Amazon introduces Autorip CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bonnerj, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw this announcement on Amazon's Facebook page this morning:

Audio Fidelity's "But Seriously, Folks" gold CD is listed as an "autorip" CD. Question: what are the chances that Autorip purchasers of this or other audiophile CD releases will get mp3s from that mastering?

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Interesting concept, but does Amazon need to do this? It may help them sell CDs, but aren't enough people happily paying for the MP3 downloads without the accompanying CDs? I thought MP3 buyers don't want CDs.

Good question about the MP3 mastering. I question whether Amazon has more than one MP3 mastering on hand.

3. bonnerj

I think you raise a good point about this. This reminds of the original mp3.com, which had partnered with some online retailer (or maybe they were selling CDs themselves) so that the CD you bought would be added to your mp3.com locker automagically. An idea that was probably ahead of its time, but now past its prime.

Regarding the masterings available at Amazon, look at Amazon's listing for Steve's AF Cheap Thrills:

Amazon.com  cheap thrills gold cd  Music.png

This is probably moot since anyone spending the money on a gold CD is probably not interested in a lossy download. If the mp3s are immediately available in Amazon Cloud, though, it would give the buyer something to listen to while he/she reads the shipping update threads :righton:

4. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I generally agree - I think the real benefit for anyone that this service appeals to would be having CDs purchased in the past now available in Amazon Cloud for streaming, without counting against your limit (I think). At least, this is the benefit I'd get from it if I used Amazon's Cloud service.

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Apparently it will also be retroactive and include past CD purchases that have since been added to the "Autorip" mp3 collection. I've probably bought a fair share of CDs from Amazon over the past 15 years, and I like the ability to have a digital version available for streaming on my portable device when I don't have my own files loaded.

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Just got an e-mail from Amazon stating that tracks from 46 CDs (including several box sets) that I've purchased are now available in the cloud player. I'd forgotten I'd purchased some of these.

:righton:

7. sunsetandgower

sunsetandgower Forum Resident

I now have autorips of cd's I no loner own.....interesting concept.

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I now have autorips of CDs I bought as gifts.

9. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

All my AF titles I've bought have been autoripped to my Amazon Cloud player.

10. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

this is interesting , wonder if this has been launched outside the US

11. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I'm sure those aren't the AF mastered files.

I've apparently only ever bought Ziggy Stardust from Amazon.

12. bonnerj

Mine, too, except for Cheap Thrills.

13. Col Kepper

Not all my albums were autoripped... for example, only a third of my Zappa CD "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol 5" is listed as well as just one of the three CDs in the "Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar" 3-CD set.

14. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

I thought this was interesting, too.

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Interesting, I downloaded the auto-rip of my AF b-52's cosmic thing and ran it through the dr meter
    What issue is this?
    foobar2000 1.1.16 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2013-01-10 11:41:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The B-52's / Cosmic Thing
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR14 -0.27 dB -15.50 dB 3:53 01-Cosmic Thing
    DR14 0.00 dB -15.61 dB 4:55 02-Dry County
    DR10 0.00 dB -12.04 dB 4:54 03-Deadbeat Club
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.68 dB 5:21 04-Love Shack
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.07 dB 5:07 05-Junebug
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.25 dB 4:53 06-Roam
    DR13 -0.04 dB -14.74 dB 4:57 07-Bushfire
    DR12 0.00 dB -13.30 dB 4:50 08-Channel Z
    DR13 -0.33 dB -15.62 dB 4:21 09-Topaz
    DR13 -0.29 dB -15.28 dB 4:09 10-Follow Your Bliss

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bitrate: 256 kbps
    Codec: MP3
    ================================================================================

16. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Same mastering?

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Interesting. I didn't receive an email from Amazon about this, but when I went to my account and looked at my digital library I see listings for many of the cds I've purchased.

I agree that the download of a specialty title like the AF Gold cds is likely just the regular mastering. It would actually make me happy if the AF mastering were available for download -- not because I'd want to download entire albums I want (for those, I buy the cds) but because many of the cds AF issues aren't interesting enough to me to buy. If I could just download one or two tracks from some of those albums, I'd overlook the lossy versus lossless aspect since, at a high enough bit rate, the downloads would still sound good.

18. KeithH

I wondered about that. This is good news. I have no interest in paying for MP3s, but I'll take them for free.

Are the Amazon MP3 locked into a cloud account or can they be downloaded to an iPhone, laptop, etc.?

19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

This isn't for MP3 buyers who want CDs, it's for CD buyers who want MP3s.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Cosmic Thing probably isn't a a good one to use for this experiment, as the only other mastering is the original 1989 CD which likely has similar DR values. If someone were to post a DR log of the "autorip" from their AF Heart "Greatest Hits" CD, that would be more illuminating.

21. Col Kepper

Can't tell.... for certain.

22. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

You can download them from the cloud and do whatever you want with them. There's an iOS app for Amazon Cloud, but it's a little clunky.

23. Col Kepper

They are downloadable.

24. Col Kepper

I rip my CDs on my own.... ogg vorbis for me or lossless FLAC.
    I have little use for mp3, but you can't really beat free. I assume they are DRM-free.

More: Just downloaded Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard by Paul Simon.
    I guess these are DRM free, but you need to authorize your machine with Amazon and you are allowed to authorize 9 more.
    The track I downloaded was 260kbps/ABR with LAME 3.98b
    These are also watermarked but the marking is easily erased.

25. KeithH

I buy CDs from Amazon all the time, but I see nothing in my digital library right now. Is it taking time for libraries to be updated? I bought the Cheap Thrills gold disc from Amazon (showed above as an AutoRip title), but I don't have the MP3 files in my library.

EDIT: I see that bonnerj doesn't have the Cheap Thrills MP3s either. In any case, I have no MP3s for Audio Fidelity gold discs I've bought from Amazon.

It's ironic that we can't get the free MP3s for Cheap Thrills. :D

Tuco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.