Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #44)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued From Here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 43 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, classical performers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. jebjebitz

jebjebitz Member

Nice to see another thread started!
    Question: I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone when ordering from Amazon. I ordered a copy of Faure's Requiem on the Philips Label by Gardiner from Amazon. The seller was "Amazon" so I figured this would be a good bet. The copy I received was an obvious burned CD with a greenish, blue bottom surface and the print on the front was slightly blurred. I bought the product "new" and payed full price. Has this ever happened to anyone?

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'll get things going on this one. This is my concert schedule for the month of January.

Sinaisky Conducts The Planets

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Los Angeles Philharmonic
    Vassily Sinaisky, conductor
    Leonidas Kavakos, violin
    Women of Pacific Chorale, John Alexander, artistic director

Liadov: Eight Russian Folk Songs Program Notes
    Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No. 2 Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No. 2 Program Notes
    Holst: The Planets

Focus on Eötvös: Midori Plays Eötvös

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Los Angeles Philharmonic
    Pablo Heras-Casado, conductor

Midori, violin

Kodály: Háry János Suite Program Notes
    Eötvös: DoReMi, a Concerto for Violin and Orchestra (world premiere, LA Phil commission) Program Notes
    Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra
    Chamber Music with Lise de la Salle

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Members of the Los Angeles Philharmonic
    Lise de la Salle, piano

Schumann: Marchenbilder Program Notes
    Schumann: Piano Trio Program Notes
    Schumann: Three Romances for Violin and Piano, Op. 22 Program Notes
    Schumann: Piano Quintet in Eb Major, Op. 44
    Yefim Bronfman in Recital

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Schumann: Arabeske, Op. 18 Program Notes
    Brahms: Piano Sonata No. 3 in F minor, Op. 5 Program Notes
    Salonen: Sisar (LA Phil Commission, World Premiere) Program Notes
    Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No. 8 in B-flat, Op. 84
    Lise de la Salle Plays Rachmaninoff

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Los Angeles Philharmonic
    Gianandrea Noseda, conductor
    Lise de la Salle, piano

Rachmaninoff: Isle of the Dead Program Notes * Except Friday
    Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Program Notes
    Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 3
    Not a bad month ahead.

SBurke likes this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A watched thread never stops.

I've been mostly enjoying some old mono lps on the PE 2038, last two were a comparison of the first movement of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, first Toscanini's from VIC 8000, the big Victrola box, this one an early copy with plum labels. The other recording being Furtwängler's, VPO, on an early Seraphim pressing. It's curious. The Furtwängler was recorded to 78's, the Toscanini to tape. Both were recorded in big halls but Toscanini's is in close-up. Neither is anywhere near ideal in sonics or, truth be known, performance, but the spirit comes through, moreso now with the PE 2038.

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

They call them something like CD on demand. It's like arkivediscs at arkivmusic, OOP albums that are made on demand with CDRs. I thought that the usually labeled as such. Below the price there should be a blurb informing you http://www.amazon.com/Music-Veracru...8&qid=1357398397&sr=1-3&keywords=cd+on+demand

6. jebjebitz

jebjebitz Member

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Too lazy to search the Web for a conclusive answer, but I take it the Toscanini was recorded in Carnegie Hall? I've been gradually transferring the big Toscanini box to hard drive, and, given the lore that "all Toscanini's records sound awful because they were done in Studio 8H," I've been surprised at how many were done in Carnegie. I've worked from the back end down to somewhere around disc 35 or so, and my impression is that 8H is more the exception than the rule. Presumably that will change as I work my way into the earlier recordings.

And speaking of halls, I just finished transferring the Bruno Walter Beethoven Sym. set that I picked up a while back, mostly PSONY recordings from the late '40s and early '50s but including alternate performances from 78s in a couple of instances (the 3d and 5th; the 6th is with the Phila. Or., also from 78s, and has no PSONY counterpart in the set). I note that these were done in something called Liederkranz Hall, about which I know nothing except that Wikipedia indicates the NY Liederkranz was a cultural organization originally aimed at promoting German art in the US. Anybody know more about the hall?

Robin L likes this.
  8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

WOW I miss few days here and we are on a new thread already!

Last I saw George was listening to my fav piano music to go to sleep!

[​IMG]

My copy is a bit diff art and label.
    This same music George?

[​IMG]

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

All the Toscanini/NBCSO Symphony recordings in VIC-8000 box are from Carnegie Hall, a fantastic venue. The microphones were simply too damn close. Thing is, I'm sure the old Maestro was concerned with ferociously clean attacks by his orchestral minions so that his technique would likely expose more 'clams' than a more relaxed approach. Too bad—had Toscanini had the sort of technical address and production possibilities demonstrated in Karajan's better recordings, the situation would be much improved. As it is, Toscanini undermined his legacy with many of his NBC symphony recordings by virtue of his preferred production style.

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, supposedly one of Toscanini's overriding interpretive concerns was that every instrument should be clearly heard--he's said to have been in pretty much lifelong agony over the bassoon part in the Consecration of the House Overture. And of course your choice of "ferocious" is spot on; Toscanini was never one to let slide any dramatic possibilities of a score. Both these characteristics would naturally gravitate toward a preference for close miking.

Harvey Sachs, author of the best Toscanini biography, elsewhere has written a fascinating account of conditions in the Italian opera houses of the 19th century, where Toscanini cut his conductorial teeth. (If memory serves, it was one chapter in a volume otherwise devoted to music in Mussolini's Italy.) Basically, an atmosphere in which the road to results was through a crisis mentality. They go a long way toward explaining how Toscanini developed as he did, although I'm sure by reinforcing inclinations that were always there to begin with.

Robin L likes this.
  11. George P

[​IMG]

Listening to more from this set on this fine morning, at the request of my lady friend who is here with me. (She doesn't like Chopin or Beethoven, but she likes Mozart and Satie)

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hmmmmm...rather peculiar preferences. But I guess as long as she likes George the rest is of little moment. ;)

13. George P

HAHA! Yes indeed. And she does. (My Virgoan tendency to nitpick is rearing it's ugly head.)

Just shot you a PM

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

Keep an eye on her George. I fear future compatibility issues.;)

15. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Well, shame she doesn't like Chopin (I'd have thought that was humanly impossible among classical music fans), but that looks a really good set, as my knowledge of the Mozart symphonies is lamentably lacking beyond the last three. Is no. 41 the last?

Who says there isn't room for both? ;)

16. George P

:laugh:

Yes, it is. The set curiously misses #32, but has all the others between 21 and 41.

[​IMG]

Hi five!!

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yup. The Krips set is great, you should get it while you can. I love Bruno Walter's Mozart and the quarter finally dropped for me on Szell's Beethovian approach. But Krips really is the perfect mean between lyrical and visceral in Mozart.

18. George P

:agree:

The Krips is dirt cheap too.

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

"No. 32" is only nominally a symphony, being in fact a short piece in the form of an Italian Overture. It's not often recorded relative to the others around it. Here's what Wikipedia, The Encycolpedia Anyone Can Edit, has to say about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._32_(Mozart)

20. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

That's the perfect medium for me, as I never like my Mozart to sound too precious (an aspect of his music that put me off him for many years during my younger days).

I've heard that (I think I still have the cassette I used to record it off the radio somewhere) and while enjoyable, I wouldn't count it as among his great masterpieces - I think I can live without it if the Krips set is as great as everyone else is making out!

21. George P

Ah, thanks! My Boehm CD has 32 alongside the others, so I didn't know it was uncommon to do so.

22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now listening to some unknown piece broadcast over the BBC Radio 3 received by my Grace internet tuner, which arrived 2 days ago. I am somewhat surprised the streaming rate is only at 48 kbps. I know Jim listens to music over the internet, is anyone else at CMC into internet radio listening?

23. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived yesterday. This 1976 recording clearly is not HIP, but Huguette Dreyfus was an outstanding harpsichord of her generation ...
    [​IMG]

24. coopmv

Actually, the set up of this internet tuner is pretty straight forward. All I have to do is to let the tuner scan for available wireless networks. Once I punched in the security password for my home wireless network, the tuner starts to pull in stations ...

[​IMG]

25. coopmv

Jim, any insight to share with regard to the less than impressive streaming rate used by BBC Radio 3?

I think you have been using internet radio a bit longer than I have ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.