Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #42)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am looking forward to start listening to my Tacchino LPs soon :)

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

:evil:

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I was listening to this a while ago

[​IMG]

I had this disc for a while but never seriously listened to it till now. It is beautifully recorded and I liked it but I have no other point of reference for these works. Anyone has heard this, what do you think?

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

That's what's strange: The recording list includes not only the Moscow Chamber Orch, but also the Bath Festivel Orch. East meets West at Abbey Road.

5. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Strange how the Paul Crossley CBS/Sony Poulenc set of solo piano works has not been mentioned at all.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Classiholic Buddies out there!

Any crazy to hard to pass up deals for Classical Music out there today thru Cyber Monday?
    Share the wealth with your buds here!:righton:

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The notes for my ASMF disc state that it was written for a double string orchestra, although the Academy seems to have managed on its own.

Now listening to Dorati conduct Haydn - Symphonies 54-56 - a perfect morning pick-me-up.

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Happy Thanksgiving!

9. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

I don't usually find Hamelin all that interesting but I find these performances lively and fun (I haven't heard his other Haydn discs, however).

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nice nick BTW, are you an Orson Welles fan?

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Thanksgiving Poltergeist Hotline? You say your stress and anxiety has distributed throughout the house and your toilet and refrigerator died the day before Thanksgiving, just as you are preparing your theoretically guilt-free [but in fact loaded with all sorts of moral contradictions] Pecan Loaf? I see. Can we offer you a refrigerator that works and smells better for $400?"

So, it's a last minute trip to a second-hand store in Reedley*, where everything in the media section is 50% off. Gail and I check out the refrigerator, smells okay, is in better shape than our now dead refigerator. I wander off to the CDs. 50¢ a pop. The score? Four Classical discs of music I'll want to hear repeatedly. One of which—GOES TO THE FIRST PERSON TO PM ME WHO AIN'T GOT IT ALREADY. Which I suspect is everyone here but Stuart.

In any case, the Giveaway/pay it back is for the magnificent [and decently remastered ] The Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli, featuring the first position brass players [sounds like baseball, eh?] from the hotshot American Orchestras of Philadelphia, Cleveland and Chicago. Big league stuff. Oh, there's also some stuff from a E. Bower Pigs session involving similar material. The Gabrieli brass record happens to be a duplicate.

Oh yeah, other stuff. There's Rostropovich's EMI set of Bach's cello suites. I remember liking it when it first came out. And there's a Sealed copy of Steve Cleobury leading the King's College Choir in Thomas Tallis' cosmic Spem in Alium.

Just so you know, there was also the Bill Evans Trio "Waltz for Debby", Rod Stewart Never a Dull Moment and Pat Metheny Works II on CD and a early stereo LP of Tony Bennett I Wanna Be Around with little wear that set me back 75¢. Total cost? $4.55.

Happy Thanksgiving and please—don't stress over it.

Up next? The Toilet! :goodie::pineapple::yikes:

* I know, I know—where the hell is Reedley? Next Question?

drh likes this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great story Robin and nice score with these cds!
    I believe that I have the Gabrieli on LP, is this the one that was recorded in St. Mark in Venice? It really is a great sounding LP.

Robin L likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Nope, this one:

[​IMG]

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is the one that I have

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353590776.767816.jpg

If it's not the same then I would not mind taking advantage of your generosity.

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have it and really like it. I have just about everything Hamelin has recorded on Hyperion. The more I listen to Hamelin the more I realize how much sense his approach to various composers makes total sense.

5-String likes this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Sure 'nuff.

WE HAVE A Winner!

5-String likes this.
  17. John S

John S Forum Resident

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    And to our friends both in and outside the US,
    Happy Saint Cecilia's Day to all!

Now playing:
    CD2
    Purcell
    Hail! Bright Cecilia
    Ode for St. Cecilia's Day 1692
    Taverner Consort, Choir & Players
    Andrew Parrott
    [​IMG]

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Oh, I forgot that St Cecilia day is today, gonna have to listen to some Purcell of Handel

Robin L likes this.
  19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Great concert tonight in Athens, during the orchestra's 3 day residency:

The first one: Brahms 2nd piano concerto with Nelson Freire and Shostakovich' 10th symphony, all with the St Petersburg Philharmonic (ex Mravinsky's Leningrad PO) under Temirkanov.

Alex

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nice!

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes—I have that title too.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Back when I started my project, I did a bit of scouting around among the available canned "fill in the blanks" systems, and all I kept getting was "various artists." Not terribly useful. To this day, a surprising number of the off-the-beaten-path CDs I buy come up as "not in the accurate rip database" when I apply EAC to them. As it happens, the approach I've taken may be best for me anyhow, as, having passed through most of my CDs (would be all if I hadn't repeatedly gone on mini-buying-binges for cheap boxed sets :rolleyes:), I'm integrating dubs of my more beloved 78s and LPs into the same system. Eventually those may even come to dominate the proceedings.

I actually tried Media Monkey at first, but it kept insisting that I go through some sort of cumbersome and often ineffectual process to update its library when I added new material to the drive, so once I discovered the "play folder" option in WinAmp I abandoned it.

23. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

You've convinced me to finally check that one out; I've read mixed opinions here on Hamelin, but his performance of the Copland and Villa-Lobos I posted on here last month and your endorsement of his Haydn have tipped the scales in my favour!

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

:laughup::biglaugh:

And I'm sure that when you've solved the second problem, you'll be flushed with success.

Er, sorry.

Same wishes to you and to all here!

Robin L likes this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah I listened to it again this morning and I liked it, in addition to nice playing the piano is very well recorded which make this set even more enjoyable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.