Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Still waiting for the LP set... :mad: In the meantime, I'm listening to my 23$ Clapton Slowhand Super Deluxe and my 27$ Smashing P. set.

2. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Opportunist! ;-)

3. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

This release has been my biggest disappointment of 2012 (musically). Perhaps ever, considering that this is my favourite album.

I would give anything to hear the Steve Wilson 2Ch remixes without the compression and bright EQ that Peter Mew added. Its a pity the re-pressed set won't contain it.

Currently, I am listening to a homespun rip of the 24/96 2Ch remix (extracted using DVD Audio Extractor) that I've run through iZotope Declipper (Settings: Quality High, Clipping Threshold -4.5dB, Makeup Gain -2.5db
    and the Apple AU 31 band Graphic EQ -0.29dB @ 4,5, 6.3 & 8 kHz and -0.58dB @ 10, 12, 16 & 20 kHz.
    Side 1 gain 0.7dB, Side 2 gain-1.2dB, dithered using iZotope MBIT+ to 16bit and sample rate converted to 44.1kHz using iZotope Resampler, to redbook specs.

I've included the specs. in the unlikely case that anyone with the same set-up wishes to rescue the abomination we have been sold.

Merry Christmas.

4. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

How does the 5.1 mix sound. Is the EQ fixed???? So far not one person who has received there fixed version has commented on the EQ?

5. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

I have to agree. This is one of my all time favorite albums and my anticipation for the remix was huge. I have been horribly disappointed ever since first listening to the CD.

What makes it worse is the fact that there was absolutely no reason for Peter Mew to take was was almost certainly an outstanding remix and intentionally compress it's dynamics and skyrocket it's treble. I am beyond sick of these music industry terrorists vandalizing musical treasures.:cussing:

duneman likes this.
  6. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Perhaps we could start a YouGov petition to have him straight-jacketed during working hours?

7. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

:laughup:
    I like that idea!

8. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I had a bad feeling about this set from the start.
    Glad I grabbed the MFSL at a low price as lots of folks were dumping these when the set was announced.
    I returned mine and invested the money into the new CTTE sacd.:agree:

9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The EQ on the surround mix is improved, with the excessive brightness removed. The stereo remix and stereo original mix are unchanged as far as I can tell, but didn't share the same problem. The final "yeah" is restored at the end of the surround mix only.

Tim

10. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

So the consensus is the mastering on the Cd remix is poor?

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

:wave:

I posted a review somewhere (page 4, or 12, or 20 I don't know :D), and while NONE of the Steven Wilson remixes have been "warm" (and I've heard Crimson, Tull and ELP from him) this mastering in particular is the worst, IMHO. :shake:

12. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

The treble boost and compression start off moderately and seem to ramp up further in. The last third is an ear-bleeding, shrieking mess of treble - the worst EQ on ANY CD I've heard.

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Yikes! Will this be corrected in a new pressing or is this a FUBAR release to stay away from?

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

FUBAR?

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

an acronyn, WWII slang.

FUBAR: F#cked Up Beyond All Recognition

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Aha! Many thanks for the explanation.

17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That might be the real vernacular, but it was originally reported as "fouled up".

18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

A bit like SNAFU (that one I did know), according to Wikipedia

(Apologies for going off-topic)

19. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

It seems they're only replacing the DVD because it has obvious glitches (but the replacement will incidentally get Steve Wilson's proper remix, without the crazy tampering with the EQ and loudness). The CD will apparently remain in its current abominable form.

20. onlyconnect

Note only the surround is changed. The stereo transfers are unchanged on the fixed DVD.

Tim

21. downer

downer Senior Member

I contacted Amazon UK today to enquire about a replacement disc, received this reply a couple of hours later...

"Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you've had with your Thick As a Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition) (CD + DVD).

Please be informed that we haven't received the corrected copy of this item "Thick As a Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition) (CD + DVD)" from our suppliers yet and so we can't send a replacement. However, we'll be happy to issue a full refund for this order.

Although the item might be available on our website from third party sellers, we can't source items from them but you can decide to place a new order from one of them if you wish.

Normally, we'd ask you to return the original item to us within 30 days. As the cost of returning this item is likely to be prohibitive, please dispose of this item at your own convenience if the item is unusable, otherwise please keep it with our compliments unless you wish to donate it to a local charity."

So a full refund has already been confirmed via another email from Amazon, so now ill just wait or confirmation that replacement copies are available and order a new one :)

D

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Interestingly, some non-UK Amazons have already deleted that "item under review" blurb and got the set back in the stock.

23. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying - I missed that. :)

24. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

That's very strange. I got a similar response from them when I first contacted them but last week the item was back in their own stock so I contacted them again and they indeed dispatched me a whole new set. It has not arrived yet but I hope it to be the corrected set.

25. onlyconnect

I received the corrected set from Amazon UK a few days ago. Maybe the stock got mixed together.

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.