What Were the Three Best Concerts You Ever Saw?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlanator

Harlanator Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, another wild card, my apologies as a new forum member for posing some perhaps obvious questions. We all have our own roster of great shows, but when you want to tell your grandchildren about genuine magic, witnessed by you yourself, what are you going to try to explain to them? Specific dates immaterial, Space In Time

My gun-to-head answers:

Paul McCartney - Cincinnati - August 2011
    Grateful Dead - Winterland - June 1977
    Pink Floyd - Pulse Tour - 1994

Just my choices, I would be fascinated what shows anchored for life with other forum members.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The Who: Boston Tea Party, 1969
    Bruce Springsteen: Vets Hall, Columbus, Ohio, 1977
    Jesse Winchester: Jammin Java, Virginia, 2011

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Vets Auditorium, Columbus, Ohio, 1977
    The Who, Boston Tea Party, Boston, Mass., 1969
    Jesse Winchester, Jammin Java, Vienna, Virginia, 2011
    JD Souther, The Mansion on O Street, Washington, DC, 2012
    Love and the Zombies, State Theater, Falls Church, Virginia, 2007
    All transcendent

4. marke

marke Forum Resident

Sting Brisbane 1988
    Nine Inch Nails Big Day Out Brisbane 2000
    Red Hot Chili Peppers Big Day Out 2000 (fantastic day at the festival. Joe Strummer and Foo Fighters also played).

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Knebworth 1976
    A baking hot afternoon in August and Skynyrd enter the huge red stage and play an absolutely brilliant set. The sleepy crowd was overwhelmed and by the end everyone was on their feet. A few songs are featured in the "Freebird" movie.

The Stray Cats - The Venue, London 1979
    This was incredible. A small packed venue and one of the band's very first UK gigs. Terrific performance which ended with the band coming off stage to play on the dance floor amongst the crowd who formed three separate rings round each member of the band. It was like being in a movie.

The Clash - Hammersmith Palais 1980
    London Calling hadn't been out long and the band played this superb small hall in London. They were at their absolute peak I'd say and this was before Mick Jones started putting all sorts of echo effects on his guitar which ruined the band's sound.

- Other contenders: Bowie (New Bingley Hall 78 and Wembley 80), Rory Gallagher (several times Manchester in the early 70s), Joy Division (Factory, Manchester), Iggy (The Venue and a tiny club in Nottingham), The Buzzcocks (about 9 times and every one a gem), Miles Davis (Vienne, France 90s), Joe Jackson (The Venue), The Ramones (Manchester Apollo 1978), ...

levi likes this.
  6. Harlanator

Harlanator Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like the last answer, tell us why, for me:
    Sir Paul; A summary of my lifetime with a voice that hasn't wavered for 40 years and a band that played its nut off, a special night that fairly captured my entire exisitence.
    Grateful Dead Winterland 1977: Man, what a run, the first Terrapin, Jerry had the 'cosmic pin up his ass', the Dead were NEVER better
    Pink Floyd 1994: My first experience with perfect live sound, in a stadium no less, I walked away truly impressed.

So may other candidates, but these register. Please tell us why your picks matter.

7. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

the jimi hendrix experience...royal albert hall london
    captain beefheart and the magic band...bracknell sports centre
    weather report..a forgotten london venue...theatre royal drury lane perhaps...

quicksrt likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Wow. Which one? November 67, 18 Feb or 24 Feb 69?

9. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

the first time i saw van morrison was life changing for me,i had an epiphany.
    this kind of mystical feeling i've had only a couple more times,on a ornette coleman concert,an on a concert by Dejohnette,Peacock,Jarett.
    Good shows i've seen a lot but usually it's just fun.in this 3 occasions i felt there was somethin else more serious underway,like they were in touch
    with something..specially van,he was standing on ground most performers don't know exists.

10. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band
    28-Jul-1978 Miami,FL Jai Alai Fronton
    You never forget your first Sprinsteen concert.

Peter Gabriel, Secret World Tour
    4-Aug-1993 Miami, FL
    A brilliant performance by the artist and his band.

The Beach Boys with special guest Ringo Starr
    4-Jul-1983 Miami Beach, FL
    The Beach Boys. Miami Beach. July 4th. Free concert. Wow.

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin - 02 London December 2007 - Amazing, can't wait to see the DVD

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Royal Albert Hall 2012 - My first and most probably last time i'll ever get to see them live. Stunning performance.

Smashing Pumpkins - Raymond Revue Bar, Soho, London, 4th July 1993 - Acoustic show, 100 people, invited audience. I won a ticket through the NME. A preview for the upcoming Siamese Dream album release. For a long time my alltime fave live show.

12. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Stones, 1981
    Who, 1982
    Dead, RFK 7-12-90

Honorable mention, Ray Davies, 1996

13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

#1 -- Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" tour, 1972 *

#2 -- The Who "Who's Next" tour, 1971

#3 -- Jimi Hendrix, Summer 1968

#4 -- Jethro Tull "A Passion Play" tour, 1973

Honorable Mention to:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (1982 or so)
    The Divinyls [when they were a rock band before becoming a pop band] (1982 or so)
    The Kinks (1990 or so)
    Shuggie Otis (late 1980's)
    Grateful Dead (not one particular show, but the best segments of many of their shows were magical)
    Neil Young (can't remember best show, I've seen him several times)

* Of the many people I know that saw this show, or the "Aqualung" or "Benefit" tour shows, even those with various musical tastes, I know very, very few who don't think that Tull, in their prime, put on the best live shows they've ever seen) :goodie:

joelee and showtaper like this.
  14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

CSNY Washington DC on first comeback tour when Crosby was healthy again
    Neil Young, Ragged Glory Tour in Lehigh PA
    Jim Carroll Band at Whiskey in LA

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Calgary, 2012 (loud and intense, just what I expected:D)
    Bob Dylan, Edmonton, 1998 (Dylan seemed to be enjoying the show, which I understand makes all the difference when Bob plays live)
    Ringo Starr & (First) All Starr Band, Edmonton, 1989 (absolutely killer band for that tour!)

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

King Crimson. The Pier NYC June 1984.
    Laurie Anderson. The Orpheum Boston 1986? "Home of the Brave" Tour
    Peter Gabriel. The Orpheum Boston 1980.

All three of these were simply intense.

17. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

The Who: Largo, MD, 12/13/79
    Kinks: Largo, MD 6/1/83
    many, many contenders for #3, but for today I select: Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians: Washington, DC Nov. '85, first set

18. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Weather Report - Hammersmith Odeon 14th Nov 1980
    Amazing concert given that I thought they'd completely blown it with Mr Gone and that the reviews from the previous year were nothing special. far more focused, and some memorable new tunes which had just come out on Night Passage including probably Jaco's Three Views of a Secret.

George Russell - 80th Birthday Concert Barbican 13th June 2003
    Almost a summary of his career and IIRC the last time he ever toured. The sound of Palle Mikkelborg from off-stage and then slowly coming on and prowling around blowing the most amazing trumpet on Listen To The Silence was simply stunning.

Brian Wilson presents Smile - RFH 22nd Feb 2004
    I don't really have to comment here really - one of the most magical and memorable experiences of my life. A real privilege to be able to say "I was there".

Feel guilty about missing out some of the Art Ensemble of Chicago gigs especially the Roundhouse in 1982 and Lester Bowie at the same venue the following year with the amazing voice of David Peaston (sadly both no longer with us).

19. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Paul McCartney, MSG 4/27/02
    Bob Dylan/The Band MSG 1/31/74

and a slew tied for third.

20. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Husker Du - NYC Warehouse tour. Just monstrous.

Jeff Buckley - Wetlands NYC around the time of Grace. Was a few feet from the stage memorizing.

Paul Simon - Graceland tour Jones Beach NY

(IF I MAY list a couple others that are neck and neck:

Sex Pistols - first reunion tour NYC
    Lindsey Buckingham - last year here in FL
    And Billy Bragg and Jonathan Richman have always been great to super duper great :D any time I've seen them.)

21. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Great thread.

Deep Purple, Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, March 1985 (This was the second Detroit show in a month. Many say this was the best show of the entire tour)
    A Perfect Circle, The State Theater, Detroit, August 2000 (The closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had at a concert)
    The Mars Volta, Joe Louis Arena, September 2005 (Opening for System of a Down. I've never seen a crowd turn so fast in favor of an opening band before. Within two songs, TMV were heroes)

22. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Wilson Pickett, with TV Mama and others - Howard Theater, Washington, DC - summer 1966
    Motortown Review, with Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas, Four Tops, Contours, Junior Walker and the All-Stars, and
    others - Memorial Auditorium, Chattanooga, TN - August, 1964
    B.B. King, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Wlvin Bishop - Fillmore East, New York - 1970

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Chronological order :righton:

Jimmy Page & Robert Plant - Vina del Mar 1996
    Paul McCartney - Santiago 2011
    Jean Luc Ponty - Valparaiso 2011

Honourable mentions:

U2 - Santiago 1998
    Los Jaivas - Vina 1997
    Congreso - Vina 2007

24. DAGLJAM6

DAGLJAM6 Forum Resident

Todd Rundgren - the Sunrise theater Fl. 1989 "Nearly Human" Tour
    The Who - Carter Finley Stadium N.C. 1989
    The Grateful Dead - 1989 or '90 I'd have to pull the stub from storage but one of the best overall I was in the 2nd row on the main floor 20' or so from the stage really great time.

25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Bob Dylan at the Tsongas Arena, Lowell, Ma Dec 2001
    John Mellencamp at Mansfield, Ma Sep 13th 2001
    Eilen Jewell with Girls, Guns & Glory at The Narrows Center For The Arts, Fall River, Ma Jan 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.