MAD MEN -- Season SIX Official Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Countdown until this thread becomes a bunch of dirty old men drooling over Jessica Pare in 3... 2... 1...

3. He's getting married to Snookie?

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Who's the couple getting married, I wonder?

So Don will still be with Megan, but I'm betting that he is back to his old cheating ways.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Looks more like he is a witness than the groom.

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I just don't buy Draper lounging on the beach reading Dante.

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Dante in the John Ciardi translation: classy!

8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I had that exact edition in college- I recognize the cover. I think I still have it.

9. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

I read the Ciardi translation too. I think it was a Penguin Classic.

10. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Quick question based in part on Season Five which I'm just watching now (7 episodes down and six to go).

I've noticed that nearly every season Bobby, Don's and Betty's son, is replaced by another actor. Granted its a minor role, but I wonder why this keeps happening. Sally, if I recall correctly, has always been played by the same young girl. On the one hand I love how they bring back old characters from time to time (i.e. Glen, Sally's friend who had a boyhood crush on Betty, Roger's ex-wife) which helps the flow of story line flow but the replacement of Bobby creates an inconsistent wrinkle in a show that otherwise provides maximum attention to detail.

11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Wheres Peggy? LOL.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Can't wait for the new Season...

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One reason is that the kid they had a couple of years ago did not get along with the actress. January Jones is said to be difficult and cold in real life (if you believe "America's Bible," The National Enquirer.)

It's purely a coincidence, but Glen Bishop is played by Marten Weiner, who is the son of series creator Matthew Weiner... :cool:

I think the kid is creepy and awkward, but I think it kind of adds to the character and makes him interesting.

14. Norm Apter

If she resembles her on-screen character in any measurable degree, then maybe The National Enquirer was on to something. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I look at just about all characters in Mad Men as being flawed in some way or another, but to the extreme I find very little endearing or redeeming about Betty's character.

As for Glen Bishop, let me just mention tangentially my appreciation for his real-life father's (Weiner's) attention to detail. In Season 5, episode 7 Glen calls Sally on what appears to be a hall phone at a summer Lacrosse camp (?) or something like it. One of his peers in the background is wearing a Hotchkiss sweatshirt. For those who haven't heard of it, Hotchkiss is one among a highly-competitive set of private New England prep schools. I grew in Lakeville, CT (pop. 2000) in the northwest corner of CT, where Hotchkiss is located (about a two-hour drive from NYC if I recall correctly). Its exactly the type of school that someone from Sally's social strata might attend (i.e. very pricey, about $47k p/yr. at present)....I know Glen's parents were divorced but maybe the father pays some serious alimony. Again, this attention to detail remains one of the great charms of the show.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm suffering. I love Mad Men and religiously watched every episode of the first four seasons but then BBC didn't get hold of 5 (it went to Sky I think).:cry:

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The gradual but irrevocable disparity between Don and his colleagues' sensibility and the changing culture is fascinating. Maybe they'll try to sign Paul Kanter or David Crosby to voice a Boones Farm wine spot or something....

17. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Got Season 5 on DVD for Christmas - gonna watch it all again and then sit tight for Season 6. Can't wait!

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Do we have an official date when it will air??

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Ooooh I can't wait! The worst thing about this show is going through withdraws between seasons.

dan c

20. Hard Panner

Any guesses on what year and month the characters will be set in Season 6? Has there been any leaks?

21. Norm Apter

In terms of years, haven't they more or less proceeded chronologically (1 season per year.... seasons 1-5 set from 1961 to 1966)? Pet Sounds and Revolver were featured in Season 5 so I assumed it was '66. If so, I would suspect that Season 6 will be set in 1967 (summer of love?)

22. dirwuf

One of the things they have to take into consideration is the age of Kiernan Shipka, who plays Sally Draper...they probably can't have season 6 start right where season 5 left off as she has aged a full year. Kiernan just turned 13, and they have to keep pace with her real age, and so no jumping too far ahead either.

23. Hard Panner

Hoping they'll be in 1967 when they return, but thinking it will most likely be 1968.

24. dirwuf

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Might have to subscribe via iTunes this season (no cable), rather than waiting almost six months for the blu-ray release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.