Magical Mystery Tour + Let It Be DVD Releases - Thanksgiving 2K12

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by krlpuretone, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I can almost (but not quite) believe that for George Martin...but when John Lennon used to claim in interviews that he never listened to the Beatles or had no interest....that was a bunch of baloney!

2. Jose Jones

He wasn't 87 years old when the question was asked in the mid-80s.

Why wouldn't he have copies of them...they are what made him world famous and his ticket out of his tidy salary job at Parlophone. His son seems to have been a life-long fan. It seems almost absurd that he would not have any Beatles records in his house.

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I watched the film in one sitting no breaks today and discovered the intro to "Your Mother Should Know" has some lovely new phased vocals in the left channel.

Also got the see the supplemental material and indeed you see A LOT MORE of the dancer, Jan, than in the original film. I am surprised that this is apparently her only film but she must have had a busy enough career without it.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why the heck didn't they hire Ron for this?

In 1987 Ron did EVERYTHING with the laserdisc, VHS & Betamax releases with NO ONE else involved and got it all RIGHT.

Whoever remixed the audio in 2012 left OUT a lot of dialogue that Ron didn't!

And according to the credits on the new release, there is a whole giant crew of people involved with both picture & audio, and they still goofed it up a bit. They should have brought Ron Furmenek in first and foremost. So silly that they didn't.

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I guess it's as the old proverb goes: "Too many cooks spoil the broth.". :sigh:

Ron did a great job in 1988 - I'm glad I own the Laserdisc and VHS.

6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Is there a running list, so far, of audio differences in the MMT BluRay?

7. Clark Kauffman

Clark Kauffman Forum Resident

I agree. Furmanek did a spectacular job on the laserdisc. He should have at least been part of the team for this 2012 job -- if only as an advisor and consultant. I'm sure he would have immediately pointed out the dialogue issues.

8. Jose Jones

They didn't even need to hire him---all they had to do was study the 1988 reissue closely and do it like that. I wonder if Furmanek's work was junked along the way?

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

At least while Neil Aspinall was in the office Ron was the person given the role to work on a lot of archiving and locating of the Apple film library.

I wonder what Jeff Jones is been up to the last few years, not blaming him just that it's hard to really say who is calling the shots on the video remastering.

10. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

With EMI it's hard to figure out who is calling the shots with anything these days. It's all in shambles after the buy out. It will settle down, but not for some time.

11. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

They'd probably chose Giles because of his old man George,but still,Ron would have done it way better,I think.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heck, if EMI called me up and said, "Hey, Steve, can you remix 5 Beatles albums for us, please?" Of course I would say yes (never happen in a zillion years though) but even though I know the songs like the back of my hand and how to mix them just right, I'd still call Ron and get him involved. He's just an expert on this stuff. Not to have him around due to jealously or the "WE CAN DO IT BETTER" syndrome or whatever is pretty pointless.

Use the experts, that's what guarantees a successful restoration.

13. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Saves money.

I'd guess that if you propose that in a business meeting the answer would be "We hear you".

14. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Wondering HOW they left out dialogue??? Isn't the film pretty much set in stone on film?

15. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Exerpted from Ron Furmanek:
    So there, it's like making a mix from 12 tracks at some times. If one of the mag pieces was lost or the fader was accidentally left down, it's out... but Apple didn't transfer the MASTER mag as an alternative for us to hear, either.

16. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Thank you.

17. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Watched it just then. Besides John's opening "roll up..." What else is missing?

I'm surprised that was left out. It's so jarring it really stands out. I find it hard to believe they never saw any of the previous versions on the market.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Some of the deleted or poorly-mixed issues with the new DVD/Blu-Ray are mentioned in these posts:

Keep in mind that in addition to this part being spoken by John instead of Paul, the "Roll up, roll up, roll up" words were animated on screen, in sync, unlike Paul's intro.

19. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Are you kidding? I'm going to have to keep my BETA video for the original version? Epic failure. :realmad:

20. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

Hate to admit, but the blu-ray version I purchased is the first time I had seen Magical Mystery Tour all the way through. I remember getting the album for Christmas in 1967, but had never seen the movie in its entirety. My wife said that people who saw the film back in 1967 or 1968 were probably taking mind altering drugs before viewing.

21. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I hope they will call you for the "Let It Be" blu-ray.

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Saw some of the DVD played instore the other day, it looked dreadful. Smeary and dull.

23. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Ron's work on Beatle projects over the years is very underrated as far as the powers that be at Apple goes...I'm guessing they want to forget what he did.

Shame because as Steve said, Ron knew his stuff when it comes to this type of work. How could they have looked at an original print of MMT and then OK this new version, knowing things were missing.

Glad I still have my laser disc.

JF

24. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Has anyone brought these screw ups to the attention of Giles and the team?

25. Jose Jones

Give me his phone number and I will give him a call right now.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.