Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #42)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

One of my favorite Resurrections, to be sure, but I also love Klemperer's version recorded with the Philharmonia.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I guess it's hard to top the original.

3. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

:laugh:

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

On the old site you could access every thread and post since the beginning of the Classical Music Corner began by you in 2008. Now all that valuable experience, knowledge, and resource is lost. :cry:

5. George P

I can't imagine Rudy would let that happen. I think it's a problem with the Search Engine. Or something he'll get to later, perhaps. Have you messaged him?

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

John, it wasn't too intuitive, but I've just discovered that We Archived are immediately accessible via that Classical Corner button that precedes the thread title.

EDIT: Ooops, that strange thing behaves as a button only on the thread list, not within the opened classical thread. Odd...

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yeah, I just used the general "search" feature to hunt down some names I knew I'd posted in earlier iterations of the thread, and sure enough the threads came right up. Clicking on the "continued from here" link at the beginning of the present thread, however, takes you to the forum table of contents. Must be a glitch of some sort; I'm sure it will be sorted out if we alert the powers that be.

8. George P

This link should give you what you want: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/?prefix_id=1

John S likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

I was going to send him a message, but I can't figure out how to do it. Has he (understandably!) disabled PM functionality for himself, or is there some trick to it that I haven't figured out yet?

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have around twelve Resurrection's and that one has gone to the bottom of the pile. Sorry dude.

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Tell you what, I am moving in a few days and this disc is buried. I can live without it. I will PM you when I get it out. I will offer it as a Classical Thread Appreciation disc only for 5-String.

13. George P

What a guy!

Congrats to 5 String!

14. George P

If you send me whatever PM you want to send him, I'll forward it to him, as I have an ongoing conversation I think I could send it.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Frank, what can I say, that is an incredible gesture! No words can express my thanks!:)

16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Cortot Outta Compton has a nice ring to it for a new band.
    Glad your digging the set, was wondering if you were going to grab it.

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That's a setting you can untick; alternatively you can just ask it to rescan various drives or folders when you want it to update the library. Very useful IMO as you can have your library reside in more than one place.

18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying CD 1 from this set: Chopin PC 1 and 2. This set arrived today, along with the Cortot set I mentioned earlier and also the Roge Poulenc set.

19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That is one of my favorite recordings, and was one of my very first classical CD purchases.

Several years ago early in the evening I was out for a drive with my brother, on this large estate in my hometown; we were trespassing, but not doing any harm. I had the disc in the car CD player, and we were playing "Appalachian Spring." As we drove slowly around the final bend, we saw through the tall grass a deer, which appeared to have hurt itself very badly, possibly trying to leap a tall, spiked fence. As the music entered the final movement, and then that very memorable phrase of the two ascending chords followed by the four descending chords, the deer lay down in the grass, in my mind to die . . . We didn't want to get out, and of course there was nothing we would do anyway. But that image has lingered with me and is indelibly associated with the music now, which seemed perfectly suited.

I do believe "Appalachian Spring" is the greatest composed work of music ever by an American.

5-String likes this.
  20. George P

Great story, thanks for sharing that.

I also have a vivid memory of walking through Central Park at dusk about 5 years ago, listening to Richter's Schubert (Moments Musicaux No. 6) and feeling like the entire world was in sync for those 11 minutes and 48 seconds.

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The Klemperer is tremendous! Beautiful! Have no fear. :)

Walter is outstanding as well.

22. George P

:goodie: :goodie:

23. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I believe it . . . Schubert especially, as a Romantic, is fitting for a walk in the outdoors. As much as I enjoy listening at home, there is often a special resonance to an musical experience had elsewhere, or with others, or related to a specific occasion.

By the way I heard a Richter performance of Bach's "Italian Concerto" on the radio today (can't remember, but I think the announcer may have said it was from 1975) that sounded wonderful. I know you like Richter but I think I remember your once saying it wasn't his Bach you really liked. Have you heard this?

:cheers:

24. George P

I have heard his later recording from the early nineties, it's in The Master series. His late Bach is beautifully serene. Trovar lists another Italian Concerto in 1948, but none in 1975. But then, they aren't up to date anyway. I certainly enjoy Richter's Bach, I just don't go out of my way to collect it in the way that I have collected his Schubert, Schumann, Debussy, Beethoven, Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff.

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I think those are the composers I'd associated with him as well, in particular Schubert, Beethoven, Prokofiev, and Rachmaninoff. His Debussy and Schumann I know less of. Come to think of it I believe I've heard some of his Schumann, but perhaps none of the Debussy.

I may have not heard clearly the announcement regarding this Bach performance. I think it was from a live recording, but then again I was in my truck, with its sound system that would get me banned or at least laughed at on SHTV if anyone ever saw it. (It was a nice late summer though, borrowing my brother's car with its working CD player. :)) Here's the radio station's info on the recording -- not much help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.