Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #42)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

From Rudy:

John S likes this.
  2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Used too. As I recall, he took too much notice of a supposed diminuendo on the finale's final note on the auto raph that could have been an note of emphasis. But as I recall, he split the first movement like the rest. And truth to tell, I did not sense that Solti 'got' Schubert's Ninth.

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Welcome Goldwax :)

goldwax likes this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Apparently the Tallis Scholars have a best seller.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/16/fifty-shades-of-grey-tallis

I wonder if the readers think an 'r' was left out of the first word in the title of the work.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Spam in Aluminum? Heavens forfend! Tisk! Harrumph! U.S.W.

Speaking of S & M, I interviewed Peter Phillips, musical director of the Tallis Scholars on the subject of the roiling cognitive dissonance twixt the heavenly odes to Mary and other choral delights of the Renaissance with the backdrop of what my folk call "The Burning Times." The learned Mr. Philips pointed out that he was concerned with music, not religion, and that he is concerned with making previously unpublished scores by these wonderful composers of the era available in performable texts and to also realizing these works in performance and recording. Very interesting response.

6. John S

John S Forum Resident

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You are off and running. Just don't let it get to the point of obsession like some of us around here.....like me. :D

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks, George, for being our Mercury!

9. George P

Her Bach set on EMI (and her Chopin and Scarlatti on the same label) is excellent! Why hasn't EMI done a box for her, I wonder?

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Am I the only one who had no idea what "Fifty Shades of Grey" is ?:hide:
    I looked it up and it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea but the cd certainly contains some tasty samples.

11. john greenwood

I must admit - no one has mentioned it on the "What are You Reading Now" thread.

12. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

That Schubert 9th Sym. finale's final note (Solti -Decca) you speak of, on its first relelase - was also noted and considered by at least one critic as a premature 'turn down' by the sound engineers. Must get out my copy of the latest released edition of it and check that final note myself. Whether it is still there or corrected in some way.

13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this new (to me) CD.

After this one, I will have just 30 CDs left before catching up on my buying. Well, except for the two monster boxes that arrived yesterday, which add another 76 CDs to the pile. No matter, I am still happy that I am doing what I can to get caught up. It's been fun listening to new CD after new CD. I have been pretty strict too, not listening to anything except new stuff I haven't heard yet.

14. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Perhaps I am a bit funny but I find where vocal work is required in a Mahler work, the individual tone, plus the quality and performance of singers, has also quite a strong bearing -besides the conductor's own contributions : whether I like the overall performance. What about Mahler's great Das Klagende Lied? A important and desireable big work for voices/orchestra ,by any stretch of the imagination. I have 14 Das Lied Von der Erde's... and I would not say the Reiner - although exceptional- clearly reigns supreme. Ferrier's contributions on the Decca /Walter Das Lied von der Erde are heart -stopping : when listening and knowing she herself knew -at that time, she was dying , as she sang those extra meaningful "farewell to life" words

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Oh yeah, have Two copies of the first US release on London. What really kills me in that box is "Ich Bin Der Welt Abhanden Gekommen." Of course, Ferrier has a special place in this work. What I am speaking about here is very much, to these ears, what Carlos Keilber's rendition of Beethoven's 5th is to so many—a lot of dead wood cleared, a lot of dynamics and tempo relations back in their proper places, restoring the work's rhetoric and architecture. I've got a real soft spot for Bruno Walter's final traversal for Columbia. And Fritz Wunderlich is all that for Klemperer and the Philharmonia Orchestra. But the Reiner recording has me re-evaluating Reiner as a Mahler conductor.

16. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying CD 2 from the above set! Since this set proceeds more or less chronologically, these are his Victor acoustic recordings from 1923. Anyone who thinks that Cortot had weak technique need only hear his acoustic recordings (sounding better than ever in this recent incarnation) to realize just how well this guy knew his way around a piano.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Wonderful find at Amvets—a little played, mono copy of Bruno Walter leading the L.A. version of the "Columbia Symphony Orchestra" In Bruckner's Ninth. After a fairly radical cleaning job [see my thread on Viva towels and record cleaning, below] the LP has little surface noise and no peak distortion. Remarkable record, glad to had retrieved it from certain doom. This is not my copy, but this is what the cover looks like, save that mine has no shrink and is split on top:
    [​IMG]

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...c-eraser™-of-lp-cleaning.302664/#post-8284722

18. john greenwood

Somehow, I bet that sounds better than my Odyssey CD of that recording.

19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I learnt the work exactly from a mono LP as above. One of the best Bruckner 9ths on record.

20. George P

Literally. ;)

21. George P

My pleasure! :wave:

22. George P

I hear ya! Welcome to the Classical Music Corner! :wave:

23. George P

His third is awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Good to know, as Boehm is my only Schubert 9th (I think.) I have the DG set.

24. George P

I have started our next installment of this thread and will as a Gort to lock this one.

Please continue here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.