Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this Bob. I love the way MoFi picks out a color from within the album cover artwork to use for it's banding at the top of the album. (For example on "Wee Small Hours" it's the color of Mr. S's tie, on "Where Are You?" it's the green from the stripes on his shirt, and "Point of No Return" is my favorite using the color of his raincoat.) Art-wise, these new LP's will have it all over the ones in the Silver Box.

Bob F likes this.
  2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Honestly - When did they ever do this? Never. It won't happen.

3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

With all these MoFi SACD releases, I'm heading toward my own "fiscal cliff" :help:

Driver 8 likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm sure there will be plenty of time in between releases.

5. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Interesting how they used the original I think cover for Songs for Swingin Lovers. I think Franks eyes look weird in that one.

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I hope you're right because I don't want to miss out on these but my finances could only cope with them being spread out over a period of time.

7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Did I say MFSL had done that before?

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Never say never: I seem to remember someone saying MFSL would never release another Sinatra Capitol album. :)

However, in this case, I agree. They're doing mono only for WHERE ARE YOU?, so I think it's unlikely we'll see a combined mono/stereo SACD for any other titles. I'll be extremely happy to get a mono COME FLY WITH ME.

9. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I do seem to remember that, which is why I'm so thrilled about 8 MFSL Capitol releases!!!

wondering if the Reprise Deluxe editions on Concord will continue...do they have as vigorous a release schedule on Sinatra as MFSL does ? Anyone know?

10. Bob F

Same here, Paul. At first glance, I disliked the purple banner on WEE SMALL HOURS, but it's grown on me. I realize Frank's tie is the major contrasting color on the album cover, and the banner stands out nicely. MusicDirect picked that one for a back cover grouping in the catalog:

MFSL-Sinatra-WSH.jpg

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I noticed that MoFi is claiming only eight titles so far and not ten. They don't seem to be counting Nice 'n Easy and Only The Lonely. I hope that mean those titles are ripe for rerelease. I'd love to have 'em on SACD!

apileocole, Bob F and scotpagel like this.
  12. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing. How easy it would be for them to just go back and re-release Nice 'n Easy and Only The Lonely on SACD. I have these on vinyl and CD but would buy them again to get the SACD because I plan to get all of the new Capitol titles in SACD this time. Has MoFi ever re-released a title so soon? Looking at the Music Direct catalog if I read right it has Chicago 17 coming out but it just came out on CD only and not vinyl or SACD. Maybe its a mistake and I don't have the catalog in front of me.

13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Their gold CD of Songs for Swingin' Lovers came out in 1990 and is being rereleased next year. So, hopefully not as long a wait for SACDs of NnE and OTL.

14. Bob F

I don't think we'll be seeing ONLY THE LONELY or NICE 'N' EASY on SACD any time soon. They're shown as "Also Available" on an interior page of the MD catalog (i.e. the Gold CD and LP versions from 2008), along with the half-dozen Reprise LPs MoFi has produced in the past few years.

Remember that this is the 2013 catalog. They need to save something for 2014 (and Sinatra's birthday centennial in 2015). I hope that includes other Capitol titles, but it will be awhile. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the eight that have been announced.

15. Bob F

August 1990.

16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Which Sinatra album has the song It Was A Very Good Year?

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw that and amended my post. Hopefully we won't need to wait until 2031 for SACDs of Nice 'n Easy and Only the Lonely!

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

September Of My Years, a Reprise album from 1965.

19. Bob F

Maybe not. For the three upcoming vinyl issues, Amazon.com now states: "A release date has not yet been set for this title."

(That may just relate to availability from Amazon. MusicDirect is still showing November 2012.)

20. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I would tend to trust Music Direct on a release date over Amazon's---especially concerning MoFi releases. If these are anything like the MoFi Gold CD's, they will kick serious butt.

21. Bob F

I find it hard to trust MusicDirect's release dates—especially concerning MoFi releases!

The two previous MoFi Gold CDs you mention were originally announced together with street dates of June 2008. I placed my orders in May. Month after month, the dates slipped. NICE 'N' EASY finally shipped the last week of September. ONLY THE LONLEY didn't arrive until mid-November (reportedly due to a "snafu with the artwork"). And, because they were released separately months apart, I wound up paying double shipping on my original combined order. :(

[Added:] On top of all that, they wound up not being NUMBERED limited editions as advertised. When all was said and done, I'd have been better off waiting to buy those two Gold CDs from Amazon Prime, where I don't pay for shipping.

22. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Yes I agree finally this could be the chance to put things right I just hope that the people at MFSL read these forums and if they get it right they will have huge sales on their hands

23. Bob F

Speaking of the 2008 Gold CDs from MFSL, I'm reminded of the printing errors on both issues. I hope they get the recording dates right on these new SACD releases.

24. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Sorry Bob, it sounds as if you've had a few bad experiences with Music Direct. I would hate being double charged for shipping. Anyways, all I meant was that their release dates are probably more accurate than Amazons. I sincerely hope these 3 MoFi SACD's won't be delayed at all!

25. Bob F

Hi Chris, I wouldn't call it a "bad experience." The products were superb, as far as audio quality goes.

I'm just cautioning that MoFi and MusicDirect often miss their advertised release dates. The 3 new Sinatra SACDs have already slipped a month on MusicDirect's website. (Two months, if you count Nancy Sinatra's unofficial announcement in the thread opener.) I hope they're out before Christmas, but it wouldn't be the first time MoFi has disappointed timewise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.