Who Is The Most Obscure Artist You Listen To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odieman

Odieman Forum Resident

All those mentions of Moxy Frovous without mentioning Jian Ghomeshi (host of Q and the infamous Billy Bob Thornton interview). My current answer would be Shovels and Rope.

2. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Keanu Reeves Band Dogstar
    Rain is one of my favorites among others

3. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Henry Badowski (on the I.R.S. label, circa 1980).

hophedd and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  4. MAYBEIMAMAZED

So what is your favorite song or songs by him?

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I saw him live once in college. Terrific show. He went over so well they invited him back the next semester, but they booked him in the campus coffeehouse where you could only legally have 50 people or so inside at one time. Even some members of the committee that booked him were unable to get tickets!

6. V I Aboytes

V I Aboytes Forum Resident

Vince Wallace

7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Biff Rose.

I listen to his 60's and 70's music all the time.

Anyone here into him??

8. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Lately I've been digging Speed, Glue & Shinki's 1971 album Eve. They were a heavy pysch/blues power trio from the far east. The guitarist Shinki Chen was supposed to be the Japanese equivalent to Jimi Hendrix, which of course he is not. But there is some cool stuff here nonetheless. And yes, they took their name from the drugs they were into. :eek:

9. neonknight5150

neonknight5150 Member

Doctor Ross The Harmonica Boss

10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Me, too. Their first album is so "Utopian"-I'm pretty much a fan of any album produced by Todd Rundgren. Here's a few other obscure, long forgotten bands: Melony, Polyrock, Odds, Spider, Sinceros, Wire Train, Charlie,Dirty Looks(not the heavy metal one), Gigolo Aunts, Ivy,Lida Husik, Slow Children, and The King Bees.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  11. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

"My Face"

12. MAYBEIMAMAZED

lol I just played that song just now haaaaaa
    cool:righton:

13. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Fit and Limo.

14. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

Probably Nadia Kapiche (early 80s improvisational LA group with Micki Steele, Steve Schiff, Toni Childs etc: ) , a band so obscure that the recordings I have of them are courtesy of the band's keyboard player.

15. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Dalek I love you - completely unknown british electronic new wave band from the late 70s/early 80s, no idea who they were or what they looked like, but their album "Compass/Kumpas" is very dear to me

Barry Ryan - for many he's just a one-hit-wonder (Eloise) from the late 60s , but he made two amazing albums (the first two) with a very interesting music placed between rock and classic. You already find many ideas here, for which later artists like Queen were loved for.

mantis4tons likes this.
  16. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Not obscure enough. I got into his music by ways of the T Bone Burnett connection though I have to admit I have not quite dug into his early work just yet. "Ole" is my favourite. I would not hesitate playing him on the radio (if I had a chance, that is).

There is a whole thread dedicated to NRBQ on this board. Feel free to look for it and join the discussion about their recordings. World Famous Headlines is indeed very much a fun album.

17. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Two obscure artists have spots in my top 20 favorite artists:

Prisonshake - Cleveland (and then St. Louis) indie band that flies between noise-mongering art-rock and Replacements-like rock'n'roll. Aside from the great music, they were the masters of quirky releases; their first album was a box set consisting of an LP, a 7", a cassette and a CD. Another release was an EP with 4 tracks in the right channel and 4 more in the left.

Snatches of Pink - Chapel Hill, NC band that has gone through many changes in personnel and even a temporary name change since their 1987 debut. The constant has been founder Michael Rank, the most worthy heir to Keith Richards and Johnny Thunders. Aside from 3 releases of moody, mostly acoustic rock in the 90s, their albums have been gloriously ragged and noisy rock'n'roll records that bring to mind the best of the Stones and the Heartbreakers (Johnny Thunders', not Tom Petty's). Rank also released a solo album this year that is a completely psycho take on Americana/roots music.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

terence boylan
    richard torrance
    willis alan ramsey
    the producers

19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Gurf Morlix

20. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've know he's played on albums by Ian McLagan, Lucinda Williams, Robert Earl Keen and others, but what's a good starting point for his solo work?

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

New York's Native. A hell of a band, featuring easily one of the great guitarists -- Mike Jaimes.

(disclaimer: I was in the band -- but we had several records, still on iTunes, and a large, loyal following)

22. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Cleveland's mid-60s band Mirrors. They never made an album, but I've got demos.

I'd have to say none of the artists I listen to are obscure--just under-appreciated. :cool:

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Negativland- been a hard-core fan since I saw them play at DC Space in the '80's.

24. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Clifford T. Ward. Underrated English singer -songwriter.

25. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.