Does Anyone Have an Opinion on UK CD label BGO Records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigpink68, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Their Buddy Holly 2-fers were not indecent.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The Savoy Brown ones were good as well.

3. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I have all of the Johnny Rivers and they're fine for when they were recorded. The Poco comments I agree with as well as ARS. Overall, a very good label.

4. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

My conclusion in general:
    When they do Universal back catalog, it is OK, sometimes good.
    When they do Sony back catalog, it's from poor to unlistenable.

Memphis Slim CD was unlistenable completely :(

5. bigpink68

bigpink68 New Member Thread Starter

Agreed. I had all of their Savoy Brown issues first and it led me to buy others in their catalogue.

6. ImADrifter

ImADrifter Forum Resident

I have their two Bobby Goldsboro 2-on-1 discs.

"Honey"/"Summer (The First Time)" is pretty good sounding, just a little hiss. "It's Too Late"/"Today" has a little noise on some of the "It's Too Late" album tracks from 1966.

BGO is still the only place to find the latter three albums on CD, so I have to applaud them and hope they release some more of Goldsboro's extensive catalog.

7. Interesting theory.

I have some John Mayall discs (incl. Turning Point), and they sound pretty good.

I also have a Johnny Winter twofer, and I am not too happy with it. Not terrible, quite good EQ actually, but too loud/compressed.

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

The only Beat Goes On issue I have is Zephyr S/T on vinyl. Bought it new in 1989. The artwork is slightly different to the original ABC Probe, so easy to identify with brighter colors. I can't remember any glaring mastering differences, so probably need to revisit it.

9. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

avoid them,you'll end up selling them.

i did.

10. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

Which ones and why?

11. AORBenny

AORBenny Forum Resident

Which Ones And Why?

12. michel34

michel34 Forum Resident

I have at least Bobby Blue Bland - Dreamer on BGO.
    This outperforms the awful MCA master by far.

Excellent album by the way. Includes one of the best soul songs ever recorded: Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City!

13. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I've always had a good experience with their releases and on the whole their mastering is not excessive and they keep to the flavour of the original tapes I often turn to one of their releases after being disappointed with a major record company release of the same title and have found the mastering or lack of it sounding better to my ears.

14. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

I'm happy with most of my BGO cd's. I have:

Stephen Stills - Stills/Illegal Stills/Thoroughfare Gap (2cd)
    Dillard & Clark - Fantastic Expedition.../Through the Morning...
    David Johansen - David Johansen/Live It Up
    Freddie Hubbard - High Energy/Liquid Love/Windjammer (2cd)

Only the David Johansen cd sounds pretty rough.

I also have two old Byrds cd's on BGO, Fifth Dimension and Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde, which sound ok.

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

You have to be careful about believing what the package promises. I bought the Bobby Vee Greatest Hits/More Greatest Hits disc because it had the original mono covers reproduced on the front cover, and made no mention of being stereo anywhere else on its exterior, leading a consumer to conclude that these would be the original mono mixes. They weren't. I sent an email to BGO about this, I received a reply that they didn't see what the problem was. Spending 18 bucks on a Bobby Vee CD was problem enough, but their intransigence was baffling, and I should have gotten what I was led to believe I was getting.

16. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I like my BGO's of The Tubes--Love Bomb (only way to get it) and Outside/Inside with original Martha Davis vocals on "The Monkey Time". The US CD has Michele Gray on vocals due to some contractual issues I guess. She's good, I just liked the original a little better.

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I have all of the 'Brinsley Schwarz' BGO 2-fers (four in total). They sound very good, in deed.

"Remastered From Original Master Tapes. Additional Sleeve Notes. Faithfully Restored Artwork."

Devon likes this.
  18. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

The two BGOs I have both sound very nice to my ears:

Jan Akkerman - Profile
    & Comus - First Utterance

I've read mixed reviews about their Gentle Giant CDs but haven't heard any of them myself since I already owned CDs of their whole catalog which I was satisfied with. So for GG, it might be a good idea to investigate further. I'm pretty sure they've been covered in the GG threads right on this forum.

Devon likes this.
  19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have not sold one of the ones I have bought. The Three Dog Night titles may be the weakest of the lot that I have purchased but I still find them very listenable.

One thing to note, some BGO titles are clones of the earlier GOTT releases (ARS, Three Dog Night)

20. zen

zen Senior Member

Agreed. I've got all those Buddy Holly 2-fers from BGO and enjoy them all.

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Who/what/where is the story with GOTT? Googled them but didn't see much background on them...?

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I don't know much about the label, it went under and some of their better releases were picked up by BGO, same mastering used. I bought the GOTT ARS two-fers and was happy to see that they live on via BGO.

Malina likes this.
  23. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Kevin Ayers:

Joy Of A Toy (1969) BGOCD78
    I think there are two BGO CD masters (there were two BGO issues, different booklet and tray art, as well as two additional EMI CDs)... only have one: don't know which BGO I'd recommend.

Shooting At The Moon - Kevin Ayers and The Whole World (1970) BGOCD13
    A group album with Ayers leading, this sounds quite good.

Whatevershebringswesing (1972) BGOCD11
    Pretty sure there are two BGO CD masters of this great album (and two additional EMI CDs)... I heard a BGO manufactured in France or Holland and it sounded very different, prefer the UK issue.

Bananamour (1973) BGOCD142
    Some great songs on this album: the CD sounds sort of OK.

Rainbow Takeaway (1978) BGOCD189
    I like this one a lot, a very good sounding CD.

Bo Diddley:

Hey! Bo Diddley / Bo Diddley (both released in 1963 by Pye Records) BGOCD287
    Two of Bo's UK albums, the second one features true stereo mixes. Although I prefer some of those tracks in mono, this release is great, sounds decent. Those LPs (and the US Chess versions) are important to rock history.

stefane likes this.
  24. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I have quite a few BGO cd's and have been quite happy with the mastering. Their recent remastering of the Groundhogs lp's are great. They generally do not use any noticeable noise reduction like the Repertoire label does, although their release of the Hollies Butterfly does have offensive NR.

A couple of classic BGO CDs worth mentioning:
    Leslie West - Mountain - BGO version is far superior to the earlier issues on Columbia and BuyOrDie

Byrds - Fifth Dimension - I have no idea why this came out on BGO and not Edsel like other other early Byrds titles did but the BGO cd is is the only good sounding CD version of the original analogue mix. The original US Columbia CD is dreadful. This CD was quickly deleted and is rather hard to find.

25. pjr114

pjr114 Forum Resident

I have most of the Trower 2 on 1 CDs. I believe it was Twice Removed From Yesterday that started me on that particular buying binge because at the time it was out of print in the U.S. Also have the BLT 2 on 1, Jack Bruce, Robin Trower and Bill Lordan. All of these sound very good. My only quibble is they totally messed up the notes on the BLT release, overprinting two pages on one page in the booklet. Always bugged me and could find no way to contact them, at least from the labeling on the package.