Honeymooners remastered dvd?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Are there any plans to release the original Honeymooners along with the short sketches from the variety show? I know some of the episode are out, but I am lookingfor remastered high quality dvds with say the complete 39 episodes on 8 or 10 dvds plus the original Jackie Gleason Variety show shorts and maybe the shorts from the later years. There was a Honeymooners special on last fall, and the footage they used was outstanding. Has anyone seen the current dvds? What is the quality like?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have yet to see the Original 39 on DVD...

3. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I think that is true. The only Mooners on DVD are the lost episodes that were found in the 80s where the quality is not that good. The original 39 that we have seen over and over have not been put on DVD. When they do make it to DVD I would expect the quality to be unusually good because Gleason insisted that they be shot on film which was very unsual for a TV show back then.

4. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Does anyone have the classic 39 DVD set? Perhaps I am a dummy, but I can't get them to play in the correct (original broadcast) aspect ratio. Is this possible with this set?

5. Michael

they are all Full Frame...what's wrong with your set?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, this is a thread back from the dead! I'm certain the DVDs are mastered in 4x3, just as the original live Dumont broadcasts and Electronicam recordings were made. Check the DVD player and set to make sure they're reproducing in the correct aspect ratio -- don't rely on Automatic, because those settings can be fooled in some cases, resulting in "fattenizing" or other problems.

7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Fixed it. I found a setting wrong buried in the player. Ralph is not need to be fatter than he already is!!!!!

8. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

9. Michael

yes, it occurred to me that was the problem! glad to can watch them in the correct order...

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

The Classic 39 Honeymooners have not been remastered in HD per the CBS/Paramount syndication bible. I've held off buying the set thinking at some point CBS/P would upgrade to a remastered set or even offer a BD release. I know that BD of classic TV can be a tough sell but I can see 3 series that CBS/P owns that might work:

Honeymooners (one season)
    I Love Lucy (Lucy sells and this should look very good since all film based)
    Andy Griffith (very popular series; some clips used on Pioneers of TV were HD and looked spectacular)

11. Michael

I can imagine how a BR fan would react to the Honeymooners Lost Episodes Box...probably crack.:laugh:
    BR...it's all about the PQ not the movie.;)

12. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Sorry for the confusion, the release I linked to contains only the "Lost Episodes"...but this 2011 set is the first time many of them have ever been released on home video.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Ahh, thanks. :tiphat:

15. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I think i'll wait on this set, it's bound to pop up in thrift stores like the ''classic 39'' set which i paid 6.99 for.

16. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

CBS/Paramount have their head up their ^&*(^%('s They sell Perry Mason seasons in way too expensive half seasons sets,they take forever.......... The only thing they care about is Star Trek
    and many of their TV shows don't even come out on Blue Ray (Twin Peeks) even new Shows like The Good Wife. They couldn't even do Twilight Zone they sold rights to Image ,So I don't think they will ever redue
    their earlier(not so Hot) DVD set of The Classic 39,The Only good news is the set has been out so long,that now you can find it really cheap

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

18. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

19. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

You will not be disappointed. It really gives a great perspective on the characters, from the gritty birth in 1951 with Pert Kelton's Alice, to the Kramdens' winning the European Vacation almost 30 years before the Griswolds' singing and dancing their way across, it is a fantastic box set. Though I cannot confirm it, I think that it looks like MPI may have went back to the original kinescope elements on the CBS Audrey Meadows shows and used that as a source, if not for all atleast for a large amount of the shows. Regardless ... you will enjoy!

20. Michael

we had a blast watching this! glad I waited for the complete set!

21. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

For those of you who are waiting for the Honeymooners Blu-Ray Release, I strongly suggest that you get them on DVD now! The Honeymooners is a classic that can be enjoyed fully in standard def or hi def so there is no reason to cheat yourself out of the enjoyment of watching them now. I have both of these sets & I will get the Blu-Ray versions when (if) they are released. If all the extras are carried over to Blu-Ray (always check!) I will pass these DVD's on to family members or friends. Get them because they are that good!!! You should already know that if you're Honeymooners fans!

[​IMG]

22. Michael

please tell me how a BR release would benefit The Lost Episodes box? seriously...

23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Not much in my opinion as far as picture & sound. The only thing I can think of would be less discs to hold everything. I'm extremely happy with my DVD's so unless they add something substantial in the "extras" category, I'll stick with my DVD's. I will request the Blu-Rays as a birthday or Christmas gift though.

24. Michael

great answer...the PQ is poor on most of the Lost Episodes and would be unwatchable to many!...

25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

As much as I love this show, I can't imagine buying the classic 39 on BR. I'm not one of those 'why release old stuff on blu-ray' people, but even if they did drastically improve the quality of the visuals, is the Kramden's apartment something I really want to see in such detail? I fear that much resolution would make it look that much worse. There'd have to be an awful lot of quality extras to tempt me to buy that set. (And the lost eps definitely not.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.