OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Don't know why you can't believe it as they are the definative place to go if you have a question about anything Oppo.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree as there are a number of very knowledgeable Oppo beta testers and owners in the Oppo threads on AVS. Of course Sam is one of those and is very knowledgeable on all Oppo players. He is a huge benefit to the members here on SH. I find the anti-AVS mindset over at the Emotiva Lounge to be very odd. I do not understand why one would not want to visit a site such as AVS to get advice on the components you own or are looking to buy.

Bill

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Great to hear.

Can you be more specific? I have this disc and can test it out.

Thanks for the kind words, Bill. AVS is indeed a great place, primarily because there is is a bigger volume of people with these players, who are very active on that those threads.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Works fine on the 103, just for information's sake.

5. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

With regard to the Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Damn The Torpedoes I wanted to:

(a) Set the audio to 5.1 pcm
    (b) Watch the two video clips

No problem setting the audio, but persuading the "cursor" to move down a line at a time to reach the video clips is slow and painful.

Now the BDP-83SE has no problem negotiating the menu, but on this disc it had real problems with the HDMI hand shaking with the Arcam AVR 500 that I had at the time. It was the devil's own job to persuade it to give me both sound and picture.

Now I use analogue audio connections to the Primare and HDMI to the monitor, which seems to work perfectly.

6. SamS

Yes, I see what you mean regarding the slow menu navigation. Let me see if we can get this corrected. It could take several weeks.

7. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Is anyone using the BDP-105 for audio only and the XLR output? If so, which is the best setting in the menu for DSD/PCM?

8. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

My 105 arrived on Friday just in perfect time for the long 4 day wkend. I've been an Oppo fan for quite awhile, previously owning the 980, 83, 83SE and 95. My primary use is 2-channel audio (through the rca out's) redbook cd with all the other occasional shiny discs too. In short; I've got less than 24 hrs time on it currently but yes, the audio upgrade is substantial over the 95, to my ears in my system. I can't believe how much more detail it's conveying...not a brightness, more detail in all of the frequencies. I'm extremelly pleased so far.
    The streaming YouTube is WAY easier to use vs the 95; much quicker and more stable.
    I have mucho listening to do and am eager to see how this baby comes into it's own over the next few weeks.
    Hopefully I can report more later.

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

My Oppo arrived just in time for me to find out my right channel isn't working on my amp! :(

But that ain't the Oppo's fault. Audio tests will have to be put on hold but at least I can start playing around with it. I don't have many BR discs, I have one actually, so I'll need to borrow some from my brother. I'll play around with some DVDs though.

I tell you, I can't believe the build quality on this item. The packaging was top notch as well. If it pans out to be as great as I think it will be, and as others have already stated, this will likely be my best value for money deal ever. :)

But I can't wait for my amp to be serviced so I can do some audio testing.

10. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

Just hooked up my 105 today. Looks and sounds great so far. However, I am unable to get the network streaming working. Oppo can see the name of my laptop, but when I open the music folder, expecting to see the flac files I have loaded into foobar, I am prompted for a username and password, which I do not have associated with the laptop. Anyone know how to access the files on the laptop wirelessly?

Thanks for any suggestions!

11. fredgsanford

Bump.

Has anyone had success with wireless playback of flac files on the Oppo 103 or 105. Still have that password prompt getting in the way.

Thanks!

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I haven't tried it with FLAC audio files but mine works with other ALAC and mp3 audio files. I tried both via wireless and ethernet. It worked without asking me for a password for neither my NAS or PC laptop.

Have you double checked your security settings on the laptop?

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'd like to know as well...

14. fredgsanford

Thanks for the suggestion. I went into Windows 7 and allowed media streaming. It can now play back video and audio files I have added to the oShare client that I installed. However I can not get foobar to communicate with the Oppo. Playback in foobar would be ideal to allow for gapless playback. Would be great to hear from anyone who has had success with foobar playback. Thanks!

15. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Finally caved in and ordered my 103 today. It is scheduled to arrive Wednesday! This is my first Oppo and also my first player to finally hear the SACD, HDCD, etc. layers on quite a few discs I have.

16. SamS

I have used Foobar with the '105, playback into the USB input from my laptop.

17. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Curious about the cd playback quality on the 105. I know a lot of folks see universal players as a sort of jack of all trades and would rather do dedicated players for dvd, cd, sacd etc. Just focusing on cd play back, how much would one need to spend on a dedicated cd player to meet or exceed the 105's cd sound via the analog outs. Asking because hopefully sometime this year I'll be looking to replace my Pioneer dv45 universal w/ either the 105, or the 103 w/ a separate cd player.

18. SamS

A lot.

I've heard several $5K CD only players, the '105 is better than all I've listened to.

19. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Wow. Thanks Sam. That is great to know. I would never be able to afford an exotic cd player anyways, and to know the same sound can be had w/ the 105 is a cool thought. That means I'm in for a hell of an improvement over my Pioneer, which I don't believe most folks consider that good of a player for cd's. Sweet.

20. SamS

I think you'd be quite shocked at the improvement of a 105 over a DV-45A.

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

My '103 is on the way...about to replace a '970 that doesn't play CDs anymore (but it still plays DVD and USB, so my bedroom is about to get an upgrade!). I can't wait!!!

22. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Sorry to give you the bad news but the OPPO will not play gapless regardless of which program you use to stream music to it. Gapless must also be implemented in the player and the OPPO has no such capability even though foobar does.

Here is the foobar configuration information to use with the player: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-dlna-upnp-thread/1500#post_20018658 The directions are for a BDB-83 but work the same for the 103/105.

23. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I'm interested in the 105 but would want this function to work. Hopefully there is a way. . . .

24. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

This has been an issue for some people using Windows 7. Go to the AVS Blu-Ray forums http://www.avsforum.com/f/149/blu-ray-players and do a search under the 103 and 105 threads for password issues. Some have had success after uninstalling Microsoft Live Essentials and all of it's components. There are also other suggestions which have worked. It might take a little time to sort it out, but it does work. I am able to stream music by pushing music from foobar to my OPPO and by using the OPPO to pull music from foobar and Logitech Media Server.

25. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

If you are using XLR out then choose DSD which will pass the DSD bitstream to your amplifier without any PCM conversion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.