Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #43)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Thank you so much for your time. I have bookmarked this post for future consideration.
    I have already blown this month's music budget. A wave of Messiaen is coming my way!

IF I WERE A RICH MAN!

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007CW2FGQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357231829&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

I got this box and like it. It's only 10 discs instead of 32, but a great introduction I think. I've also recently bought a bunch of CDs of solo piano on Nova Arte that I haven't listened to yet.

Searching for that box to link. I see a box of the complete organ works that I might order.

3. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Let's not also forget by the way . AndrewLloyd Webber's Requiem. Complete with a New York star -studded ( accordingly rated for being then notable- but only for that one particular moment in Time ) audience for its public launch. Leaving aside for the time being, the many rather comic attempts at Opera, by some of the same mentioned composers and their fellow ilk.. :)

4. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

A CD box of organ works played by Messian himself.....has laid unplayed on my shelves for many years. The thought of attempting to play it , I think I would find it, a daunting task. You deserve a listener's bravery medal! No kidding! I think I will for some time in the future be content to just refuse and wave the white flag.

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The heck happened to my pic? I thought I posted one earlier. Anyhow I'm at work now and can't get to Image Shack. Will try to re-post later.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The Audacity waveform? I see it clearly in the original post and in your quote above.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I see it

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Weird . . . I feel like Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense." Can't see it. Wonder if a Web filter is squelching it because of the host.

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

do you see dead waveforms?

10. John S

John S Forum Resident

Same here. All I see are dead peo.....er..little boxes with Xs. I'll bet when you get on the home computer all the pics will be there.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"I See Ugly Clipping!"
    Yes!

12. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Beautifully played CD by this duo....

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      76.8 KB
      Views:
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

...who perform under the stage name "The Lilliputians"? ;)

14. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

If you enjoy David Lang's more accessible choral pieces, you may want to investigate Tarik O'Regan, Toivo Tulev, and Peteris Vasks... And maybe one of the other Langs, Klaus, the Austrian composer.

My favorite sentient beings who write music include Wolfgang Rihm, Valentin Silvestrov, and Salvatore Sciarrino. There's plenty of rewarding music out there if one searches hard enough.

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

One of my faves, too. I buy every new Silvestrov release on ECM, sound unheard. It's a pity that Gorecki did not live to complete his Symphony No. 4. It was due to be premiered in Los Angeles in spring 2011, IIRC.

16. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Eddie, it's a godsend ECM's around to promote Silvestrov's music. It would've remained a mystery to me, along with that of Holliger, Kancheli and Part, absent Manfred Eicher.

I wasn't aware of the cancelled Gorecki premiere-- what a shame.

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Need more B 12 . . .

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I'm not as familiar with Kancheli. Can you give me a recommendation or two? I do like Pärt, some works more than others. He has a new CD on ECM, have you heard it? Last week, I listened to Passio Domini nostri Jesu Christi secundum Joannem from the Naxos box I bought at a Borders closing sale a couple years ago. Good experience, but the investment only paid off because I met the music halfway. I understand why some may not like these kinds of minimalist-mystic Slavic composers, but the best works from them are timeless, IMHO. Holliger I am only remotely familiar with as a composer, but I did snag a 40 year-old DG LP in the used bins not long ago with one of his compositions on it. It was an orig. Japanese WLP for $2 — why not, I figured. I have to give that a whirl, but it's a bit dirty so...you know how that goes: too many records not enough time.

19. John S

John S Forum Resident

He obviously had an abundance of talent and intellect -- he clearly needed more of something else...

20. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

This reminded me of one of my favorite classical cd's. Marlboro Music Festival 40th series with the Barber/Nielsen Quintets and the Hindemith Octet. It's a great listen that gives off the usual Marlboro vibe that I always seem to enjoy. I would buy a box set of festival performances in a minute. They always seem to feature very special performances but can now be tough to find. I bought the Nielsen chamber music box a while back for a great price. It's a wonderful set that is obviously a labor of love but I would go w/ Marlboro as top personal pick.

I've always enjoyed Messiaen's Turangalila and my favorite so far is Wit on Naxos. This is one of my favorite symphonies, it sure covers a lot of ground! You need to set aside a good chunk of time, this thing runs a lot longer than your average Symphony. Any performances out there that trump the Wit/Naxos? Historical performances tend to be my favorites but this isn't much of an option w/ Messiaen. I do have Previn from that 20th Century box and I haven't gravitated towards it yet over the Naxos.

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived today for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

Actually the harpsichord tone is quite good IMO ...

22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Pärt is great!

23. George P

That happens at work to me sometimes. The X's not the dead people.

24. George P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.