Any Butthole Surfers fans or collectors on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cake, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

My friend told me that at a family gathering he was asked by his Top 40 loving cousin who his favorite bands were, he replied "I'm really into Lou Reed, The Stooges and the Butthole Surfers right now"

"The Butthole Surface? What?" o_O

Needless to say, she thought he was a bit weird after that exchange.

2. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

3. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not newspapers, but other, more mainstream, visual media : when Rodd (or was it Todd?) Flanders wore a B-Hole Surfers shirt on 'The Simpsons' the animators were very careful to have it creased conveniently enough that you couldn't clearly read what it said. Unless, you know, you already were familiar with the band's name.

5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Dino likes this.
  6. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

I was there as well. Not their best show, but Cake took me backstage to meet them and they were super friendly. ; )

Cake likes this.
  7. Cake

Yeah, that was a nice drive and well worth it! Mr. Peppermint was also there, but I didn't get to meet him. Oh, well...

Did I ever say that The Butthole Surfers Rule??? Well, they do! Thanks to everyone that has responded so far!

8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Now that I think about it, it was indeed "BH Surfers" and not "B-Hole Surfers" that was used in the paper here as well.

9. Cake

Here is a clip from that David Letterman Show appearance and David DOES say "Butthole Surfers!" Watch!

Scroller likes this.
  10. ronankeane

ronankeane Forum Resident

I’m a big fan of their Touch & Go albums. Although there are tracks I could live without (Kuntz, Moving To Florida, others) I still consider them one of the best bands of the 80s.

I remember reading an interview once where Gibby mentioned some classic rock song (might have been Zeppelin) and how, just before the guitar solo, you get a shiver down the spine in anticipation. I may be remembering that wrong but the point is: I get the same shivers from listening to the Buttholes.

11. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to get to hang out with them for about an hour after a show in Phoenix, super cool guys and funny as heck. The first question I asked them is "Where do you get those films??" Gibby and Paul both answered at the same time..."Public Television!"

12. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Now I have a new grail LP to find!

14. Cake

Yeah, the Buttholes are very cool guys! Have hung with them many times as well as seen them live.

Two of my favorite Butthole Surfers shows took place at the famous Variety Arts Center in downtown Los Angeles back on both April 3, 1987 and November 11, 1987. I can't believe how long ago those shows were, but they are completely in-grained in my memory and will be forever and ever! They did an incredible cover of Grand Funk Railroad's Paranoid and played tons of unreleased songs (at the time!). So glad that I can cherish those memories forever since I had my cassettes transferred to dvd-audio! Ahh, Heaven!

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You mean that they sued him for ownership of their own music and won? I don't follow.

16. duse

duse Senior Member

I spent many long nights in college with the cassette of Rembrandt Pussyhorse. I still hear Perry to this day and have mini-flashbacks and still get chills up my spine. Great record to listen to on headphones. I picked up the cd many years later. I wanted to make a t shirt for my son with the insert of the muscular woman in the bikini bottom, but my wife vetoed it. That is still my favorite version of American Woman, ever. I hear Lenny Kravitz's version and just smile to myself how bad it is in comparison.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

This thread reminded me that I think I still have some of those Chewin George Lucas' Chocolate Brown Vinyl 10"' that came in the sealed Silver Mylar Bag w the Bug on the front. I'll have to see if I can find those and list 1 or 2 on the Classifieds to see if anyone is interested. Stay tuned!

18. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

You may want to read up on the situation.

Steve Albini said it best:

"There is a thing that people do when a band is crap, but friends. The people, they say, 'They're really great guys...'

Todd Trainer, a genius, once said, 'I wish someone would say,''what *******! But what a great band!''

I'm sorry, that won't be me. The Butthole Surfers are world-class ****-heels, and I vote crap.

The Buttholes were an awe-inspiring and inspirational band in their early period, because they used punk ingenuity and genuine perversity to create a spectacle of themselves. A dazzling human spectacle. This period was short.

Along the way they started treating everyone around them like ****, taking absurd advantage of every situation, and gradually deteriorating into a parody of themselves as a wing of the conventional cut-throat showbusiness world.

Then they started making *******, half-***** music, and covered by playing movies behind themselves and firing strobe lights at the audience. They squandered the respect they had been awarded and made enemies of friends.

This culminated in the retarded war they waged against Touch and Go, the only label to ever be genuinely straight with them and pay them regularly.

They will roast in a particularly oily corner of Hell.

I think King is a genuine fan, and he has individually helped-out some bands I admire, but he played his part in every ****-heel thing the Buttholes did to anyone, and that means he is one of them.

So **** the Butthole Surfers."

19. bwking0

bwking0 Forum Resident

Gotta chime in when you cut and paste from a commentator on the Prindle review page. Not sure how they are so horrible for wanting their catalog back after 25 years.
    From Wikipedia:
    Dispute with Butthole Surfers

Their approach to contracts was challenged in a court case started in 1999 by the Butthole Surfers, who purported that Touch and Go was not marketing its catalog effectively. The band argued that because its contract with T&G was of an unspecified duration, the contract could be terminated. Touch and Go argued that according to existing US copyright law, it controlled the copyright to the band's recordings for a minimum of 35 years, based on sec. 203 of the Copyright Act of 1976.
    The US Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit ruled in favor of the band, determining that "when a contract is silent as to its length, it is implicit that it can be terminated by either side," and that "allowing terminations under Illinois law does not conflict with sec. 203, but rather is, in fact, in keeping with the intent of sec. 203."[4]

Now back to discussing their greatness...

rebellovw, Fullbug and starduster like this.
  20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I like how you minimize Steve Albini as a "commentator". Haha.

Wikipedia. Haha.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. Cake

Let's talk about the future now.

There should be a box set of all of their stuff - including comp cuts, etc. That would be essential!

Along with a separate box set of demos, outtakes, rehearsals, etc. And a third box set divided into the years that they were a massive touring band between 1981 and 1994. They played some amazing covers and (still) unreleased originals. Just imagine the goodies within!

22. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the brown colored Brown Reason To Live from AT. Like the early stuff.

I met Gibby at CMJ in NYC and he was very funny and random, friendly. He talked about what he thought of the music industry at the time. I spelled out the call letters for our radio station, but he read my J's like T's.

Soooo. Our custom Gibby station ID never was. And boy, I got crap about it.

23. Cake

Awesome story! :D

There are some really funny radio interviews out there, too of the Butthole Surfers.

Anyone heard their cover of Heart's Barracuda with Sarah Bernhardt on vocals? Brilliant and unreleased!

24. bwking0

bwking0 Forum Resident

Do you actually think Albini would comment on Prindle's site? It was cut and pasted from some commenter of reviews who quoted him. Not sure where he or you got it. Link?

Kill the source. Maybe reading the Wiki footnote will help:
    http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/172/481/599637/

Sorry people back to their music...

starduster likes this.