SH Spotlight A favorite Beatle candid shot, right before "on air" at the Ed Sullivan Theatre..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes it does. I remember watching the Beatles on TV that Sunday night. Like most of my friends we were in the grip of Beatlemania.

2. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

How did Ringo get up onto that pedestal? Did they wheel out some stairs or something? On the broadcast, you can see him leap off - dangerous in those 2" heels!

vonwegen likes this.
  4. Very cool pic which I've ever seen before. A few minutes after that was taken, my life was changed forever. Thanks for reviving this.

vonwegen likes this.
  5. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Absolutely stunning....thanks for making my day Steve !! Rory

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

You can do all sorts of crazy things when you're in your early 20s, including your own stunt work in movies.

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I think Henry Grossman may have taken the picture of the other photographers taking photos of the Beatles prior to their first Ed Sullivan performance.

8. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

Look under Ringo and through the riser. Three pairs of legs and six Beatle boots.

9. action pact

Good point.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Glad to help!

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"Sorry girls, he's married"

12. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I've always wondered how much that must have pis*** off Brian Epstein~!? All of his (and John's) careful hiding of that fact in the UK, and then just minutes into their US debut the whole country is told that John is married. In the (literally) hundreds of Beatles books I've read, I don't ever remember reading whose idea the "sorry, girls..." note was.

Oh BTW awesome picture, Steve :)

13. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

New desktop background. Thanks.

14. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It's a great photo, but it's doubtful this was taken immediately before going live on TV to play the February 9 evening performance. The first three songs of that performance (which started out with "All My Loving") were performed with entire group encircled by large arrow-shaped props. They should be visible in this photo if this was taken right before that live performance, as the stage would have been set up in advance for the first performing act of the show.

It seems likely this was a photo-op done before the taping that occured earlier in the day (which was broadcast two weeks later on February 23). That taped performance was the Beatles very first performance in front of Sullivan's cameras. Since there was less of a time crunch with the taped performance than with the live performance, the most plausible explanation is that Sullivan invited in the photographers for the taping. Indeed, when he introduces the Beatles for the live performance later that night, he makes remarks about the photographers and the press saying what a nice group the Beatles were...which is feedback he probably received earlier in the day.

15. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

This has nothing to do with the photo, but I've often wondered about the song selection for the first set. It is heavily tilted towards Paul. With such an important event in their career, I wonder why John let that happen. I'm surprised that he didn't want a strong lead vocal for himself in that first set....Please Please Me, for example.

16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

When you look at the performance they taped first on February 9 (for broadcast on February 23), it's more John (Twist and Shout, Please Please Me). The later performance that was aired live later that night was more Paul. Maybe they flipped a coin to see whose songs got highlighted in the live performance.

17. action pact

By 1964, I don't think it was much of a secret anymore.

18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Great photo!

19. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Trashman is correct, this is from the taping earlier in the day on February 9. There was no way Sullivan would allow any outsider on that stage and jeopardize coming back live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.