Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

2. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Wow this news is just the tonic I need right now, although like Matt I hope they spread these releases out over a period of time as I'm skint right now and Christmas is coming.

4. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

This is incredible news lets hope for a mono 'Come Fly With Me' and a non-echoed 'Songs For Swingin' Lovers' this could be a chance to finally put this album out the way it was intended, looks like an expensive 2013.

5. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Indeed. Trying to figure out a way to get these into the house without my marital supervisor finding them...

I can already hear, "...don't you already have those...."

Bob Belvedere and mikrt17 like this.
  6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It would be the edited/processed LP version, not full length.

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

:goodie: great news....so hope Snogs for Swinging Lovers...is perfection!!!

8. DJ WILBUR

this is a rather "mellow" batch of Sinatra...the last three you mention, wonderful stuff, his "saloon" tunes...you might want to get a bit of "swinging" stuff to balance this batch of titles out...all very slow/mid tempo the ones you're asking about...maybe also check out some of these.

Songs For Swinging Lovers (one of my faves)
    Sinatra Swinging Session
    Swing Easy
    Come Dance With Me.

you can hear sound samples at amazon or itunes just to get the vibe of "concept record" here.

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Lets hope they don't spell it like that! :)

10. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Also recommend the: Songs For Young Lovers/Swing Easy (Music For Pleasure edition) although it reversed the release order of the two albums.

11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

That's the British version of the title! :D

mikrt17 likes this.
  12. Bob F

But that was the release order on the original Capitol two-fer 12-inch LP. In fact, the probable reason that the EMI/MFP CD sounds so good is that it used a dub of the master tape for this 1955 LP (W 587) which reissued Sinatra's first two Capitol (10-inch) albums in that order:

Sinatra-Swing-Easy+SFYL-LP.jpg

P.S. Just to keep on the thread topic, I really hope MoFi gets around to this one (from the original tapes, not the ones that were messed with in the '60s). It's the album that got me hooked on Sinatra's music.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  13. DJ WILBUR

that should be the ONLY thing wrong with this one and we'll all be thrilled...haha...i caught that typo but decided NOT to fix it...i think "snogs" is such a great word...:D

14. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

heh. me too.

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd be totally shocked if they didn't - for this title, and also the other mono only Sinatra/Capitol albums where processed mono copies were made later by Capitol.

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! "Point of No Return" will FINALLY get it's just reward. (Frequent posters here will remember that has been a plea of mine for ages)! And Dino's "This Time I'm Swingin'!" was like a upper cut to the left. I did NOT see that one coming! :hugs:I just played that one last night in mono!

17. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Now this is some exciting news. My Bank Manager is certainly going to be pleased when I pop in to see him for a loan.

18. Bob F

The post link no longer works (thread moved?) [MOD: New link here], but here's the ad copy and images from Music Direct's 2013 catalog:

Music-Direct-Sinatra-3.jpg
    Frank Sinatra's Capitol albums remain ageless statements of splendid beauty, unparalleled emotion, and exacting performance standards. Mobile Fidelity is honored to reissue eight of these bellweather works on definitive-sounding 180g LPs and hybrid SACDs that bring to fore the music, intimacy, and passion like never before. Starting with 1957's balladic torch set Where are You?, the romantically desolate No One Cares, and 1961's Sinatra's Swingin' Session—the fastest, hardest-swinging set of his career—this is a series no music lover should go without.

Music-Direct-Sinatra-1.jpg
    Music-Direct-Sinatra-2.jpg

19. Bob F

Larger album images from MusicDirect's new catalog:

Music-Direct-Sinatra-4.jpg

paulmock likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It's true, Point Of No Return is long overdue for the MOFI treatment. What was the reason it was not in the box set? I seem to remember there was something about the masters. Maybe they were missing?

21. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I wonder if Come Fly with Me on SACD will include both the mono and stereo versions?

22. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

That would be awesome.

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It made it as far as having test pressings made.

24. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Lot's to be excited about with 8 Sinatra MFSL titles in 2013. I'll reserve the funds. Ouch...

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Have you ever heard one or possibly do you own one? Your "ear" might give us an idea of what we may be in for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.