Derek And The Dominos - Unreleased 2nd album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ranasakawa, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have several grey area CDs of sessions from the 2nd aborted Derek & The Dominos album.
    There are a number of tracks that never were released officially.
    What I am interested in is who is the other guitarist that is playing some of the solo's? It does not sound like Eric Clapton at all.

Were there anyone else who performed on the sessions other than the original band?

I had a theory that it may be Steve Winwood or even Pete Townshend.

Any ideas?

2. Perhaps Bobby Whitlock since he is also a guitarist in addition to playing keys and singing.

3. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

I grabbed a copy off the internet a few years back, I was amazed to learn, mostly there was indeed a whole
    second album in the can\

Some of these extra tracks do appear on the Layla box set as well??

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Only the standard 5 tracks originally pulled for the Crossroads box set made it to the most recent Layla box set (in addition to an early take of Got To Get Better In A Little While). I'm surprised more of musical performances from the aborted 2nd album sessions have not been released.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not at all. Most or all of the additional outtakes were unfinished.

I believe there are two reasons:

1) As above, the remaining outtakes are basically backing tracks.

2) There may be a questions about who wrote some of the songs.

6. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Truthfully there is not much worth mentioning off the second album sessions.
    Must have been early on before Eric hit the door(probably knowing that nothing much was shaking overall)
    Interesting but nothing essential.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's what I'd say. More of a curiosity.

8. PacificOceanBlue

I agree. A lot of the material is in incomplete form, but it certainly would be interesting to hear some of it in good sound quality as a curiosity.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My recollection is it circulates in quality close to that of the rough mix tapes, but I honestly haven't paid a ton of attention.

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It does. I picked up several boots with various tracks from the sessions. The sound is really quite good, but the songs are obviously unfinished. Even if these tracks had been finished, I heard nothing that approaches the songs that are on the Layla album. Got to Get Better In a Little While was the standout song IMO. I doubt that the second album would have done very well unless they had come up with some different / better songs.

11. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. The Layla album was not going to be matched. I can't imagine how it ever could have been matched. That isn't to say that there wasn't potential for a subsequent quality album, but not at the level of Layla.

somebodywhocares and belardd like this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

As I recall, Layla didn't start out as a top seller immediately either. It took awhile for the word to spread and people to hear it and realize just how good it is.

John Fell likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

That is true, but I wasn't referring to initial sales. The creative and artistic legacy of the Layla album has not been matched by many rock albums as far as I am concerned, and it is highly unlikely (particularly based on the outtakes that exist from the aborted 2nd album) the 2nd album would have matched the quality of the first one.

rockclassics likes this.
  14. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

And of course, the tragic story of Jim Gordon....
    Love Layla album. Pretty lousy recording, though, don't ya think?

Mickey2 likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's unclear what "Moody Jam" is, but the rest of that appears to be rough mixes done at Criteria prior to the 461 sessions. "Instrumental" is Carl & Me (or Karl & Me).

Looks like some rough mixes from Olympic, although it isn't clear where everything came from.

It isn't perfect, but on the whole I love the sound of it.

17. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Actually, many of these tracks (Evil, Snake Lake Blues, Mean Old Frisco, One More Chance & of course Got To Get Better In A Little While) were released on Crossroads and noted as from the 2nd album sessions at Olympic.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

I think it's Son of Apache. Is C/Karl & Me perhaps the short (~ 2 minute) instrumental from the sessions not found on this collection?

19. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

In my opinion, "Evil" is essential listening. In particular, Jim Gordon's incredibly tasty drumming is a real treat. I can't get enough of that track.

Fullbug, John Fell and glea like this.
  20. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Here's my Tampa info:

DEREK & THE DOMINOS featuring Duane Allman
    Live At Tampa

Curtis Hixon Hall, Tampa, December 1, 1970
    Legendary concert remastered

Disc 1:
    1. Layla
    2. Got To Get Better In A Little While
    3. Key To The Highway
    4. Why Does Love Got To Be So Bad

Disc 2:
    1. Blues Power
    2. Have You Ever Loved A Woman
    3. Battle Of Red Wine
    4. Let It Rain

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The recording sessions were at Olympic, but the mixes I was talking about were done at Criteria in 1974. And Got To Get Better had that (later) Clavinet overdub.

C/Karl & Me is 6:22. Some releases may indicate "Son of Apache", but that isn't what's on the tape boxes.

22. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarifications!

lukpac likes this.
  23. William Bullard

William Bullard New Member

I just came upon "Devil Road" on YouTube, a very strong jam noted as "The Last Sessions." I was amazed as I thought I had found every EC tidbit out there. I do think this is EC; another possibility is dave Mason, another of my favorites, who by stories I've heard was unofficially a Domino after Duane went back to the ABB, and played on a few Dominos songs, including "Ain't that loving you," which is on a big EC boxed set from about 20 years ago.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thanks for tipping me off to this. Just listened on youtube. I'm pretty good at spotting Dave Mason's guitar and I'm also quite confident this is EC playing- not Dave.

Fullbug likes this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.