Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I think it's being repackaged in some way. I saw something about there being an app for the archive.

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yep, now is part of the digital subscription.
    I guess they had to do what they had to do in order to survive.

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have an earlier packaging that contains the quintets and sextets.

I have the Quartets by the Melos Quartet and the Quartetto Italiano.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Off to see Schiff play Book II this evening. Hopefully, he can distract me from the stress of having no electricity. I have found it difficult to concentrate on music (through my iPod) the last few days.

Rite of Spring did the trick though.

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I wish to all of you hit by Sandy, all the best et bon courage.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, I hope Stuart is well, he is the only one from whom we haven't heard yet.

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I was actually thinking of getting this box set (I'm a Poulenc newcomer). Are these recordings indeed definitive?

I've also come across several smaller box sets on Decca:

# 1

# 2

# 3

There are some top-notch performers on Decca, albeit for a sheer value the EMI box seems unbeatable. Has anyone heard the Decca's?

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I think so, but the mastering on an earlier piano set from EMI was a bit compressed. :shake:

I heard one CD of the Decca that features the solo works by Roge. I like Tacchino (EMI) a lot more.

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks George, I'll go with the EMI "cube" then. :wave: It's a true bargain.

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

My best Haydn I've picked up so far!
    Presto lists it at $275 right now but there is a US ebay auction going on for the set for $100 or best offer.
    It's been up forsale for a LONG time so guy might sell it for a reasonable offer?
    This 33 CD Set is definitely worth a try!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110933684356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

[​IMG]

11. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 109-111 from the above set.

12. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

^Do you happen to know of any recording that includes the Hammerklavier with the last three sonatas? To be the last four are as inseparable a group when considering Beethoven's late piano sonata style as the last three of Schubert.

13. George P

Yes, many. The above set is one example. Pollini, Rosen and Kempff's late sonata sets are other examples. In fact, Op. 106 is usually paired with the last three in CD sets, whether complete or just the late sonatas (usually at least the last 5 are included.)

And to me, the last three stand above the Hammerklavier, not in some objective sense, but according to my enjoyment. I enjoy the last three a lot more than Op. 106. In fact, I enjoy many of the 32 more than Op. 106.

14. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

OK sorry, I assumed from your post that that set only contained Op.109-11 - is that the complete 32?

15. George P

:agree:

I don't recommend it as a first (or second or third) choice, though. Ashkenazy is not a natural Beethoven pianist and his playing gets bangy at times. A number of times I almost stopped listening and put it away. (Brendel's set on Vox had an even worse effect on me, I listened to a few discs and then put it away and haven't returned since. I honestly don't think Brendel and I agree at all on Beethoven sonatas.)

After hearing the Ashkenazy, my top choices remain (in order):

1. Annie Fischer - Hungaroton (great intensity, sound and consistent performance. Sadly, OOP)
    2. Freidrich Gulda - Amadeo or Brilliant or Decca Eloquence (his mono sets are not as good, IMO)
    3. Backhaus - mono set on Decca (stereo on Original Masters Decca has much better sound and is almost as good, performance-wise, as the mono.)
    4. Emil Gilels - DG (Because he came close to finishing and because his set is the most consistent I have found (even more than the three above.))
    5. Schnabel - Naxos Historical - the first and still one of the best

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The UPS guy just delivered me these goodies!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351807085.610736.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351807098.371321.jpg

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

I sampled the Organ Concerto, my favorite Poulenc, on the above set. Brilliant playing by the British organist Peter Hurford!

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One more classical thread appreciation giveaway. First to PM me gets it for free.

51XaLXLuSpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I ordered the Villa-Lobos set last night from Amazon. I'm looking forward to hearing it on my stereo instead of on the computer.
    This is re: Marc-Andre Hamelin btw.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I just listened to CD1 from the Argenta set that contains this classic LP from 1957.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351813609.012415.jpg

Fun music, excellent mastering and sound!

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Now playing the Beethoven 7 from this great disc:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351813843.243118.jpg

23. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

If one selects looking at a particular musical work at PrestoClassical, when it then lists all the available recordings, also many times , it can give informative notes .. plus (abridged) various critics' opinions of the works in a lot of cases. Enough I find, for someone to form - an fair impression and your own opinion. Nor do the snippets of reprinted expressed statements 'forever gush' as I found too often with the Gramophone.
    There must be other similar 'unlocked' sites that you can use this way to give equal benefit, that you seek.:)
    The Gramophone...both as a magazine and its site information...I think has gradually continued to diminish as a useful tool, as time has gone on.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I agree, with the abundance of information available on the internet, Gramophone has become less important. In addition to Presto that you mentioned, Archivmusic has with their products reviews from Gramophone, Fanfare and other sources and this is really helpful.

Still I am going to miss the free access to the Gramophone archive (I am considering actually to subscribe but have not made up my mind yet.)
    The reason is that I listen to a lot of classical recordings on vinyl, mostly from the 50s and 60s, a significant number of which have not become available on cd. And even if they are available there are things concerning the LP that do not apply to the digital release. For instance, quite often, I was using the archive to get information about the sound quality of the record, details about the specific pressing etc.

But, like you said, internet is our best friend and almost always the information that we seek is out there :)

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Here's a good one.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.