Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Dona nobis pacem

Great, great example of what I'm talking about. My introduction to the "Missa Solemnis" was Klemperer with the Philharmonia. Exquisitely played? Sorta, but the tempos are far off. I didn't really hear the "Missa Solemnis" until I had the good fortune to record David Babbitt leading the San Franciso Bach Choir performing the work, with lots of ringers from the Philharmonia Baroque in the orchestra. For the first time I heard a 'Quick' Missa Solemnis, and suddenly the pieces fell in place. The Zinman/Tonhalle recording uses the same tempos as did Babbitt, to the same effect, and these are Beethoven's metronome indications. It makes for the most remarkable spiritual transformation of Beethoven's chorale masterwork.

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Hey, dig that chick." "Yeah, she's groovy."

I didn't think you wanted slow, you're not that type. :angel:

Played Annie Fischer in Op. 110 a few days ago. She's cosmic, alright. Love Kempff in the work as well. But Charles Rosen points out that the accelerando that everyone else plays in the end of the work is not indicated by the composer. He plays without, to good musical effect.

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

One of my unforgettable concert experiences ever was Pollini and the Hammerklavier live in Athens a decade ago.

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Wasn't Taub's recording played at the tempo indicated by Beethoven in the metronome markings? If so, Gulda is only off in the slow movement, while Schnabel is off in the first and third movements:

Taub Gulda Schnabel Pollini

9:13 ... 9:29 ... 8:48 ... 10:38
    2:29 ... 2:19 ... 2:39 ... 2:40
    15:05 . 13:42 . 18:09 . 17:09
    11:12 . 11:25 . 11:13 . 12:14

Pollini, my favorite in this work, happens to be the furthest from the tempo markings. But then, I have always favored enjoyment over authenticity.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I know, most of my classical collection comes from Goodwill, thrift stores, library sales etc. Through the years I have found incredible gems for $1 or less.

6. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

So Schnabel actually plays it even faster than Beethoven indicated, if that's humanly possible? Or does he just do a lot of accelerando towards the end?

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

No doubt, as do I. Still, being as I was once a member of SFEMS, you can understand my interest in authenticity. I've owned the Pollini recording several times, once when it came out, once in a first class Japanese pressing, and later on CD. Still hasn't 'taken', but one never knows now, do one?

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Alex, I remember seeing him in Athens in 97 or 98 in the Megaron, was that the same concert?

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Methinks it's time for a new thread.

Currently spinning Charles Rosen's first recordings of Beethoven's op. 110 and 106:

Attached Files:

10. George P

:wave:

Yes, let's continue this over here. :wave:

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

12. George P

Guys, let's continue this over here.