Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #43)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued From Here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 42 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best! :righton:

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Hi there! :wave:

3. George P

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nice find Robin! I have a copy of this (mono Bruckner) but have not listened to it yet.

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Let's do Olympic Games devoted to catching up on our buying. With quarter and semi-finals. The one with ZERO unlistened CD's (AND zero placed orders) wins. Stuart (and me) may be allowed to play several CD's on several systems simultaneously. :D

(In addition we can organize a championship devoted to re-listening to all CD's played only once.)

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The Mercury Living Presence boxed set came out in May, if I am not mistaken, and it is already OOP on Amazon? The prices from the third party sellers went up already but ArchivMusic has some copies left I believe.
    I am thinking of getting a copy for myself before it is too late.

7. George P

:laugh:

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

As someone with a high likelihood of finishing dead last in this contest, may I offer my congratulations now to the eventual winner. :)

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Okay, I lose! :goodie:

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Amazing how popular Spewing In Aluminum has become! :laugh:
    I have had this Award Winning recording for a few years now and love!

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have a few versions of this Tallis' work.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Gave a listen to Boult in the Schubert "Great C Major" and first three Bach B'burgs tonight courtesy of the "Bach to Wagner" Boult box that arrived in yesterday's mail. Nice all 'round, although Bach by full modern orchestra certainly takes some adjustment by ears now accustomed to little period groups. We do a good bit of EMI bashing around here, but the recording quality of the Bach in particular was very nice.

I need to get out my older Boult recording of the Schubert with the BBC SO on 78s for comparison.

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have several versions as well, although oddly, not that one. I do have the Tallis Scholars singing Josquin and Palestrina.

14. George P

Me too. Glorious, serene stuff.

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now listening to Britten's Christmas classics which arrived today from Grooves-Inc. A generous super budget CD packed with 80 minutes of choral works.

[​IMG]

16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have this Linn recording by Magnificat and it's beautiful stuff.

[​IMG]

17. George P

[​IMG]

Using Youngrok Lee's excellent discography, I think I have found all of the performances that are new to CD (or at least not in his discography) from the above set. Here's what I got:

CD 08 - 1930 – Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody 11
    CD 16 – 1937 – Schumann – Des Abends
    CD 23 – 1950 – Chopin - Mazurkas 2 and 41
    CD 25 – 1952 – Schubert - Litanei
    CD 25 – 1953 – Liszt - Hungarian Rhapsody 11
    CD 26 – 1953 – Debussy – Children’s Corner
    CD 26 – 1953 – Schumann – Symphonic Variations
    CD 27 – 1953 – Schumann – Kreisleriana (accidentally issued on GPOTTC)
    CD 27 – 1953 – Chopin - Largo from Piano Sonata 3
    CD 28 – 1957 – Chopin – Preludes and Ballades
    CD 38 – 40 – 1958-1959 Beethoven Sonatas (Ops. 13, 27/2, 57, 79, 81a, 90) and Commentary

18. George P

Yes, only these. The playing is poor, as he didn't have much technique left by then. He supposedly recorded all 32 sonatas, but again, the playing is pretty bad, so we only get three CDs worth (with commentary in French.)

Can you remove the 1953 Carnaval and Kinderszenen from your quote? That was a mistake, as they are on Naxos Historical.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Wish I could, but I cannot edit my post anymore....

20. George P

That's such a frustrating rule, isn't it? Can you ask a Gort to delete it please? If you click on the number (#18)it will give you a permalink that you can give them. Thanks.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Boult is what I'd call lackadaisical in the Great C Major. That's It, I'm checking out Goodman right now.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah, I know! I 'll contact a gort but the number is #17 right? The quote that is in my post.

23. George P

Cleverly, they got it already. I asked them to delete mine and they must have got yours as well.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It a shame though that Cortot's Beethoven is not any good, I was very excited when I saw the three discs with the sonatas as part of the box set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.