Any Butthole Surfers fans or collectors on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cake, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Cake

Cake Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great!

Anyone heard the track Eindhoven Chicken Masque (originally on the T&G comp God's Favorite Dog and now on Humpty Dumpty LSD)? It's one of their best tracks and an amazing instrumental. :D

Oyster Boy likes this.
  2. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Is that the one about the eye balls?

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Some very close friends of mine did a remix for "Pepper" which was only released as a promo 12".

J_D__ likes this.
  4. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

I saw these guys live at The Masquerade in Atlanta back around 1986. It was right around the time of Rembrandt Pussyhorse, and I think that they were still living in Athens. One of the most truly bizarre experiences of my life. I will remember it until the day I die.

5. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Which CD too get?!?! Original issue or remastered?
    I'm guessing I know; but one never knows...

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Go for the original Touch and Go CDs, the digipak remasters are just compressed and EQ'd versions of the original CDs!

7. Cake

I have both versions of their albums on cd - including the original Touch & Go versions and the band's own remastering from 1999. I think that the '99 remasters sound much better and clearer - though they really need to be remastered again since technology has definitely changed since 1999.
    You should start, in my opinion, with both the Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac cd and the Cream From The Socket of Davis ep (which is, actually, included in the remastered version of Rembrandt Pussyhorse album).
    There are tons of Butthole Surfer tracks to listen to and treasure for all eternity!

8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Humpty Dumpty LSD was my first, and remains my favorite of their stuff. But I really like everything!

9. Cake

yeah, it's time for the band to put out another series of unreleased gems.
    Cannot wait! It would be a great surprise for Record Store Day in April, wouldn't it?

10. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

i actually played Electric Larryland a few weeks back and liked it a lot more than i remembered. i last played it about 10 years ago. i saw them play a secret show at a small club around 2001 and it was BORING!

11. Cake

I saw them play in August 2011 in Los Angeles and they were awesome! They did a lot of their older material and nothing from Electric Larryland or Weird Revolution, however. but, the crowd was into it and it was Gibby, Paul, Jeff and King! Essential!

12. ickyspat

ickyspat Well-Known Member

I love this band.....have been obsessed with them April, when I first got into them. I have nooooo idea why I like them....I shouldn't due to my typical tastes in music, but godamn something just draws me in! Favorite album is Hairway to Stephen.

13. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Forum Resident

Does anyone know if they are still together, playing, recording etc?

14. jack static

jack static Forum Resident

Last tour was 2011. Current line-up is Gibby, Paul, King, and Jeff. Teresa was playing with them for a while but left in 2009, I believe. No new recorded output since 2001, though. Still a KILLER live band!

15. DeanGoodman

DeanGoodman Member

OP- I have Capitol's advance cassette for "Oklahoma!" - worth anything?

16. Cake

The Butthole Surfers have never actually broken up and are currently on hiatus. Gibby Haynes, the singer, usually does some dj sets in the NY area. Guitarist Paul Leary has a side project named Carny which he is hoping to tour with in the near future (outside of still producing albums for lots of bands). Drummer King Coffee has a side project named Rubble and long time bassist Jeff Pinkus has an amazing band named Honky that are constantly touring and putting out albums.

One of these days, a box set will come out which include all of their studio releases. I remember going to their studio in Austin, Texas when they were about to release Independent Worm Saloon on Capitol Records to interview them for the late lamented Fiz Magazine for a cover story and saw their list of unreleased recorded songs which numbered over two hundred or so - along with the shoeboxes full of "every single practice" from 1981 to the present day. They have amazing riches in their vaults and I, myself, have over one hundred hours of unreleased live Butthole Surfers shows that date from 1982 to 2011.

One of the best unreleased studio gems that I have had the pleasure of hearing was their cover of Heart's Barracuda with comedian Sandra Bernhardt singing the song in both English and Spanish. Hopefully, one of these days, it will be released.

Anyone else have outtakes or rare stuff of the Buttholes?

17. Whoever said this or didn't say this, it really doesn't say much of anything.

18. Butthole surfing (sliding down a natural limestone water slide with or without an inner tube) is a fairly popular pastime in the Texas hill country where they are from.

Sprague Dawley and speedracer like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I saw them years back on the first or second Lollapalooza. I'm not sure. I wasn't into them.

I have several of their albums, and I'm not into those, either. Coffey's Trance Syndicate releases were great though, and I love Honky. That's about all I've got.

20. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

The irony of your comment is not lost on me.

21. the grobe

the grobe New Member

Yes! I love LOVE L O V E the Butthole Surfers! As long as I can remember. I just recently came across "live PCPPEP" on Mog. Somehow I missed that, never heard it whatever. Anyway it's like finding a gem. I've been loving it.

I would love to see a box set. Take my cash now! !

22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Back in the day it was popular to play the 45rpm EP at 33rpm. Most of my friends preferred it that way.

23. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

"Look Daddy...I'm a surfer!"

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. ickyspat

ickyspat Well-Known Member

Gotta chime in again...dammit I can't stop listening to them...it's been two months and still listen to rarely anything but them...what's wrong with me..lol?

25. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die