Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure 'Swingin' Session!!!' is also stereo ( & I'd be most disappointed if it wasn't).
    (edit: I see you just meant the five imminent releases)

I would dearly love to pre-order all of the new Capitol issues on vinyl but need to be careful with the cost. Wiser for me to wait until a couple of reviews appear, in case one or two of them have problems. If they all turn out as good the MSFL mono 'Only the Lonely' then I'll take the hit buy the lot!

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

They're linked from the Music Direct website. Might as well post the other five Capitol titles (two old, three expected soon)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bob F

Yep. Let's hope they're not final, and someone from MoFi reads this forum. :rolleyes:

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Hmmm....just pulled out Ye Olde Rainbowe Labele pressing from 1962, and the front cover only lists 11 songs, just as in the MFSL cover you posted above! I had never noticed that before.....

5. Bob F

It's been discussed before. (I don't remember if here or at the SFF.) The Walsh and Norberg CD covers show only 11 tracks. However, the discs in the UK 21-CD box and the US 14-CD "budget" box have covers which show all 12 tracks. I can't say if those were doctored, or if the original LP was wrong? I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall it being demonstrated that the original cover was corrected at some point in time.

However, the errors on A SWINGIN' AFFAIR, and the placement of the Gordon Jenkins credit on WHERE ARE YOU? (as discussed earlier in this thread), are most certainly not from the original LP issues.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

An assortment of LP cover variations for POINT OF NO RETURN:

My D5 (original issue?) stereo LP, SW 1676:
    Mine.jpg

12-song listing, also on some (original issue?) rainbow pressings, as visible on Ebay:
    12-song.jpg

10-song listing from the SM series reissue:
    10-song.jpg

7. Bob F

Yes, of course, but I wouldn't count on anything being "imminent" about the five newest releases. We're still waiting for the three previous releases (originally announced for October) to ship.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

9. Bob F

That was somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek wish. I'm sure someone from MFSL and/or MD is reading this thread. ;)

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Oh this is very good news indeed!

11. aoxomoxoa

I dont care if the cover art is correct, as long as the right tapes were used.
    (If you bother them about it it may hold up release dates).

12. Bob F

With 3-6 month lead times from when these are offered for pre-order sales, I don't see how the release dates could be held up any more. Of course, the cover art means nothing to me compared to the sound quality. But for the premium prices MFSL demands, I don't see why the packaging can't be just as perfectly "remastered" as the contents. Anything less is inexcusable.

13. aoxomoxoa

You make a good point. I guess if they are going to do it., may as well do it right!

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Curious why the LP versions of the five new titles all say "Usually ships in 4 - 6 weeks." We don't believe you, Music Direct!!!

15. Bob F

Calling all "Where's Waldo?" fans! Sometimes something hides in plain sight. There's another difference in these covers that may have gone unnoticed...

Look carefully at the titles "FRANK SINATRA" and "POINT OF NO RETURN" on the topmost cover (the one with 11 tracks listed). Now compare to the bottom two covers (with 12 and 10 tracks listed). Do you see it?

P.S. I just found the SFF thread where all this was revealed once upon a time: Sleeve cover variations. (As usual, I'm the unwanted "Guest" in that discussion.)

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Title and artist are reversed. Also, title is white in one and the others have it in color. What do I win? :)

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Love them big album covers! THANKS, BOB!

Jeez, that cover on "No One Cares" is so hi-def I feel like I'm the bartender in the room with Mr. S!!!

18. Bob F

A job in the art department at MoFi, I hope. :)

19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

And I would take that job, too!

20. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Both my copies of Point Of No Return have the 11 song listing, just like the MFSL cover. The mono copy is N3 D4, stereo is D3 D3, both with rainbow labels. I was under the assumption that the original style cover was the one omitting "As Time Goes By", and the mistake was corrected on later versions.

21. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Sorry to say it, but this cover is bogus IMO. I hope the final Mofi version features the original 50s style cover (without the song listing up top).

22. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Nice to see they are using the original cover for 'Songs For Swinging Lovers' with FS looking away from the couple.

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Lied to again. :shake:

24. aoxomoxoa

Well, I certainly didnt lie. What do you mean?

25. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

On those Point of No Return originals, the final two lines of songs are in a different order as well.

Switching F.S. to the top and making the text stand out more on the revised cover seems like it was probably a definite decision rather than just a random change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.