for taking the time to listen, glad you like it! :righton:

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

15. George P

How'd you like it? I really dig that one.

16. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Bad rap?
    Here is one example to the contrary!

*I HIGHLY recommend this for anyone's collection*

[​IMG]

Gramophone Awards 2008 - Finalist - Instrumental
    Gramophone Magazine Editor's Choice - Awards Issue 2007
    BBC Music Magazine Disc of the month - September 2007
    DIAPASON D'OR CLASSICAL SOLO ALBUM OF THE YEAR
    JUNO AWARDS

(GRAMOPHONE)
    “A performance of the Concerto of such brilliance and lucidity that one can only listen in awe and amazement.
    Scaling even the most ferocious hurdles with yards to spare,
    he is blessedly free to explore the very heart of Alkan’s bewildering interplay of austerity and monstrous elaboration …
    You can only marvel at such a unique mix of blazing if nonchalantly deployed virtuosity and poetic conviction …
    All of this is superly recorded and presented, prompting some not unreasonable conjecture: if Liszt feared Alkan’s mastery as a pianist he may well have feared Hamelin’s”

Lupe Lu likes this.
  17. Graphyfotoz

"La Morte del Cor Penitente" Translated in English?

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Google translator says "The death of the penitent heart" and that would have been my guess as well. Looks like "cor" is old Italian for heart ("cuore" would be modern Italian).

19. Graphyfotoz

Thanx Friend! :righton:
    I wasn't quite sure how the Google translator worked.

I have this rare one in my sights if I win the bid....samples sound pretty nice.
    Early Oratorio from a composer I don't have. Legrenzi 1626 - 1690

[​IMG]

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You're welcome. :wave:

Good luck with that.

21. Graphyfotoz

Ok whats the other online music you guys listen to?
    It's not Pandora......3 letters?

I'm having a brain fart this morning! :realmad:

22. George P

MOG

23. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

:righton: My favorite version of he teardrop prelude.

24. John S

John S Forum Resident

I've posted on this before. I agree, it's a great read.
    From back in thread #30:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7086789&postcount=462

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Shows only one price again :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.