2013 MFSL Listings (2013 MusicDirect Catalog)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evad, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow - thanks again. I pulled all the discs out of the shelves and checked what I had written down for each one, and I had made mistakes. All fixed now.

Myke likes this.
  2. Metralla

How much "trumping" are we talking about? Which ones have you compared?

3. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

They're doing them all. They're presently up through Imperial Bedroom. They'll issue all the Stiff/F-Beat/Columbia series, AFAIK.

4. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Dylan : No CD = No Sale. Damn.

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Love the inclusion of INXS titles, but wish they'd do Welcome To Wherever You Are instead. I know X isn't super common, but Thieves and Kick are easy to find in original pressings for a couple of bucks.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Speaking objectively, of course. ;)

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Has MFSL announced that the 2013 Dylan titles will be released on vinyl only? If they are released on SACD, they will be hybrids, meaning you will get your CD. The Dylan SACDs released by MFSL this year have been hybrids.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm still waiting for Out of the Blue. ;)

full moon likes this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I am really looking forward to this week's release of Blood On The Tracks to see how it compares to the Sony SACD and original CD. Plus one on the Desire and Infidels, although I always thought Infidels sounded good right from the first release.

10. playbsides

playbsides Forum Resident

The inclusion of Ryan Adams's brilliant Love is Hell is interesting.

Love is Hell is one of the "holy grail" vinyl releases in the Ryan Adams catalog. The original release came out on two 10" records and are in the multi-hundreds of dollars when they are available on eBay. For Lost Highway Records 10th Anniversary in 2011, they planned a series of vinyl releases that were in some cases reissues and in some cases never released in the US on vinyl at all, which included a 2 LP clear vinyl pressing of Ryan's Gold that "fixed" the original sins committed by the label by including "side 4" which rounds the album back out to 2 LP's (the first 150K copies of Gold on CD had the 2nd CD which was called "Side 4"). The reissue of Gold was on clear vinyl. They had also planned a release of Love Is Hell as a 1 LP release-- I believe also as a clear vinyl.

The label pulled the release for reasons unclear. I think that it might have been due to the public comments Ryan made about the fact that Lost Highway didn't use analog masters to create the vinyl and that they didn't confer with him about the releases. In his opinion, none of his albums on Lost Highway should be on vinyl the way they are today.

Originally, the 2 10" records were echoed on CD's as two releases, and then later Lost Highway ironically bundled the two CD's together into one CD and included a bonus track ("Anyone Want to Take Me Home") The story of this release is part of Adams legend-- He wanted to release this album as the follow-up to Gold and the label, who didn't hear a hit album, sent him back to the drawing board but said they'd release the album as EP's. He recorded Rock N Roll, which most people find to be the worst album in his "official catalog (I'm not one of them-- it was the first album of his I really listened to). So, it will be interesting to see how MoFi is doing this release. According to Wikipedia, the "full album" version of Love Is Hell is over 68 minutes, so that is two LP's.

LeeS likes this.
  11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Me too.

LeeS likes this.
  12. Metralla

Agreed - it sounded very, very good on the original LP. It was a nice clear recording without the sludge.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yeah, it was a digital recording IIRC, I was really pleased with the sound; even on the "budget"system I had way back in 1983.

14. The MOFI folks aren't completely oblivious to newer music as evidenced by the Weezer titles here and their past Beck and Faith No More releases but the # of newer titles released is exasperating. There are many albums from the past decade or so that I'd run, not walk, to the store to pick up. How about some Portishead ? how about Arcade Fire's 'Funeral' ? how about Radiohead ?, Bjork ? Wilco ?, how about DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing' ?

I have a hard time believing i) that the respective record co's wouldn't like to see some more exposure for these albums and / or ii) these 'wouldn't benefit' from a work over as some would have you believe.

C'mon MOFI !

15. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

'Wonder if they can do The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot without all of that horrible modulation noise this time. Of course maybe that is on the master tape. Anyone know if that master was recorded with DBX noise reduction? 'Sure sounds like it to me.

16. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

I second this! Very happy to see these on the list. While not as essential, adding Big Bam Boom to it would be nice to have their 80's hit album streak complete on MFSL.

17. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Forum Resident

I'm with you! I love the work they do but I wish they would diversify themselves a little bit more. I will pick up a couple Dylan records though.

18. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Skynyrd on MOV has been out for a while - I have this and a VG SOS pressing. Is it definitive that all MOV titles are digital? Anyway, the MOV sounds darn good.

I think AP is also doing Second Helping on vinyl soon.

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Definitely will be picking up Santana III.

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I need the Love is Hell LP

21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Not all. They skipped Trust.:cry:

22. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Perhaps I should sell my 10-inchers now....

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Is it sad that the day that the Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, and Mapleshade catalogs show up are among the happiest days of my year? :D

My 2013 Music Direct catalog just showed up today, and man, is it thick. Should be some fun reading tonight.

24. Metralla

Should have mine today in the mail box.

25. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Just got mine in, I was wondering when it would show up. I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, btw. Very nice looking catalog!

full moon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.