Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Below the line was reserved for the bass EQ, above the line for the treble EQ (meaning usually 5k). I am very sure the actual released LP had much more EQ done to it than the acetate. Probably filtered at 50 and a boost around 150.. Never saw the tapes so can't say for sure. (Mono version I'm speaking of).

2. Steve Hoffman

No such thing as 1/2 db anything in those daze, boys..

McLover likes this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Since we're talking about that acetate: Any ideas as to what the bottom right writing may indicate on the label? I thought it may indicate either 1.) who cut the disc; or 2.) the intended recipient of the disc.

?????
    MysteryScript.jpg

4. Steve Hoffman

Looks like two sets of initials to me.

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Can anyone help me locate a mint copy of the original Walsh CD of CFWM? I bought a used Concepts box earlier this year, and most titles were still sealed. I finally opened my CFWM last week and listened to it a few times. Today, somehow, my 14-month-old daughter got a hold of the disc and decided to vigorously rub it on the floor, with the play-side down. It's pretty much wrecked. For 20 years it remained sealed and in mint shape, until it crossed paths with my little girl!

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Is brand new okay? Here: http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000089EO

(Or: http://amazon.com/dp/B0000089EO from the US, but price from the UK store is better even with shipping.)

That *is* the original '87 Walsh version. It never went out of print in the UK.

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Perfect! Thanks! I'll deduct the expense from my daughter's college fund! :)

8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Ordered CFWM along with the MFP version of Swing Easy/SFYL. Thanks for the assist, Bob!

9. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

My 2009 Capitol remaster of Come Fly With Me is mono with the correct jacket with no STEREO designation anywhere. I do like the sound. It does tell me it is a High Fidelity Recording. W920 .

10. Steve Hoffman

Digital cutting, ain't it?

11. MLutthans

Yep, I'm pretty sure that they recalled the LPs because the first batch was mono LPs with all the stereo accoutrements. It was then re-shipped with the mono jackets, labels, etc. You can see the first-batch label here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1958_-_Come_Fly_with_Me.html .....clearly labeled as "STEREO." Decent mastering, though. Not sure if it's digital or analog.

12. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thank you for all the mono samples, Matt. Especially the acetate, which was a real treat! Playing them all back to back really accentuates the full extent of the reverb. Its a pity that both the mono and the stereo versions are flawed in such different ways.

13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Matt you are da bomb. You and Bob seem to have an endless supply of Sinatra info. Surprisingly I got into Sinatra late in life. At least not too late.

14. MLutthans

Just for the record: I ain't in the same league as Bob, and I mean that as a compliment for Bob, but thanks for the kind words notwithstanding. :)

Matt

15. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Matt, that was nice work you did on that page. One thing I noticed about the Bob Norberg remaster is how uneven Frank Sinatra's voice is between channels. It's almost wavering.

16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

You mean like the 120Hz hum present on MFSL Beatles box set? Ooops Martin beat me to it!

17. MLutthans

That may be, but why is it just on that one song, if (assumedly) the entire side was cut from a continuously-running analog master tape, and no other editions (that I've found) of that same LP side have that same hum? Something's odd there, no?

18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I wish I had more insight but will just have to go with your statement:

19. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Interesting about the distortion on the stereo versions. I noticed it, but thought I had a damaged copy. I'll have to pick up a mono copy, despite the heavy echo. It's a shame, because this is one of my top 5 Frank albums.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

'84 UK jumpiness sounds like tape dropouts to this ear. Love the tonality as a rule. The mono mix is too reverbed to my ear and sounds very distant. The Mobile Fidelity LP's hum is a mite bit intrusive. Suspect it is in the 120 hertz region. On LP, give the '84 UK Alan Dell a slight edge. On CD, Walsh is best to my ear. Both superb sounding and a close horse race sonically.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

What this LP really needs is a less reverbed mono mix. With a less hard sound on top.

22. rangerjohn

That would be the perfect compromise between the mixes.

23. Steve Hoffman

Not possible.

24. rangerjohn

Just talking out of my a**, as usual, but what about a doctored folddown of the Walsh mix?

25. Steve Hoffman

That would really suck. You understand the "close mike mono/far mike stereo" thing, right?