What it the provenance of "Thee" in Garage Rock band names?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

.. and for that matter, who were the first to use it?

2. woody

woody Forum Resident

I don't know thee answer....

I have Thee Midniters from 1966 in my collection from a Teenage Shutdown comp as possibly my earliest "Thee" band

also just found Thee Sixpence (later to become Strawberry Alarm Clock) active in '66, too.

3. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I think Thee Midnighters used the extra "e" to distinguish themselves from The Midnighters (with Hank Ballard).

4. woody

woody Forum Resident

True and I think they were actually Thee Midniters without the "gh" according to wiki.

"Thee Midniters adopted the unusual "Thee" to avoid the possibility of a legal challenge from the established R&B group of a somewhat earlier era, Hank Ballard & The Midnighters.[1] Thee Midniters' popularity and influence was such that a number of Eastside bands of the time adopted the "Thee" moniker, including Eddie Serrano and Thee Enchantments."

5. woody

woody Forum Resident

6. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I don't know but Thee Oh Sees are awesome and carry on the tradition!

7. woody

woody Forum Resident

8. woody

woody Forum Resident

Another early Thee band:

http://pnwbands.com/theealaddins.html

Now maybe they had heard of Thee Midniters but that might be a stretch, as I can find no Thee Midniters release before '65 and these guys say they started before then. Maybe they had seen them tour...

9. woody

woody Forum Resident

Found a band called Thee Noblemen that started as The Silvertones and then The Noblemen in 1963. They changed their names somewhere in 1963-1964.

[​IMG]

10. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Wow really great question and thread.

11. woody

woody Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The Jades were not hip with thee times.

12. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

story checks out :righton:

13. woody

woody Forum Resident

I just attempted an email to a former member of Thee Aladdins, so maybe we can hear where they came up with their Thee.

I've also been scouring the internet for maybe a movie that had a gang with Thee in their names in the late 50's or early 60's, as I imagine that could've been a source, but I've had no luck.

So Thee Midniters' "Land of 100 Dances" was released in 1964. This has to be it!

http://books.google.com/books?id=Oc...#v=onepage&q=thee midniters tour 1964&f=false

14. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

:D

15. woody

woody Forum Resident

1000 Dances of course...

16. margaritatoldtom

margaritatoldtom Well-Known Member

is that the lou reed related pickwick records 'the jades' ?

cheers,
    rob

17. woody

woody Forum Resident

No idea, I found the poster on a Chicano rock website with tones of posters from LA in the 60's.

18. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Hello!

Thee Oh Sees are my favorite music discovery this year. I love the energy and sound.

Robert

19. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

What about Thee Thee?

20. woody

woody Forum Resident

Definitely, not Lou Reed's Jades.
    http://whitedoowopcollector.blogspot.com/2009/05/jadesso-blue.html

and I doubt it was any of those Jades from TX either. I think there was a female led Jades it might've been. With all of the bands named The Jades, it's a wonder I can't find any Thee Jades.

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

Playgirl by Thee Prophets got a fair bit of airplay around here in 1969.

22. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I was wondering about this the other day when seemingly every other modern band name coming up on the Underground Garage had 'Thee' in it.

23. Jman

Jman New Member

May I post a hypothesis? Completely unfounded?

Here goes, this pertains to the pronunciation of the word "the", of which there are two iterations: thē and thuh (imagine the shwah e for thuh, any linguists out there).

So when an object epitomizes the subject in a sentence, verbally, and in English, the speaker often emphasizes this fact with a long E sound in "the."

Imagine a countdown on the radio, DJ is announcing the number one song of the week and to give it some spice, she says "here it is, thē number one song this week..."

So I think this was a way for bands to build that hype into their name?... Anyone? Any takers? It's either that or a copyright/trademark issue, Bc the first time I remeber this was the headcoats/thee headcoatees? I think....

ajsmith and DesertIslander like this.
  24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I always assumed it was a legal maneuver for bands where another existing band had the same name, but with "The" at the front.

If you went with "THEE" it was because you were either unwilling to part with the name, or maybe had built up enough of a following that it was worth it to keep it. At least when people talked about you, it would still SOUND the same, right?

ajsmith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.