Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

So far, so good, here. Windy, noisy rain on my windows, but no work!! And no work tomorrow...!! :goodie:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Does it look like mass transit in the city will not be restored until Wednesday? For me, no subway/commuter trains, no commute and will only telecommute if I have power ...

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the second LP IIRC ...

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have found you really can't go wrong with anything Ohlsson has recorded. I picked up a sealed Angel LP for a couple bucks with him playing Rach transcriptions. Will bust it open tonight.

I think a lot of his Chopin is great if not at the top in some cases. :cheers:

5. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying my first spin of the Brahms Piano Quintet.

6. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

First spin of that work altogether, or just from that CD?

7. George P

Both.

8. Tangledupinblue

Wow, you're in for a treat then, that's one of my favourite Brahms works and my favourite chamber work by him after the clarinet pieces.

Enjoy!

9. George P

Thanks, I am very much enjoying the slow movement right now.

I also picked up Leister playing the Clarinet Quintet on Nimbus recently.

Who do you like for the Clarinet sonatas? I saw a cheap copy of the Cohen/Ashkenazy recently.

10. Tangledupinblue

Sorry, I can't help you there as I don't have any recordings of these in my collection - but my Dad may have them at least on CD or LP, and I've just emailed him to find out details so will get back to you.

11. George P

Thanks. Luckily Rubinstein recorded a ton of Brahms chamber music. (I have the Rubinstein Collection) I like his way with this music and the sonics are very good too.

12. Tangledupinblue

My introduction to that work was quite unusual - after struggling with it in its two piano form with my dad and then playing it with a string quartet at university, it was great to finally hear it competently played years after and gain a full appreciation of how fine and rewarding this work is. Before I got my first car I borrowed my parents' which had a six CD changer, and for a few weeks whenever I took it out I was playing just that work off one of the CDs in constant rotation.

It just encapsulates everything that's great about the mature Brahms, whatever era, his nobility, rock solid craftmanship with his ability to create compelling drama from purely abstract material, compelling combination of the old and new (the first movement is quite Bachian in places), lyricism, rhythmic ingenuity and ability to make even the plainest of chord progressions interesting and moving.

13. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Here's a few real teasers for purchase (using Australian dollars rate ) I have come across....on the Presto Classical sites- all Pollini's performances of Chopin on DG from 1978 onwards to 2008 (9 CDs) for $23 ... then just under $24 for the 9 CD set of Barenboims Bruckner Symphonic Cycle with BPO on Warners Classics.And finally again - on DG- Volumes One & Two ( making up 5 and 6 Cds ) that of Chicago and the Los Angeles Orchestras_ of Carla Maria Guilini 's U.S recordings for under $20 each Volume..
    For me, resistance is impossible - at those prices! :)

14. Tangledupinblue

If you don't mind used copies, you might want to snap the only $12.98 up (I believe this is a remastering of the 1968 performance my Dad has on LP):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FHYI1U/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

Or go for something cheaper and more modern:

http://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Clarinet-Sonatas-Weber-Grand/dp/B00000DP5Z

15. George P

16. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this gorgeous gem.

17. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Hope all my Classical Buddies here on the East Coast are ok after the storm?
    I was a bundle of nerves all night but made it thru and electric never went out.

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Lots of flickers but never actually lost power--fingers are crossed that it stays that way!

19. George P

Yeah, I had power and internet throughout the whole thing. All is well here.

20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I was thinking of you yesterday, thinking drh is one dude who could thrive in a power outage (so long as he stays dry), what with all the old phonographs I assume you have. :)

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yep, amazingly we did not loose power and had no damage but others were not so lucky.

22. George P

[​IMG]

This arrived today and i am already listening to it. :goodie:

23. Graphyfotoz

WOW how often does that happen? :D

24. Graphyfotoz

Still hafta hear from Stuart hope He made it thru?

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A great set. Poulenc's stuff is under rated IMO. :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.