Least favorite Megadeth Remaster?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dynamic Ranger, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident Thread Starter

What the title says. :)

I had posted a few threads earlier this year about the 2004 Megadeth remixes/remasters vs the original Combat/Capitol CDs. (soundwise)
    So now I wanna hear your opinions and thoughts about which Megadeth remaster you think is the worst. May it be due to Sound quality, Re-recorded parts, Clipping, Etc.

My least favorite Megadeth remaster would have to be the Peace Sells But Who's Buying? 2004 remixed version. Not only is it brickwalled to the point of no return, But all of the bass and guitar solos have been re-recorded! That's like re-writing history when it's legacy shouldn't be tampered with! If it ain't broke, Why fix it? In my opinion the remix sounds FAR too different from the original version. The opening bass line in the track: Peace Sells has been completely changed altogether. It sounds like it's going to be better at first, But then BOOM! Brickwalled and heavily clipped guitars slam you upside the head. The drums have no (And i mean NO) impact at all once they kick in, They sound like modern digital fake drums with no punch. Where in the original version they sound really boomy and full, They give the song that menacing 80's feel.
    The best thing to do is get the original 80s Capitol/Combat CDs (Or vinyl, Whichever you prefer)
    The original versions sounds just fine to my ears. The original Peace Sells CD has a very fat heavy sound. Sure, It might be a bit shrill in places, but is much more enjoyable and crankable than the 2004 version. (This goes for the other Megadeth re-issues as well)

Anyways, Go ahead and comment to explain which is your least favorite Deth remaster, and why.:targettiphat:

LitHum05 likes this.
  2. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Rust in Peace - It just sounds nothing like the original, the drums are completely different. The guitars sound compressed, the bass doesn't sound real and to top it off different vocal takes are used for some songs.

Also, I think this topic has been done before.

Cooks420 and dennis1077 like this.
  3. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell you which one is THE worst, as I've saved myself from hearing either one in entirety. In fact, I remember when my friend, whom I had turned onto Megadeth, bought the remastered Rust in Peace, oblivious to any changes being made. We were hanging out, he put it on, and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing (he didn't seem to mind, not being that familiar with the original). I asked him to play the then new Therion albums instead. I just couldn't take it. From what I've heard of the rest of these remasters, they're all so bad they should be avoided at all costs. Was that seriously a f***ing TRUMPET on "Into the Lungs of Hell" from SFSGSW?

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I did get the vinyl for 'So Far, So Good...So What' on the Capitol reissue. I take it it's the original mix, true?

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Ah, let's do it again, shall we? :D I agree with you RIP is the worst.

6. neonknight5150

neonknight5150 Member

These "remasters" are not remasters but remixes. The label uses the phrase "remaster" as an extra buzz word to spur the fan/consumer into thinking these new editions are extra special and received the most superior treatment available and every bit worth their money. I hate when they do that, it's insulting to the work of engineers.

The remixes of the Max Norman engineered albums (Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, Youthanasia) are my least favorite.
    In fact all of the remixes bother me. I can see Mustaine being dissatisfied with the mix and recording quality of Killing Is My Business and Peace Sells... But Who's Buying records, but why the ones following them?

I don't mind the rough original mixes of Killing Is My Business and Peace Sells... But Who's Buying. They're a product of the circumstances at the time. Like any other band just starting out in the 1980's, Megadeth had low funds, meaning access to a state of the art recording facility with an adequate analog multitrack recording machine and knowledgeable engineers was impossible. You also have to take into account the drug habit of Mustaine and the band cutting into the already scant recording budget, limiting the quality of the final product.

7. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Fine with me!

I also agree the original cd of Peace Sells is better. It sounds darker and more menacing. I will take atmosphere over compression for heavyness thanks.

8. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

Does the 2011 25th anniversary CD use the same remix/remaster as the 2004 version? I wasn't aware parts were actually rerecorded for the 2004 issue.

I knew he had rerecorded vocals for the 2004 Rust in Peace (the originals were "lost" or something?)

9. Dynamic Ranger

Apparently the 2011 Remaster uses the original mix which is good. However, I have not heard the 2011 version yet, But i am sure it's brickwalled to hell like most other modern re-issues.

And yes, On the Rust In Peace remix many of the master tapes with Dave's vocals were in bad shape or had gotten lost. The songs with re-recorded vocals are: Take No Prisoners, Five Magics, and Lucretia. But on Holy Wars a lot of the vocal parts just don't seem right to me. Like they have been tweaked or heavily EQ'd in many places. So overall the entire Rust In Peace 2004 remix is faulty. The original 1990 Capitol CD is the best way to go!:righton:

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I own the Super Deluxe of the 2011 25th Anniversary Edition.

Disc 1: Original Album, Remastered 2011
    Disc 2: Remixed, Remastered Versions From 2004
    Disc 3: Randy Burns Mixes Remastered 2011
    Disc 4: Live At The Phantasy Theatre, Cleveland 1987
    Disc 5: Hi-Res Audio Disc containing Original Album and the Live Show

(Also 3 LP set comes in the Super Deluxe box containing original album and Live show.)

11. piepants

piepants Forum Resident

The first version I had for Rust in Peace was the 2004 remix. Then around 2 years ago I stumbled upon an original 1990 CD, and was completely blown away! I've been tracking down the originals since

12. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

What's interesting about the worst remasters? I am only interested in good (re)masters...

13. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

I have the RIP Capitol 180g reissue vinyl that I'm pretty sure used the original recording...sounds good to me. Will probaby go ahead and get the 2004 So Far So Good, however, as that original CD is one of the worst sounding things I own.

14. Dynamic Ranger

I agree. I must say the 2004 remix/remaster of SFSGSW did the album justice. That is the only Megadeth album where the original version sounds awful. Original KIMB was bad too, But So Far So Good was even worse IMO. And some people say the original Peace Sells CD is flat?:unhunh: No. Original So Far So Good is flatter than a pancake compared to Peace Sells.

15. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

I have the originals on cd and vinyl and love them. A while ago I purchased a remix/remaster or 2 and really liked them, especially after reading mustaine's notes about the revisionalism. I do not advocate these versions without first hearing the originals... But they add to the legacy. I also like the version of md.45 with mustaine's vocals replacing lee ving's.

16. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

Is the original CD really that bad that this Frankenstein monster from 2004 is preferable? I'd say no. Yes, the original is flat, but it is... original. And it's not that flat either. Crank it up, and it rocks just fine. Those machine gun riffs at the beginning of "Set the World Afire" sound positively lethal on my original CD. There was no real need for improvement here. Mustaine ****ed up, there's no other way of putting it.

17. Dynamic Ranger

True. Maybe it's because i haven't heard the original in so long that i forgot how it actually sounded. Problem is, I lent my original CD of SFSGSW to a friend many years ago and never got it back, So the remaster is the only way i can go for now since the originals are out of print. :shake: Unless i can find a used copy at my local store that is.

18. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

I put this on again this afternoon, and sorry, just difference of opinion here, I had a hard time listening to it. The guitar sound is very unique and interesting to this specific album and I do like that aspect, but everything else from the drum sound to the mix to the mastering is just painful. I had the original LP as a teen, and remember being completely turned off to it as well.

Maybe this is part of what makes Rust in Peace such a monster. Everything wrong was corrected. The songs, the performances, the recording, the mastering...everything about the original LP is perfect. I don't know why anybody would want to mess with it.

19. V I Aboytes

V I Aboytes Forum Resident

I think the remasters reveal Dave Mustaine's shortcomings as a vocalist. Marty Friedman sounds amazing though!

20. bjohnsen74

bjohnsen74 Forum Resident

I'm probably in a minority here, but I think all the remixes are great, I think Dave improved on every single album Megadeth ever made. Maybe only exception is Risk, I prefer the original 1999 mix (especially Insomnia). The 2004 remixes are what made me a Megadeth fan, I never cared about them before, mostly due to my tastes in music at the time but also due to the sound of the original albums. I'm also not that big of a fan that I care too much about re-recording being done or other parts removed etc.

21. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Not a fan of any of the "Remixed & Remastered" CDs ... only bought them all for completeness and the bonus tracks. The originals, for me, are better every time. The project might have worked if the remixing was a little more subtle and they had resisted the urge to brick wall the discs.

The biggest disappointment was the hi-rez , 2011 Peace Sells.

22. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

I never minded the thinness of the original SFSGSW, it never interfered with the viciousness and the precision of the music. By contrast, I think it was the production of Rust in Peace that robbed the album of some of the power it could have had. Nothing too bad, the album is still great, but the production is just a tad soft. But, of course, that's the way it is and I think both albums were destroyed with the remix (not really, it's not as if the originals disappeared).

I would argue that the 2004 versions are not really those albums anymore, but alternate versions. The remix of Rust in Peace from 2004 is no more THE actual entity known to us previously as Rust in Peace than a complete live performance of the 1990 Rust in Peace is. It's an alternate version, but not the actual thing. What I'm saying is, when you're listening to the 2004 remix of SFSGW, I'm sorry, but you're not listening to SFSGW (this works for any 2004 remix). In the end, this is an ontological question (if not an ecumenical matter - brownie points for catching that reference:D ).

The real crime, of course, was that the CD's with the original masterings were discontinued.

xaml and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  23. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

This sums it up quite nicely. I like the project and the fresh 'live in the studio' aspect. It gives a lot of the catalogue some different angles to come at you from. It suits me as a collector and a fan. The major negative is that the classic versions will get buried in history.

24. Dynamic Ranger

My thoughts exactly, If it's not the original version of the album as it was intended. Then it's not the actual REAL album, Just an alternate version. Great minds think alike i guess! :righton:
    I too hate the fact that the original albums were discontinued, There was no need for them to be replaced, They could have had both versions available as seperate releases, since that's what they are anyway. Not everyone is gonna like the new versions ya know!

On a side note: The 2004 remix of Take No Prisoners should have been renamed "Take No Listeners"! :hide:
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

DDTM likes this.
  25. Dynamic Ranger

Well, I just like hearing people's opinions on which re-issue they think is the worst. It's just.. Fun i guess! :bdance:

Gives me somethin to do! :D

Holy Diver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.