OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

You can use the USB input of the '105, and playback via Foobar, to get gapless FLAC.

However, this is a cumbersome method for listening to any digital media collection, and you'll keep your sanity longer if you move to something like a Squeezebox system.

2. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Where did you obtain that information? I have never seen any indication that the players will play gapless using conventionally ripped files such as flac mp3, etc. In fact, one gentleman inquired of OPPO about gapless in this thread

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/messages/42004?threaded=1&m=e&var=1&tidx=1

and was advised by them:

"Unfortunately there will be gaps between user generated media formats when using physical disc, USB or network media storage. This is a limitation of the decoder chipset and will likely not be fixed through a future firmware release."

There was a discussion by Bob Pariseau who is a beta-tester for OPPO who likewise confirmed the player does not support gapless. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread/660

I haven't tried it, but perhaps one could create an iso image of a gapless CD and play that back via foobar for gapless playback, but that is not the way most of us rip music and store it for streaming purposes and would provide no advantage over simply playing the CD.

I use a Squeezebox Touch for gapless play, but unfortunately Logitech has discontinued manufacturing them.

3. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I retired my 45a a long time ago for an Oppo 980 which at the time sounded worlds better. Since then things have been improved even more in the Oppo line. I have a 103 not a 105 and the 45a is not a contender at all from my experience. There are issues with the implementation of the bass management and the 45a is not smooth at all. Comparing it to a 105 I would imagine is like comparing a Lada to a Ferrari.

4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I suspect that Sam might have been talking about using the USB input as an ASIO DAC fed by foobar from a PC, as apposed to using the usb input to read usb storage devices.

5. SamS

It is correct that the player does not support gapless FLAC when used as a media render (DLNA, files pulled from HDD, etc). However, if you are using Foobar, etc., on your laptop, and you are using the asynchronous USB input to basically make the BDP-105 a soundcard, you will indeed have gapless FLAC. This is because the decoding/transitions are done within Foobar/your laptop, not the player.

6. SamS

Correct!!!

7. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Ok now I understand what you were saying. I don't use a computer to feed the player via USB and stream everything via the network and use my laptop to queue up music from the server which is located in another room.

8. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

It is necessary to download a plug-in for the foobar to stream flac files wirelessy. It is now working. The Oppo sees my foobar and after selecting it plays whatever is cued up in foobar. However, I am still having password issues when I go to select any of the computers on my network and want to view my files.

9. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Just some more random thoughts about my 105 vs the 95. 2 channel through the rca outs and the sound is just much more clear and precise than the 95. It's almost as if it just grips the music better; hard for me to describe but everything just seems more sure of itself. The highs are more silky and the low frequencies are more solid with greater definition. A wonderful listening experience! I can barely take time away from listening!
    Video performance is way secondary for me so really haven't done too much there but it's safe to say that this a mighty fine machine.

Larry Johnson likes this.
  10. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

If you are still having password issues you may want to use foobar to push music to your Oppo. I do that because I do not use a monitor in my dedicated two channel audio room. If you push music to the player you do not need to use the player to navigate to your computer music files. I use a wireless laptop to connect to my music server, queue up songs in foobar on the laptop and then stream them via the wireless network to the player. Everything is thus controlled via my laptop/network and the player is merely a renderer with the foobar UpNP Controller in charge. I still prefer the Touch because of the ability to play gapless and use the Oppo primarily for SACD and DVD audio discs but it works fine as a renderer.

11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Since we're talking about the USB input on the 105, maybe you can answer this for me. I am using Audirvana on a Mac Mini as my music server. Right now it's going into a Xiang Sheng DAC. The DAC is getting pretty old and I need to upgrade. Would the Oppo be a good upgrade for me?

Chad

12. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I'll let others chime in on this because I gave up on the external DAC chase many years ago. The Sabre DACs in the 105 are reputed to be good DACs, but whether you will be able to tell a difference in your system in your room is something only you can answer. I have a dedicated, acoustically treated audio room and I am hard-pressed to distinguish a difference between the 105 and a Logitech Touch on most music. I would not want to gamble that I could consistently tell a difference between the two DACs in a double-blind test. Oppo offers a 30 day return policy so you are free to audition the player in your system to see if you can perceive a difference and if you do whether it is worth the cost.

Apart from the DAC questions and opinions, it is a fantastic Universal Disc player which has played everything I have thrown at it without any problems. FWIW I'm using it solely for 2-channel stereo via the analog outs and have no complaints and really like the player.

Larry Johnson likes this.
  13. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Since I need a new universal player and a new DAC, I think that the Oppo would be a good choice. I like the sound of my DAC, but it only plays 44.1 through USB and 98 through TosLink so I need to move up technology wise. I'm mostly concerned about gapless.

Chad

14. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

One thing happened to me with my 103 this past week. My NovaPre was sent in for Warranty work. I hooked the 103 to my b&k amp directly and switched the setting to variable volume control. I put in a DVD, hit play...........full volume 100%!! Very loud. I'm not certain if the volume is default 100% , just be careful. I highly doubt I hit the +\- all the way up. I was worried that I damaged my new Zu Omen defs, however, everything seems to be ok. My speakers are probably fully broken in now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

If I recall correctly, the volume is set to 100% after a firmware update. Had you updated firmware recently?

16. aberyclark

Yes, I keep up with latest updates. There has been no update available since this happened. I should have been more cautious. One thing, the Zu's sound really good LOUD. I can't wait to get a house this year and move out of the townhouse.

17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I believe I did read in the 103 manual that 100% is the default setting of the variable volume.

18. RoyalScam

3 questions on setting up my new BDP-103:

1. I have a circa-2008 Panasonic Plasma 50" TV...I'm sure it is a 720p TV, not a 1080p. Should I set the HDMI output resolution for Auto (which picks 1080p on my TV for some reason), 1080i, or 720p?

2. I am connecting the FL/FR analog outputs to my Pioneer SX-850. Should I set all the other speakers in Speaker Configuration to "off", or does it matter? Not doing any surround at all, HDMI or otherwise.

3. The first DVD I tried (Breaking Bad, Season Four, Disc 3) looked a tad blurry to me, especially on the menu text. My old Oppo 970 was crisper. Should I be adjusting the Sharpness or making sure the Noise Reduction is at "0" on the 103?

19. SamS

1. I'd pick 720p output from the OPPO. Maybe your TV accepts 1080p and downconverts the signal, internally?

2. Yes, turn all other speakers to OFF, so the player can fold the sound from 5.1/7.1 sources down to just 2.0

3. Try changing the output to 720p, first. I don't recommend messing with either sharpness or noise reductions, from their default settings. Their are a few occasions where the noise reduction would come in handy, but this is probably not one of them.

20. aberyclark

If that is case they should change that. I'm one of those people who only cherry picks the manual.

21. RoyalScam

Thanks for your help. Yes, I believe my TV downcoverts 1080p, so 720p is it.

The DVD playback seems "washed out" to me compared to my old 970. Even after bumping the Sharpness up to +2, it still seems like some sort of Noise Reduction is going on (though NR is set to "0" so is Off). My cable TV looks sharper. This wasn't the case with DVD playback on my 970. I have to investigate this further...

22. SamS

How does it look using HDMI2 output (if you're using HMDI 1, now). The difference should not be very pronounced between DVDs on the 970H vs. 103. Although it's a good idea to recalibrate your input when you get a new player.

How do Blu-rays look?

23. RoyalScam

I have to get a Blu-ray disc to find out! :winkgrin:

I'll try to move over to HDMI 2 tonight and report back.

24. RoyalScam

I have the Oppo set to 720p, because I've confirmed my Panny Plasma is a 720p set, not a 1080p.

I switched the output from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2...saw a drop in quality, but not by much. At least not as much as I thought I would. Anyhow, went back to HDMI 1.

Blu-ray looks excellent. Finally got a hold of a Blu-ray disc and the same DVD to compare. WORLDS of difference.

But, that Breaking Bad DVD (and other DVDs) still look a bit "washed out" to me compared to the 970. It actually looks a little better to me when I switch to Source Direct (which bypasses the Qdeo processor). I notice it more on text and credits. They are blurry to me.

Maybe I just don't like the way Qdeo handles DVD upconversion to 720p? Or the processor is faulty (but Blu-ray looks fine)? It really looks to me like there is some NR going on, even though NR is set to off on both the Oppo and my Panny.

25. SamS

It would be unlikely the processor is faulty. If it has a failure, it's not subtle, i.e. it just doesn't work at all.

I still think you should recalibrate your TV's Brightness control to compensate for the "washed out" look you're describing. The 103 is going to provide for reference-level video level outputs for either HDMI port. You might want to pick up a calibration disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.