Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG] from [​IMG]

Now enjoying the final CD from the above Poulenc box set of chamber works.

2. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 76 Nos 2-4 by Haydn from the above 2 CD set.

3. George P

[​IMG]

And now enjoying some live Debussy from Michelangeli.

4. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Generally I find Poulenc "skittish" in mood..his songs are a good example of this. His music usually "delightfully seems to turn on the head of a pin" in typical French style. That is.... till you get to two of his operas The Human Voice and Dialogue of the Carmelites. You are then taken on a unforgettable journey and given a full walloping 'emotional knock-out' punch to your senses. Two remarkable sharply constrasting sides to one composer.

5. George P

Thanks!

Have you heard this? I love the conductor.

[​IMG]

I just ordered this one:

[​IMG]

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Looks like Stuart might be in the dark with no power?
    Still haven't seen em post......hope He is ok??

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Sergei Rachmaninoff - The Ampico Recordings, Volume Two [L'Oiseau-Lyre 414 099-1 LP ℗ 1979 © 1985, Record producer: Peter Wadland, Sound engineers: Simon Eadon & Jack Law, Estonia-Ampico piano lent by Norman Evans, 'We should like to thank Norman Evans and Denis Hall for their invaluable assistance' — I've really been into myriad Ampico roll recordings lately, on Tacet, Klavier, L'Oiseau-Lyre, et al. — the best of them are simply amazing, as if Grieg, Saint-Saëns, Rachmaninoff, Mahler, Lhévinne are literally in the room with me]
    Gramophone review by Lionel Salter, April 1985 issue:
    [​IMG]

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Leroy Anderson for me.

dale 88 likes this.
  9. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Yeah, I hear that in the Gloria and his other choral/vocal music. A deeper side of his art that is easily overlooked by many.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's a good one.

So is this.

The trio is the thorniest of the four works. That's probably why Brahms preferred it over the more popular quintet.

By the way I'm connecting from a friend's apartment, as I have been without power since Monday.

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I believe I have that in Philips' box set of Brahms complete chamber music. But I tend to play the recording by the Amadeus Quartet with Eschenbach.

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Lovely! I recently ordered and received both boxes with all their Haydn recs:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I had op. 76 before but it was cheaper to get those boxes instead of trying to look for the individual releases.

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Speaking of Brahms' chamber works, this one is for years in my wish lists:

[​IMG]

14. George P

Those boxes seem to be OOP. :shake:

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

and speaking of Poulenc this recent release looks as the definitive box, since it includes all these EMI recs featuring the composer himself and his preferred interpreters (Pretre, Fevrier et al.).

[​IMG]

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Great works!

La Voix Humaine recording by the dedicatees:

[​IMG]

18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

IIRC he lives in the town where my brother lives, just east of my folks. If he's near the water he could have gotten flooded, and definitely could have lost power. My folks got power back last night; my brother actually never lost power, though he was much farther from the water. Hope he's doing OK.

19. Tangledupinblue

Have you been much affected Sean? I haven't seen you much here lately - pretty awful to think that some have been left with a week or more without power or even water, but of course it could be a lot worse.

20. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The Human Voice I have the recording with Pollet. "The Dialogues" with Denise Duval on EMI, ( from 1958?) I brought recently. It long has been considered "The Benchmak" .I wanted it to compliment the Kent Nagano stereo version (on Virgin Records)
    Though recorded only in late mono, surprisingly the EMI Duval recording - when it gets to the final scene- the sound of "the consecutive blade chops" are much more savage and scary than those, on the much more modern stereo Nagano recording of 30 or so years later..

A Poulenc recording I also love...Frederica Von Stade doing Poulenc Songs on a RCA Cd called "Voyage a' Paris".

21. George P

Thanks, C.M.

22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

No, Philadelphia was not hit very hard. Some folks lost power in the suburbs but the damage was nothing like what happened to areas closer to the coast.

I've had an extremely busy work schedule over the past couple of months which has cut down on my time online, plus I've spent more time listening to pop and rock stuff since getting a turntable this summer (including a lot of Stevie Wonder, so I was enjoying your thread). But classical is never far from my mind . . . looking forward to getting to some concerts soon, as well the Murray Perahia box that is out next week.

:cheers:

23. Tangledupinblue

That's good to hear.

Just now listening to the first CD of one of RRB's CMC appreciation free gifts - these were recorded in the mid-1970s:

[​IMG]

I'd listened to these symphonies recently for pretty much the first time, although parts of the "Little Russian" sounded vaguely familar. What do others think of the first? Obviously the last three symphonies are the most highly regarded and deservedly so, but I think I like this best out of the first three - they all have their beauties, but it sounds the freshest and not as self-consciously Russian or Schumannesque as respectively the second and third, with already his skill for orchestration and memorable melodies. The mournful slow movement, aptly titled "Land of Desolation, Land of Mists" is gorgeous, and the first movement and scherzo sound surprisingly reminiscent of Dvorak (sure that's a complete coincidence though) with the trio of the latter already looking forward to his great ballets.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Did they take down the Gramophone archive? I hope NOT!

I noticed that Eddie posted a review earlier but when I try to access the reviews at gramophone.net it gives me a "page not found" page.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am answering my own question, yeah bye bye free Gramophone archive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.