Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yeah, I paid about $24.88 through Amazon.com US, I thought it was a fair price. I have had this puppy for a couple of days now. I just can't see trying to shop around different countries to save a few bucks if it cause grief and aggrivation.

2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I was at my local BB today and was surprised to find about a dozen on the shelves. They are priced the same as Amazon. It's a good thing I had a gift card that was burning a hole in my wallet!

3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

stick with the MFSL?

4. therockman

I like the 24/96 transfer of the orignal two-track master tape. It just sounds very organic and dynamic.

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It seems they replicated the original colour of the Chrysalis UK label nicely, just as they did in the Aqualung 40th.

6. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

I listened to the DTS 5.1 mix today. I have to say that the highs on this mix are very harsh and there is not enough bottom end. It just sounds very thin and not enough depth In the overall sound? Prob would have sounded better as a DVD audio, or DTS Master audio. This is my least favorite Steve Wilson 5.1 remix. I just listened to his 5.1 mix of Larks and that sounded amazing. It is a shame because Thick as a brick is one of my favorite albums.

7. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

Damn, you're right... that picture they've got there is wrong, though.

Still, $80 for two LPs is still extremely overpriced for me, as much as I love this album. I'll wait for some time to see if amazon.ca finally honors the (wrong) price, and if not, I'll just wait for a price drop (even with the book, this shouldn't cost more than $50... more than that is just wrong).

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll wait too. I played my original TAAB record today and it sounded great but I'd love to have the Wilson remix too.

9. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

The Wilson Remix (stereo) has a DR of 10, the remaster is 12. Sounds it too.
    The remix is also on the bright side for my tastes.

I'm in the process of running the remix through iZotope RX Declipper and a graphic EQ to make a custom jobbie from the 24/96 files.

10. craig leonard

craig leonard Forum Resident

Damn annoying this is; especially as the rest of the 5.1 sounds pretty good. I've probably heard this album 100 times in my life, yet Wilson's mix makes it sound "new" at times.

Hopefully the record company will provide some sort of replacement program. I've waited a long time for the 5.1 mix, yet the three glitches early on take some of the fun out of it.

11. therockman

We never got a replacement for the Aqualung Blu Ray, and those glitches are far worse than these.

12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

What now Peter Mew is the boogie man appearing on releases where he's not credited? Give me a break. And for the most part the consensus was that he did a good job on Aqualung.

13. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Why in the universe would they squash the dynamics???:confused:
    Compressed dynamics is definitely not an improvement.:realmad:

14. therockman

The dynamics of the Steven Wilson Aqualung are terribly squashed; it sounds dead to my ears. No dynamics on the Steve Wilson Aqualung.

15. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

I have honestly never noticed any diminished dynamics compared to my DCC version.

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Not sure what "Steven Wilson Aqualung" are you referring to. The 2CD set which I bought sounds incredibly dynamic for a recent release. And this dynamics report from the well-known site corresponds to what I hear. (At the same time some folks here rave about the recent Kinks deluxe editions and call them definitive despite they generally have a DR of 8-9 dB. C'mon.)

It's a bit sad that the new remix of TAAB is less dynamic and, even more so, that there are some glitches. Can Steven Wilson himself shed some light on this? Maybe the label still aren't aware of the problem? Did anyone write to them?

tkl7 likes this.
  17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

One of the odd things about SW is that he's a big name for remixes, but he doesn't have a signature sound. I think he honestly tries to serve (what he perceives to be) the sound of the album, which is why his KC work is very forward & dynamic, whereas his work on Caravan, Tull and ELP is comparatively polite.

I've been listening to the new stereo mix up against the previous mix in my collection, and the significant differences just don't seem to be there. Either there was no additional detail to resolve or SW looked at the mix and thought that the album was pretty much there as it stood.

People looking for dramatic changes on this release are going to be disappointed.

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Right.
    Excuse me for being snarky. I'll give you a break, I'll be sorry if Peter Mew is not involved. I'm fed up with Tull sounding too bright for my taste. Like Steven Wilson said about Aqualung, "Peter Mew seems to have added some extra brightness, around the 10-12K area - I can't say I prefer it that way, but again it's a taste thing."
    This time with TAAB the cymbals are destroyed in parts of the 5.1 mix. Ignoring the glitches. The 5.1 mix is a treat at lower levels. For me, less bright and it would be a perfect 5.1 experience. Subtle surround when it needs to be. Listening at a reasonable level it will do, cranked then I have a real problem with the top end.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7229286&postcount=15

19. therockman

The 5.1 mix on the Blu Ray. I have never listened to the CD.

20. therockman

Thanks for that positive perspective. I have not listened to the 5.1 mix yet, but I have enjoyed the high resolution transfer of the original stereo mix a couple of times now. Shame about the end of that mix being missing.

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

You know, for those here who have the software, one could conceivably take that flat transfer and apply Steve Hoffman's EQing from his DCC version to create a high resolution DCC version of the whole album (vs just side one). That could be fun.

I listened to the high resolution stereo remix for the first time yesterday. It does have a more live sound to it in that Barriemore Barlow's cymbal work is more out front, and the bass is less muddy. The whole thing leans toward the detail side of the spectrum and away from warm and fuzzy. The dynamic changes I noticed were the few spots where the original mix had an extra bit of dynamic jump at key points that this mix doesn't have. It doesn't sound like a result of limiting in the mastering. I think it's the way Steven mixed it.

Overall, I think the remixes strong points are during the quieter moments whereby--either from the higher resolution and/or mixing choices by Steven--the sound is more lush without being muddy. The layering of various chords from different instruments was better delineated. For the louder, more aggressive, dynamically jumpy moments I still prefer the original. In either case the music still shines through. What a wonderful album.

I've yet to listen to the surround mix.

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I seriously doubt that a higher resolution state-of-art multichannel mix can be mastered any "hotter" than a CD. But I might be wrong.

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I think the vinyl Wilson remix of Aqualung sounds very dynamic. Love it.

24. I really feel quite sorry for Steven Wilson. On one hand he has people jumping up and down with excitement praising his work, on the other hand he has people slamming his work. If I was him I'd feel quite conflicted. No matter what he does he is not going to please everyone.

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Isn't that the case for anyone in the audio mastering/mixing game including SH? You can't please everyone...I don't think it's a realistic goal to even try to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.