Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

The DVD is not a DVD-audio!
    The DVD contains 5.1 DTS & Dolby Digital surround sound mix, high quality stereo 96/24 (new mix), and the original 1972 stereo mix flat transferred to 96/24 PCM, so it is a DVD-Video.

2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Another price drop on Amazon.com.

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Correct.

4. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

5. burningedge

burningedge Forum Resident

Any reviews on how the 5.1 sounds on this?

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It's not out yet.

7. burningedge

burningedge Forum Resident

My bad! Didn't realize it was delayed from the Oct. 15 date. :eek:

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

So, this one will be out next week

Any "first listen" reviews? :wave:

9. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

18.95 pounds at Amazon UK is the cheapest I could find... I'm sitting on the fence for this one, I want the CD very much, but do not want the DVD at all, so the price is a bit steep... I wish they'd released a separate CD version... :-(

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Well you could always send me the DVD. ;)

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

A cute idea. Let's make couples to afford all these redundant box sets. Or even Swedish families, in case of Immersion-like sets. To each his own format! One small problem: I prefer girls. :D

12. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

I received the CD/DVD set today. It isn't very possible to get much further from Burning Shed.
    The package is much more than I expected - it is the size of a DVD case (but fatter) with a very extensive book built in. It has a carboard/paper cover, sort of like an overgrown Digipak on steroids. The only downside is that it won't fit in the usual CD storage boxes.

I'm currently copying the LPCM files off the DVD for the Squeezebox server.
    However, there is always the problem of identifying the tracks.
    Unfortunately the main ones all seem to be the same length.
    The surround files should be easy to choose, but there may be a bit of a challenge between the old and new stereo tracks for these old ears. Time to play "spot the difference"!

Disc Title: JT_TAAB
    Title: 01, Length: 00:00:00.176 Chapters: 01, Cells: 01, Audio streams: 00, Subpictures: 00
    Title: 02, Length: 00:43:40.153 Chapters: 02, Cells: 02, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00
    Title: 03, Length: 00:43:40.153 Chapters: 02, Cells: 02, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00
    Title: 04, Length: 00:43:40.153 Chapters: 02, Cells: 02, Audio streams: 02, Subpictures: 00
    Title: 05, Length: 00:01:02.300 Chapters: 01, Cells: 01, Audio streams: 01, Subpictures: 00

(There is supposed to be:
    - 5.1 DTS surround
    - Dolby Digital surround
    - stereo 96/24 LPCM
    - original 1972 stereo transfer in 96/24
    - 1972 radio advert).

13. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

How are the discs held in it?

14. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

It is a modified Digipak type with the 2 discs overlapping in an "over-under" style ending up looking like a "figure-8". The receptacle is clear acetate with the usual scalloped "finger-grip" depressions in the four corners. The hub clips are spaced apart by the distance of a disc's radius, i.e. the edge of disc A passes ove the hub for disc B. if you want to get the bottom disc out, you have to remove the top one first. (Sorry, over use of Dr Evil "quote" marks).

There may be a name for this particular style of case, but I have not seen one before. It is definitely not a standard DVD case. I had expected more of a deluxe Digibook format, like a lot of Porcupine Tree's well-done 2-disc packages.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm still on the fence about getting this one.
    I'm a big Tull fan (I have all their albums in multiple editions), but I like my audio uncompromised. Is it really more expensive/complicated to author a DVD-A with lossless sound? Not in my experience.

It's really too bad if DTS if the best way we're going to hear the 5.1 mix. Well, at least it's not Dolby only and the stereo remix is in Hi-Res but still...

I didn't get the Deluxe Aqualung (although I really really wanted to) because the set was too expensive. It's like they insist on losing potential customers.

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I don't understand this at all.

If you're a "big Tull fan" you should be buying this for the book alone.

Complaining that the audio specification is too low for you to bother, when they're including DTS surround, and both album mixes at 96/24 PCM, sounds churlish in the extreme.

I'm listening to the new mix right now. I don't feel qualified to comment on the sound quality, but for starters I think that the previous CD version (the one with the 1978 live version tacked on) already sounded pretty good. The new mix sounds immediately more "present": slightly louder (without, I think, being messed up) but slightly warmer and with clearer detail on pretty much everything.

Those are first impressions, but I'm looking forward to giving this some serious attention.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

You cut off Plan9's post. He complained about the DTS surround track. For some folks, DTS isn't good enough. A 24/96 PCM track would have been better. That could have been done on a Blu-Ray disc. They could have offered a Blu-Ray option with 24/96 surround and hi-def video.

18. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

Thanks! That's an excellent description.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, as Keith said, my complain comes from the fact that lossless audio could have been included with no extra cost or effort. It's just 'better bang for the buck' as our American friends say; these reissues cost money you know.

As for the book, I already have two copies of the original-sized newspaper in good condition, so...

20. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Is the DTS at least lossy 24 bit?

21. So you may not get this set because it is DTS for the surround (and priced reasonably), but you didn't get the Aqualung set, which included BR high-res surround, 'cause it was too expensive. I get it it.:)

22. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It's 96/24.

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I didn't buy the Deluxe Aqualung box too. It would cost me about a half of my monthly pension. Am I guilty too? :confused: Or should they just issue these things separately instead of forcing us to buy all excessively redundant multiple copies that won't find their way to our ears until we die? Most of these uber-boxes are just pretty coffins for music.

As for the TAAB CD+DVD set - I'll probably get it if the price drops. It shouldn't cost more than the properly made/authored Crimson sets. Period.

EDIT: As for the book and its supposed value... Dunno, I've already got a couple books about Tull. If I need more I'll rather go to Book Depository site and find one. THIS thing is marketed as a CD+DVD set in the first place.

24. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Thanks. Looking forward to it's arrival now. It would have been nice to have lossless but this will no doubt be "good enough".

25. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I didnt buy the Aqualung box as it was too expensive and contained to much redundant plastic, Vinyl CD DVD and Blu ray. Christ knows why EMI think Vinyl and DVD should be in the same box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.